skoda octavia scout transmission clunks...

Picked up a 5 year old skoda octavia scout from a dealership, driving it home yesterday everything is great along twisty minor roads, A roads, motorways. Smooth gears, transmission, quiet as a door mouse. Parked up, did some shopping, then drove home.

Arriving at the village where I live, 10-15% gradients on a snaking road for 1/4 mile. When I reached this and changed down to 3rd gear, there was some clunking noise from the transmission. Again at another incline. At the top, the road levelled out, no problem, drive up to my house (minor gradient and change down gears, no problem).

Could someone advise if this is simply the 4x4 engaging, or a transmission related problem?

thanks

What is the mileage, and do you know when the Haldex oil was changed? It should be done every 40k.

I have a 5yo Scout TDi, 74k and I have no clunking. It does occasionally baulk when found into 1st or reverse, but that's about it.

The haldex oil change is not a routine servicing item so a lot of dealers forget about it. As far as I can see its not marked on the servicing book, I may be wrong on that though.

When I looked into getting mine done the two dealerships had to get back to me to confirm the cost and when it should be done.

I have a 2010 Tsi Scout. It's just done 30k ( going next month in exchange for a Superb ). It had the Haldex oil changed at 4 years. Didn't cost much. Never had any kind of clunking from the Transmission. Always been perfectly smooth and quiet no matter what the terrain.

Theirs no noise when the Haldex kicks in. It just does it's stuff silently in the background.

On a five year old Scout the Haldex (Gen2) oil change interval is every 40,000 miles. As mentioned nearly all dealers don't do it as it isn't listed properly.

Get it done for peace of mind. My local Skoda dealer charged me £60 a few years ago.

However changing the oil won't cure the clunk.

The internals in the transfer box / dif aren't happy or the prop is loose, or of course it could be gearbox related instead.

Get it back to the dealer ASAP whilst it is still in warranty.

Agree with all the above. I bought my Scout at 51,000 miles. Haldex oil hadn't been changed. It was the first thing I had done.

Try this first - not expensive - and see how it is. I doubt the clunk is just oil-related though.

As you bought from a dealership (was it a Skoda dealer?), take it back and have them sort it out.

Good luck buddy!

Cheers.

On a five year old Scout the Haldex (Gen2) oil change interval is every 40,000 miles. As mentioned nearly all dealers don't do it as it isn't listed properly.

Get it done for peace of mind. My local Skoda dealer charged me £60 a few years ago.

However changing the oil won't cure the clunk.

The internals in the transfer box / dif aren't happy or the prop is loose, or of course it could be gearbox related instead.

Get it back to the dealer ASAP whilst it is still in warranty.

I thought it was a Gen 4 Haldex in my Scout ?