Sound deadening

munstaar

This was mentioned in another thread to help with road noise reduction. I've had a quick look online, and people generally find that it gives the car a more quality feel overall (I.e less tinny).

I love the sound of that (;p). Has anyone used such products on their fabia? What did you use? And can you confirm the noise reduction and does the car feel less of an empty shell?

Cheers guys.

I've used it before, not on the Fabia but on a Civic EP3 for an audio install. Did the boot floor and front doors, it made a hell of a difference to sound quality and there indeed was more of a thud when you closed the doors and less road noise overall. 

In my eyes it's well worthwhile doing if you use your car for a daily/commuter as it will reduce the road noise by a noticeable amount and make it more comfortable. I think I posted a link in the other thread for some deadening which is good quality. 

The main areas to reduce road noise would be the boot floor, foot-wells and front door cards.

Secondary areas if you've enough material left would be the walls of the boot (paying particular attention to the arch areas), rear doors and a-pillars. 

An added benefit will also be better sound quality from the sound system, even if it's standard! 

Edited by mattbvRS

Nice one matt. Yes I've had a look at the link you provided. My vrs is indeed a daily commuter, so think this is a very useful mod.

Here's hoping someone who's done it to their fabia comes along with their experiences too.

Cheers.

You can get a cheaper bulk pack for around £40 on that website if £80 is a bit much in one go. Maybe give that a go first see how you get on?

Ideally the stuff has to be applied directly to the metalwork so you'll likely have to rip up the carpets and underlay to get to the foot well areas and remove the door cards/protective skin to get at the door shells. 

My old Corsa had a fair amount of sound deadening in the doors put in by me. I still think it sounded a lot better than my VRS that has the exact same set up from my Corsa except the deadening :) it's defintely on my list of things to do.

Sounds like the way to go. Will give the fabia some love and get some ordered in. I've had the vrs for 2yrs now, originally bought it on a whim, cheap diesel commuter etc. Ive done 40k trouble free miles in it since. Absolutely loving it. Its definitely not the best built car, quality wise, so this mod should hopefully go a long way.

Cheers guys.

After reading this, I've decided i'm keeping my vrs for a while now so might spend some more money on  it and this was one of the jobs I think ill do.

Ive considered doing the front doors, possibly rears? The boot area, spare wheel well and possibly the car floor, having read tim's thread on here this is the type ill possibly be looking at:)

http://www.silentcoat.co.uk/collections/silent-coat

If you do go through with it would you mind letting me know how you get on,

Thanks 

Jamie

No idea mate. Think ill start with the areas easily accessible and then see what difference it makes, then if required, move onto other tricky areas.

There is an engine blanket that some brands do, not sure how useful it would be though.

Group Buy??

I don't mind asking the question, If you wanted as its something i'm definitely  interested in. This was the one I was looking at, as mentioned it seems to get good reviews and think you could cover a lot of the car with this size. I read Tim's fabia thread on here and he did the front doors, boot liner, rear arches and the spare wheel well.

http://www.silentcoat.co.uk/collections/silent-coat

The bulk pack is 84.99 with free delivery, I could ask if there would be any discount for instance if 5 or 10 people put their names down. Its always worth a try

Jamie

Just got an email back from a guy called Mike from Sound Deadening Shop

He has said that he can offer a 10% discount bringing the price down to £76.49 which includes free next working day deliver if ordering before 3pm.

Use checkout code: SKODASC10

http://www.deadening.co.uk/products/silent-coat-2mm-deadening-mat

He's also said that he will keep the code open for forum members so hopefully there will be no time limit. Hope this helps, I'll be ordering mine fairy soonish possibly after payday.

Jamie

• Like 2

You can go all out if your willing to put the effort in but the critical areas are the front doors, the boot area including the arches and under the rear seat.

The damping mat will reduce the tinging from metal panels but you only need 25% coverage to be effective anymore and your just adding weight, ideally you then want to cover it with some mass layer vinyl that will actually the block unwanted noise and in areas like door cards you may want to add some ccf to decouple the panels to stop unwanted vibrations being transferred.

Good luck it's worth the investment and it made my install sound much better. If you want to do it on more of a budget then look up some cloud 9 underlay, it's great for using on the floor pan and where ever else you can fit it.