Energy Efficient Tyres

Expatman

I recently replaced the original Cont 2's on my 1.2 TSi DSG Yeti with Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres. I have always monitored fuel consumption on a brim-to-brim basis and over 36,000 miles have averaged 41.3 MPG with mix of rural, urban and some motorway driving. However, the fuel consumption after the first complete tank full (463 miles) with the new tyres is a remarkable 46.1 MPG; same driving pattern, same routes, same speeds so can only think the new tyres must have something to do with the improvement.

Anyone else noticed this type of improvement with more energy efficient tyres? 

My Yeti also came on Cont 2's and I've just replaced them with Michelin Cross Climates. Early days yet but they feel very free-running and for journeys I regularly do Maxidot seems to be indicating better mpg. They also seem noticeably quieter than the Cont 2 tyres. Like you I always fill brim-to-brim so in a few weeks will be able to post whether reality lives up to this early promise. 

• Like 1

I recently replaced the original Cont 2's on my 1.2 TSi DSG Yeti with Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres. I have always monitored fuel consumption on a brim-to-brim basis and over 36,000 miles have averaged 41.3 MPG with mix of rural, urban and some motorway driving. However, the fuel consumption after the first complete tank full (463 miles) with the new tyres is a remarkable 46.1 MPG; same driving pattern, same routes, same speeds so can only think the new tyres must have something to do with the improvement.

I recently purchased these tyres also. Great deal for home fitting from Kwikfit also, worked out cheaper than Mytyres. Slightly higher load rating than my previous factory fitted Goodyear Excellence, and a db quieter, better wet braking, and a much higher fuel efficiency rating. The best ride yet, even better than my Winter Continentals, that I preferred to my old Goodyear Excellence.

Edited by jeep

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on latest MPG. Just returned from holiday in Cornwall - 400+ miles each way of mainly Motorway & Dual carriageway driving at 70 MPH. On trip down true MPG was 45.02 and on return journey was true 46.49 MPG. Trip down MPG includes some local driving while we were there. These figures are better than I have achieved before so can only conclude that the more energy efficient Goodyear tyres must be the reason for the improved MPG. Quite impressed!!

Quick update on latest MPG. Just returned from holiday in Cornwall - 400+ miles each way of mainly Motorway & Dual carriageway driving at 70 MPH. On trip down true MPG was 45.02 and on return journey was true 46.49 MPG. Trip down MPG includes some local driving while we were there. These figures are better than I have achieved before so can only conclude that the more energy efficient Goodyear tyres must be the reason for the improved MPG. Quite impressed!!

p

Hi what is your tyre pressure

p

Hi what is your tyre pressure

32 PSI (2.2 Bar) - standard recommended pressure. Car is on 215 60 R16 Goodyear EfficientGrip performance tyres. I am one of the few who got Skoda UK to supply an Elegance spec Yeti with 16" wheels.

I've noticed that my new 150tdi has an Econ tyre pressure listed inside the fuel filler flap of 2.5 bar  all around.

I'm now running at that, and i've noticed no loss of ride comfort on 225/50/17 Continentals.

I've noticed that my new 150tdi has an Econ tyre pressure listed inside the fuel filler flap of 2.5 bar  all around.

I'm now running at that, and i've noticed no loss of ride comfort on 225/50/17 Continentals.

My comparison is with the previous Conti 2's running at the same recommended pressure of 32 psi. I will be interested to see how much the MPG deteriorates when I switch to winter tyres at the end of October'ish. I suspect it will revert to the same as last winter of low 40's MPG.