o2 sensor

hi, hope someone can help, my mechanic tells me i "probably" need a new sensor, however, he hasnt specified which one as i gather there are two, furthermore, on research, just because the amber  light is on doesnt automatically mean this? symptoms are -  very occasional loss of power momentarily when accelerating( maybe once a week) and,  when idling, the engine revs seem a bit lumpy and inconsistant, lastly, i checked my oil as light was on, it needed TWO litres of oil???and when i wiped the dipstick the oil looks almost brown, very dirty, its due a change now but i wondered is any of this likely to be related to my amber light, ive been driving with this light on for the last month, including a long journey to scotland, time to address this once and for all, THANKYOU

anyone who can offer some advice(by the way, it was plugged into a computer but this is all the info i received )

i am concerned, was wondering if it was connected, if not im all ears as to other possible causes, oil is changed every two years, i cannot lie, i doubt ive checked it since it was last changed :/

ive had it since new,its 6 y/o, always followed the service routine, never ever had a problem with it til now, im doing 10k max a year, so two year servicing is satisfactory? this is getting away from the point of the thread, i was hoping for some insight on the sensor/ amberlight thing, if all else fails i shall just have to go to a main dealer and get robbed blind :)

ive had it since new,its 6 y/o, always followed the service routine, never ever had a problem with it til now, im doing 10k max a year, so two year servicing is satisfactory? this is getting away from the point of the thread, i was hoping for some insight on the sensor/ amberlight thing, if all else fails i shall just have to go to a main dealer and get robbed blind :)

Why go to a Main Dealer, there must be a half decent inde garage near you who can advise further.

• 2 weeks later...

i may be stupid,  i accept that, i need a pre cat sensor for an octavia 1.6 mpi petrol dated 2010, any parts sites ive visted do not stock this or dont have this model, or they are too busy to talk, when a drop down list of models comes down its all about combi, bhp and 8v etc, how many names can my car have please can you tell me what model exactly i have that is the same as a 1.6 mpi 2010 petrol octavia, :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: thank you

06A906262BR seems like the part number you need, assuming your engine code is one of BSE, BSF, CHGA, or CCSA. This code will be on your car data stickers.

I got this info from here, cross-referencing for engine codes that matched the 1.6 petrol description in Mk2 Octavia engines listed in Wikipedia.

Ebay seems to have multiple listings for this part number. Decent motor factors ought to be able to cross-reference what they can get against that VAG part number.

• Like 1

thanks for the reply, seeing as this part appears to be 130-200 smackers  i want to be sure lol, lambda have confirmed the one i need, im just a bit concerned as another thread on here suggests the computer will diagnose this as the fault even if its just a dirty MAF, or a compromised manifold or hose, i guess my mechanic is the one i should be taking to check that out really :)

If the engine is burning oil excessively (oil loss + smokiness at tailpipe), that could account for impaired function of the pre-cat lambda as it has probably been coated in oily soot.  You could remove it to inspect?

As you say though, other things could possibly cause the same fault code(s) to appear.

Also; if the oil burning continues, the replacement lambda sensor may not function correctly for long.

• Like 1

wow, these things are all happening, so the oil burning is potentially a different issue? never had to top up oil in the first 5 years( oil was changed per the spec),but had to quite considerably recently, so maybe i need to solve that first? man i used to love this car, starting to look at her as ex girlfriend material now lol, thanks for your input, i really do appreciate it :)

lastly its only done 55000 miles, been well looked after,never been any bother,now, it sits at 825 revs when idle, then can stall, or sometimes goes to stall then picks back up by its self to 1000revs before settling down to 825 and perfect again, it seems like its a bit unwell to me, im reluctant to replace the sensor yet given your previous comment :/