What Fabia have I bought?

I am a bit confused as to what Fabia model I have?

I ordered a 2016 Fabia Hatch; manual; MY16; 1200. I wanted a cruise control+REAL spare-wheel so added the 'Travel Pack' that also gave 16" alloys; LED daytime front; wobbly-steering when falling asleep; and other stuff that 'just-came' with pack. I also went with the 'Care Pack' extended warranty+free 3 services that seemed good value. Build-date: 6/2015 Compliance date: 8/2015, so probably got one of the first in Oz??

Now the queries:

I now learn it's a 'Fabia III" Wasn't told, no worries! Nice!

The Invoice said: FABIA NJ MY16 FABIA AMB TS 66/1.2 M5F  Where's the "I" gone from TSI and what does this mean? Whats 'M5F' mean?

So, it's a Fabia 'AMBITION?' No-one told me? (Doesn't matter but confusing.) What's an 'Ambition?'

===========

What I've discovered so-far:

1. Engine stops when in neutral at traffic-lights. Fix: Give 'finger' to honking-Holden-driver behind, depress clutch, away I go!

2. On hill, 2 second brake hold-on allowing easy drive-off.

3. Turn left or right window-wipers come-on. Have to learn trafficators on left! Duh!

4. Follow digital display about gear-changes (happens @ 2000 rpm) matches my 'sedate' hair-grey-colour. (Slows me down as my previous Jazz often had wheel-spin!)

5. Wouldn't let me reverse out of garage as ultrasonic rear sensors requested, 'Look behind.' Found solution on touch-screen. Touch 'Symbol.'

6. Indicators come-on when using cruise. Be 'gentle' with stalk!

7. Pairs easily with wifey's iPhone 4, not tried my Samsung C5220 yet. (She even claims it got an eBook from her iPad that wasn't on the iPhone???)

More to discover!

Must admit, it takes me back to those years when my thighs quivered in anticipation! And THIS is just a, 'Fabia!'

M5F will be the gearbox, manual 5 speed and "f" for ?

Edit:- I'm not too sure yet about the "hill hold assist" - I've only felt it a few times.

Stop/Start, yes I was worried about that, it seems to work well, though I think that it switches off the engine when you open a door, need to check a bit more as it is wife's car (Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL)

My oldest daughter was "down your way" for a year as an exchange primary school teacher in Perth, she ran a Holden, well a 1998 Barrina(?) VX Corsa in UK speak! Still a Holden though if only a very very small one!

Edited by rum4mo

Ambitions is the equipment version. There's 3: Active, Ambition and Style. Active has few standard equipment while Style has the most. Ambition is in the middle of those.

Three? Howcome mine is an "Elegance"?

You sound surprised that a MkIII turned up, did you think you were ordering a MkII?

Are the trim levels not mentioned in the brochure? You discovered the options pack but not the standard specifications?

Do the dealers in Australia not do a hand-over when you pick up your new car?

They should really sit with you in the car and run through all of the features, so for example when you reach the first set of traffic lights and the stop/start kicks in you don't think the car has broken down etc.

I'm getting the impression that the whole buying process down under is a world away from what we're used to here in the UK!?

I am a bit confused as to what Fabia model I have?

I ordered a 2016 Fabia Hatch; manual; MY16; 1200. I wanted a cruise control+REAL spare-wheel so added the 'Travel Pack' that also gave 16" alloys; LED daytime front; wobbly-steering when falling asleep; and other stuff that 'just-came' with pack. I also went with the 'Care Pack' extended warranty+free 3 services that seemed good value. Build-date: 6/2015 Compliance date: 8/2015, so probably got one of the first in Oz??

Now the queries:

I now learn it's a 'Fabia III" Wasn't told, no worries! Nice!

The Invoice said: FABIA NJ MY16 FABIA AMB TS 66/1.2 M5F  Where's the "I" gone from TSI and what does this mean? Whats 'M5F' mean?

So, it's a Fabia 'AMBITION?' No-one told me? (Doesn't matter but confusing.) What's an 'Ambition?'

===========

What I've discovered so-far:

1. Engine stops when in neutral at traffic-lights. Fix: Give 'finger' to honking-Holden-driver behind, depress clutch, away I go!

2. On hill, 2 second brake hold-on allowing easy drive-off.

3. Turn left or right window-wipers come-on. Have to learn trafficators on left! Duh!

4. Follow digital display about gear-changes (happens @ 2000 rpm) matches my 'sedate' hair-grey-colour. (Slows me down as my previous Jazz often had wheel-spin!)

5. Wouldn't let me reverse out of garage as ultrasonic rear sensors requested, 'Look behind.' Found solution on touch-screen. Touch 'Symbol.'

6. Indicators come-on when using cruise. Be 'gentle' with stalk!

7. Pairs easily with wifey's iPhone 4, not tried my Samsung C5220 yet. (She even claims it got an eBook from her iPad that wasn't on the iPhone???)

More to discover!

Must admit, it takes me back to those years when my thighs quivered in anticipation! And THIS is just a, 'Fabia!'

Assuming my fellow Aussie's humour has not been lost on the rest of the crowd, I'll clear up some of the confusion.

All  Australian-spec Fabias are the Ambition model, with additional pre-selected option packs (Travel Pack, Sports Pack, Premium Sports etc).  Given it is a manual, it will be the 66TSI (or 90PS) model as the 81TSI (110PS) only comes with the DSG.  This is the tyranny of distance and a 6 week boat trip over.

Also, for the benefit of the rest of forum, we only got the Mk2 Fabia before this one - and it was never referred to as such.  I only realised there was one before that when I came onto these forums as well.

As for the general car buying experience here, can't give too much comment as I usually know more than the rep when I rock up. Once they have your money, they don't really care anymore - especially VAG dealers unfortunately.That being said, my Skoda has been great so no complaints so far.

• Like 2

Thanks jxenos, yes the dealership even admitted that I probably knew more as they never had any III's delivered yet and it was so new it hadn't got onto their database. Nevertheless they were very accommodating, professional and I felt more like a 'family-member' which is quite strange for a vehicle dealership.

The Fabia is quite something. In the short time so far it has changed my driving-style, in that I use the 'change-gear-now' prompt only exceeding revs as limited as possible. I get the impression that when run-in it will have more torque than my Jazz.

The handbook is well-written and I prefer the .pdf version on the Mac. (Eyes!) As a Sessional I do @ 100 km/day when programmed so it will be interesting to see the mpg.

It's a great buy and I am very happy and proud of it.

• 1 month later...

May have to retract my previous statement - was due to pick up my car tomorrow - called today to confirm what time to turn up only to be told that the dealer hadn't received it yet and to call back next week - thanks for the heads up, guys!

Really itching to get this car now...

• 3 weeks later...