Dash Cam Install - Advice please?

Hello,

I have just bought a Nextbase 402G dash cam that I am looking to install in my Octavia. Does anybody have any advice on the best way to do this?

Is there a good ignition only 12v line to look for? I was linking I would connect a cigarette lighter onto it and connect it up that way. Alternatively I was considering getting one of the fuse piggyback thingys (Not sure what they are called?) and connecting it directly to the fuse box?

Any advice or experience would be much appreciated! :)

Hello again.

Piggyback from non essential 'ignition fed' fuse. (rear wiper) for me.

Run cabling from fuse box (don't remember the location on Octy mk1) up A Pillar and tuck into headlining along windscreen edge.

This will allow you to site the camera behind (from a driver's point of view) the rear view mirror, maintaining maximum field of vision through the front screen.

• Like 1

I used a piggyback fuse off the rear wiper fuse and a 12V to dual USB port adapter - one port connects to a long USB cable to the camera and the other to a shorter cable going to the cubby hole under the stereo. The A pillar dash trim is easy to remove and I just pushed the cable into the gap between the windscreen and head lining. I used cable ties to secure the wiring and USB adapter.

The fuse box is on the driver's side so I ran the USB cable up the driver's side A-pillar. I used a bit of bike gear/brake cable outer and taped end of the cable to it to get it from the A-pillar down to near the fuse box.

• Like 1

Sorry to jump in but didnt want to start another thread.

Just ordered a nextbase dash cam today & hardwiring kit (below). Could some please tell me which fuse i can piggy back off other than rear wiper on a octy mk1? Pulled fuse on rear wiper, had a mind of its own and never got around to sorting it.

Thank you :)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291517377396&globalID=EBAY-GB

Use the diagram here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/175843-fuse-panel-layout/

The fuse for the heated rear screen should be OK to use.

Thanks

So all my fitting kit etc. has turned up. Really easy installation, loads of room to run cable etc. piggybacked of the heated rear windscreen fuse. However i need a neutral connection. Can someone please point a layman in right direction please :). See attached photo

Thanks

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z477/willywonkar/Mobile%20Uploads/DB68316E-F01E-4231-861A-819297358F4C.jpg

The whole chassis of the car is -ve/neutral - I undid one of the large ish bolts somewhere under the steering wheel/behind fuse box and attached the wire there. It works but is probably not what a decent auto-electrician would do. Would be interested if anyone can advise a better option.

Thanks was hoping be even easier than that :) . So remove cover about pedal and see whats there. Was hoping one of the trox screws would provide me with a neutral but that didnt work

All sorted. Removed cover above pedals, slackened off one of the screws holding relay panel on and connected negative. Few photos below.

Do most people leave there camera showing at all times? Be a pig to keep removing. Just bothered about thieving toe rags when i leave my country manor :)

http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/willywonkar/library/Mobile%20Uploads