DIY Servicing + Inspection?

ippo88

Hi,

I'm in two minds whether to take the car to the Skoda dealer for servicing or not.  It's 09 plate and hitting 70k.

I've read a couple of threads on changing oil and filters and I'm thinking of giving it a go myself. 

The only thing I guess i'm still thinking about is the 'road test' and 'inspection' that Skoda would do as part of the service, I've never personally had one before (bought car at 55k) and I'm wondering if it's worth it?

To all the chaps doing DIY service on their cars, is there a check list you go for to make sure the car isn't heading for a disaster, I mean does anyone check the cambelt is okay?  Or how would I go about doing that?

Thanks

Oil & Filter Services are just that. Changing Oil & Filter.

The Road Test might or might not get done and a Technician / Fitter doing it might notice Steering or Braking or handling issues.

But,

you want more than Oil & Oil Filter you want Service & Maintenance, 

and not just Hinges Lubed, Tyres & Pressures Checked, Fluids Checked,

you will be needing over the years and miles, the likes of Brake Fluid Changed, Air, Cabin and Fuel Filter changed when required. Brakes, Steering, Suspension components inspected.

Maybe go to a Good Independent,  or Evening Classes in Basic Car Maintenance.

You might get more done than at a £150 Minor or £250 Major Skoda Service of very little done, but Fluids / Filters,

and a Report on stuff required, (or not) , Vacuum & Car Washed.

Most of the stuff you should replace/check is easy. The MOT check everything else! I did a list for my Fabia which had all the MOT stuff removed from the service list. I then added my other items & altered the intervals to my shorter liking.

MOTs are once a year and they might point out failings when Failing or giving an Advisory, 

so at least doing some service and maintenance between times has a vehicle looked at twice a year but it is good if the person looking knows what they are looking at or for.

Some real damage and wear and tear happens over a 12 month period, and there will usually be a winter in a 12 month period.

Doing the oil and filter is straightforward. Doing many other checks and jobs, such as brake pads or fluid, is too.  Knowing how frequently to inspect/replace is also straightforward to look up in a Haynes manual or ask your main dealer.

The road test as part of the service..... Does the car come up to temp stabilise, run and sound OK? Tick job done.   That's all I'd expect.