Canon 1100d

Naths vRS

Just bought my first slr camera (well tomorrow I will have), and was just wondering what's the largest size of SD card it will manage?  It's only for car meets etc. nothing too over the top as it's my first time doing it.  what accessories would people suggest (even if they use a different make)?  Will be getting a bag for it and already have a tripod as my hand's aren't always that still :D

I know i'm wanting an external flash like perhaps on a stand but don't want to go overboard just hope someone's got some ideas please :) Although with the flash i just buy the add on flashgun to give more light?

You'll fit a 512GB SD card in it if you want to spend more on the card than you did on the camera :D

A cheap lens like the 50mm f1.8 (nifty fifty) will give you some nice background blur and let you be a bit creative if you want to explore the world of manual settings and get the most out of the camera. I'd 110% recommend a battery grip if you're going to be using it a lot - not only can you fit another battery in it so you get twice the shooting time but it gives you a much more natural grip when shooting in a portrait orientation and can make the camera feel a bit more substantial if you have hands larger than a 12 year old. Downside is that it does add bulk and weight to the camera.

If you want off-camera flash then you're looking at spending £££ on a Canon solution as you'll need a controller on the camera and a compatible speedlite for the actual flash. Or you can go for some cheap Chinese radio triggers, or even cheaper - get a PC cord to cable a flashgun to the camera. A bit more ungainly but peanuts compared to the other options. When I started with off-camera flash I quickly found it to be a bit of a money-sink so you may be better off with a mid-range speedlite that you can angle the head and practice with bounce flash to start, but you'll probably get away without a flash for quite a while if you're new to SLR shooting - there's plenty to learn before you start adding strobes into the mix!

I would suggest more smaller memory cards. If one dies for any reason you haven't lost as many pictures and you have another to put in the camera. I use 16Gb in a 70D and get over 300 JPEG and RAW pictures on the each card. Lots of second hand lens on the market you just need to decide on what you want to photograph and get the appropriate one(s). Just my tuppence worth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have this flash - http://www.nissindigital.com/di866mkii.html

Use it on a 70D - really pleased with it and heck of a lot cheaper than the Canon equiv.

As for lens - decide on what you want to take pictures of then buy. Make do with the standard zoom for a while until you can finally decide on what to buy.

With lens, always buy the best you can afford. Doesn't have to be Caon L glass. I'm a fan of Sigma lens - their Art series are very good.

Most of all - enjoy using your new camera/

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest more smaller memory cards. If one dies for any reason you haven't lost as many pictures and you have another to put in the camera. I use 16Gb in a 70D and get over 300 JPEG and RAW pictures on the each card. Lots of second hand lens on the market you just need to decide on what you want to photograph and get the appropriate one(s). Just my tuppence worth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed - corrupt cards aren't rare and to lose hundreds of Gb of images would be gutting - best to have smaller but more cards

Re the lenses, i tend to steer away from 'super long' lenses as its a compromise at both ends - something like 18-200 or 18-300 sounds great as a walk around but i think its to long. I actually rate the 18-135 canon as a great walk around lens - good price and reasonable zoom length. It is a tad slow but anything fast i'd get a prime maybe 35mm on a cropped canon (i find my 50mm 1.4 too narrow on a cropped sensor).

Off topic slightly but i wouldn't bother with really long lens (unless you're mega serious am-pro sports/pap/twitcher) and would actually just buy something like nikon p900 (in addition to the dslr) with its 2000mm equiv lens at f6.5 for 400quid thats a long snooper! 

• Like 1