Rate your gear, the good and bad of motorcycle clothing....

XLBaconDoubleCheese

Thought this would be a handy little reference for some of the new riders on here and even some of the more experienced ones when they get round to replacing gear. Yes, you can google a product and get plenty of reviews but often a long term user of a product can give a decent insight into a item. 

So basically, if you have had/have either shockingly poor or very good kit let us know. Just 2 things, firstly, details, make, model, price, type (ie winter or summer) are all important. Second, can we PLEASE try and keep this on topic unlike most of the other threads in here? :D 

So, I'll start with my ****ing awful boots.....

Richa Zenith - All season boots - £59

I bought these around March time, I needed some waterproof boots for my trip the month after. They're a mid length boot, initially they were very tight round my legs but soon loosened up. Used them for the trip and they were lovely but 4 months on and they're showing they're a budget boot. The inner sole of the right boot has started coming out with my foot, the left boot has started cracking on the inner side of it, I thought this was because of gear changing to start with but now the right boot is starting to crack on the outer side of the foot. They've not had much in the way of use, very poor I'd avoid them in future. 

JTS Biker clothing - Jacket & Trousers - £50-£130

Last year when I started out on my biking journey I needed to get some kit and I couldnt spank loads of cash. I ended up punting for some JTS own brand trousers and jacket, initially I got a pair of trousers and jacket but soon realised while they zipped together they left a gap between them when on the bike, at least big enough to get cold and wet. So, having been relatively impressed with the kit I bought another pair of each. The trousers have a kidney panel along with a pair of braces, 4 Pockets, zips on the bottom and two little zip vents on the thighs. They were sold as waterproof, and they were for the first ride in the wet, after that no so much. On the flip side they're comfortable, come with removable inner fleece type layer which I've not used much. With that removed they keep me fairly warm on cooler days, fairly cool on warmer days. Considering they're made most likely in China the quality is quite good. I've been using them over a year, the zips are all still nice and tight, no rips, cracks or splits. 

The same goes for the jacket more or less, seems to have stayed waterproof for a little longer, vents in the top of the chest area, inside pockets plus another 4 on the front, it's the longer type so overlaps my trousers. Also has a connecting zip to the trousers. Overall, considering the price point and the fact they are most likely made in China they offer good value imo. For the first timers who maybe arent sure they are 100% taken with biking but dont want to try it unprotected then these would be the perfect kit, I plan to upgrade next year, but I'll still keep this gear as back up. It might not be as good as Rukka kit but it's certainly better than just jeans or something. 

So, over to you guys, what kit do you rate, I need to get my wish list ready for next season. 

• Like 1

Alpinestar gloves. Always struggle to get gloves that actually fit without floppy fingers, Alpinestars fit perfect and all the stitching is in the right place so comfortable too. Expensive but as a main point of contact and control worth every penny.

Held textile jacket and trousers. Great fit with sine nice little details. Unfortunately due to weight loss they're getting too big for me so will be buying the same again but smaller.

Hein Gericke summer jacket. Years old and picked it up as an end of line sale. Ventilated to the max but still has the pockets for body armour. It feels like riding in a t shirt but with a degree of protection.

Boots. Used to love Oxtar but they don't fit like the did before. Alpinestars are my current boots but still not like the old Oxtar's.

Helmet. Used to be a Shoei guy as they fitted me head shape and quality/price was spot on. Now using an Arai Tour-X 4 which with the adjustable padding fits like no other helmet as before. Comfortable, light and well ventilated too. It's nice to take advantage of the service vans that Arai send out to events just for a free clean but also had a replacement visor when the original had a small crack at the hinge.

Wolf Outlast Titanium £250 (Jacket) £199 (Pants)

lasO7eF.jpg

RSEyrZI.jpg

I have had them both for over 4 years now and they have held out very well, they are nice and comfortable and fit really well. They are on par with any Gore-Tex stuff i have had the outlast does a real good job of keeping you cool and warm when needed.  The only problem i had was the pants got burnt on a stock exhaust and took a hole in them but i still used them for the France trip and they held out well.

I moved onto   

Wolf Titanium Leather (Jacket & Pants) £300 Jacket £250 Pants.

Again brilliant clothing and never had a issue with them both apart from like all leathers they start to go saggy in the arse like a sack of spuds ! I wore this two piece for a Scotland tour with waterproofs over the top, had them 3 years and even the writing on the shoulders of the jacket is still solid i thought it would have worn away.  Warm enough and with it zipped 1/4 down during real hot weather its cool enough as well. 

13kL8w4.jpg

6YGUHTR.jpg

R-PHA 10 Ben Spies REP   £399

So i had the Shoei XR1100 before this and this is a better fit for me, i wanted a ARAI but they just don't fit my head shape so i went looking and come across this. The helmet its self is nice and quiet and dosen't leak at all.  The helmet comes with a PINLOCK insert just like the Shoei and it also works very well. I had the original paint scheme 

gEhEHPg.jpg

4s2dYap.jpg

but it started to bubble a slight bit onto of the Monster emblem so i got in touch with HJC through my local dealer and they sorted me out a new one the new 2013 paint scheme

MnA0qqX.jpg

hRmJXhK.jpg

Again brilliant light helmet and i used that for Scotland i used the previous paint scheme for Scotland and the ventilation on it is brilliant. 

... Might update this post later on getting sidetracked watching GOTHAM :D

Adios. 

I've run all sorts of gear over the years but here's my current kit.

Bmw system 6 lid. £400. Light as a feather, stunningly quiet, amazing ventilation and a flip front for stroppy petrol stations.

Rukka arma s jacket . £1000. Stupidly expensive but it's the best. Perfect for daily commuting all year. A perfect fit, no flapping, warm in winter, cool in summer. Bone dry.

Rukka arma s trousers. £700. As above, incredible.

Daytona road star boots. £380. Had them for 11 years as good as new. Ridiculously comfy on or off the bike. Bone dry and toasty warm.

Racer & Alpinestars winter gloves £125. Bone dry, warm, comfy.

I have various other fun riding kit, furygan 1 pc leathers, Frank Thomas summer race boots, best affordable race gloves, Alpinestars leather track pants, hein gericke Goretex unlined race gloves.

My current gear is the best I've owned. Feel very very safe riding in it.

• Like 1

Alpinestar gloves. Always struggle to get gloves that actually fit without floppy fingers, Alpinestars fit perfect and all the stitching is in the right place so comfortable too. Expensive but as a main point of contact and control worth every penny.

I have loads of gloves, but my go to pairs are my Alpinestars GP Pros and 365 GTX, all day comfortable and feel like they'll offer a decent amount of protection. The 365s kept my hands bone dry in 130 miles of heavy rain and motorway spray too. They do a nice line in boots too, my Super tech Rs and SMX-R GTX are really comfy too, and the Supertech's probably have as much protection as anything short of an £800 pair of Daytonas. I have Daytona boots too (not the £800 ones, I think one pair are Roadsters, like Madrunner's) - v good quality bits of kit. Got Dainese boots too, those are v comfy, goretex lined and seem really well made too. And my go to trousers are a pair of old Dainese P103s that are proper comfy, and as good as new, after years of use, and many thousands of miles. Helmets - Arai every time, no contest. Leather jackets, again, got more than I need, my favourites are my Furygans and a couple of Arlen Ness - well made from quality cowhide, very comfortable and stylish.

One of my favourite bits of kit is my Oxford battery powered heated vest I mentioned in another thread - brilliant, wouldn't be without it.

Edited by StripleR675

• 2 weeks later...

Gear that hasn't been mentioned so far and is worth keeping an eye out for soon is Aldi's thermal compression tops & thermal trousers.

I bought a few pairs of them a couple of years ago which have lasted really well and they are highly rated by MCN and the likes.

They are a great fit, do what they say on the tin and at £10 each from memory are a very good buy.

Not Aldi but I bought a compression top last year and if you can stand the tightness they are very good.  Wore it in the winter under another thin jumper and I was sweating when I took my jacket off.  So having seen those advertised at Aldi in the past thanks for the reminder must go and invest. :thumbup:

Sounds like a good deal except lids are really difficult to find a make or model that fits properly so price for me or style for that matter doesn't come into it.  It has to fit well and be comfortable as it has to do it's job and be OK to wear for hours on end without ripping your ears off or crushing the cheek bones.

• Like 1

Sounds like a good deal except lids are really difficult to find a make or model that fits properly so price for me or style for that matter doesn't come into it. It has to fit well and be comfortable as it has to do it's job and be OK to wear for hours on end without ripping your ears off or crushing the cheek bones.

I'm well aware how helmets are supposed to fit bud, just letting the Brisky massive know about the deal which is bloody brilliant. Pop along, try em on and if it fits then brilliant :)

• Like 1

You lot all pay too much for gear :D

Nice price on the lids Davie, about a year or so too late for me as you know.

My wifes one is still perfect btw, and I wear it from time to time as well.

I'll be buying one of those Shark light up jobbies when I get my next bike. My current

lid matches the old outgoing bike, so I'm happy to renew it when I get new wheels..

• Like 1

You lot all pay too much for gear :D

Nice price on the lids Davie, about a year or so too late for me as you know.

My wifes one is still perfect btw, and I wear it from time to time as well.

I'll be buying one of those Shark light up jobbies when I get my next bike. My current

lid matches the old outgoing bike, so I'm happy to renew it when I get new wheels..

How the devil are ya Gary?

Seen you hadn't been on much and hoped everything was ok with yourself and the missus.

Glad to hear mrsgrr still using the lid.

Need to try and pop down to one of the Brisky biker meets.....Long way from Glasgow though lol