Possible buyer having questions

ptae2000e

Hello,

I'm thinking to replace my 3 door VW up with a Fabia. Some questions that I still have even after a lot of reading and browsing forums and watching youtube videos...

• is 55kW MPI engine ok, or would you recommend 66kW TSI? I drove two passengers in the up, which is approximately the 150kg weight difference between empty up and Fabia - and that was acceptable... so should I be fine with MPI engine?
  • up has no sound insulation at all at some parts - is Fabia better?
  • is maxi dot display just a higher resolution display but with same functionality?
  • anything else I should be aware of? My main reasons to upgrade are impracticality of 3 doors, gearbox that doesn't feel it would last, poor insulation, suspension that's too stiff for local country roads.
  • I'm thinking to get a used test car from my local dealer, had a good experience with them before. I won't be able to exchange the steel roof later for the nice glass one, would I?
  • ... however could I ask them to add original Skoda parking sensors, would the central computer recognize them?

<p>Hello, I'm thinking to replace my 3 door VW up with a Fabia. Some questions that I still have even after a lot of reading and browsing forums and watching youtube videos...

• is 55kW MPI engine ok, or would you recommend 66kW TSI? I drove two passengers in the up, which is approximately the 150kg weight difference between empty up and Fabia - and that was acceptable... so should I be fine with MPI engine? Go for the TSI. The MPI lacks power and torque and will be painful at too many situations like overtaking and steep hills.
  • up has no sound insulation at all at some parts - is Fabia better?Well, you tell us after a test drive :). Im finding my Fab more quiet than the former Mercedes.
  • is maxi dot display just a higher resolution display but with same functionality? Yep. There may be some more options, though.
  • anything else I should be aware of? My main reasons to upgrade are impracticality of 3 doors, gearbox that doesn't feel it would last, poor insulation, suspension that's too stiff for local country roads. Stick to standard 15" wheels and suspension, then.
  • I'm thinking to get a used test car from my local dealer, had a good experience with them before. I won't be able to exchange the steel roof later for the nice glass one, would I? At a cost anything is possible, but to stay in the real world, no.
  • ... however could I ask them to add original Skoda parking sensors, would the central computer recognize them? Isnt that an option when ordering?

- sorry, embedded answers seems not to be an option here...

Edited by pfaff
  • Like 1

Thanks! Yes, I know I can ask for any additional parts, but I wasn't sure if perhaps additional sensors need a different central computer or something and can't be fitted to just any car. I'll ask. So I'll probably go for a TSI, the dealer has several nice ones... and make sure to get wheels and suspension as suggested.

Edited by ptae2000e

• 3 weeks later...

Additional questions... I plan to fit an aftermarket radio and loudspeakers; I could purchase them while I'm waiting for the car. What size speakers would I need and how many? How much space is there, if any, under seats for a small flat subwoofer? Radio will be most likely Pioneer FH-X720, cheap yet powerful enough and with bluetooth that Blues radio is missing. I've downloaded the main one and radio manuals, but there is nothing in there regarding speaker sizes etc.

The 1.0 75ps engine is adequate, and mine has loosened up a lot during running in. Very well insulated and refined - you would never guess it only had 3 cylinders. You just have to change down a gear on long hills.

The gearbox feels great, and reverse gear is back in the proper place with the 1.0 engine (between 4th & 5th).

SE (mid-range) spec in the UK has Bluetooth as standard so no need to be cutting up the lovely touchscreen stereo (which itself forms part of the car's own computer, allowing you to change many vehicle settings, aswell as including Surround Sound & Virtual Subwoofer) - don't bother changing the stereo - your car may not function without it.

SE comes with the maxi-dot computer, which is a large-display multi-function trip computer including driving data from your current journey, your last refuel, and long term.

Nobody sensible is going to butcher a brand new Fabia's metal roof to retrofit the glass roof. Order it as an option from the factory. 

I couldn't get a good deal on the used top spec TSI car as I've initially planned, so currently I'm looking at a brand new entry spec 75ps MPI. Here in Croatia, though, entry spec comes only with Blues radio without bluetooth, and it's not possible to upgrade it to Swing or Bolero. I didn't know it would be so difficult to replace it. It seems, then, I'll have to leave Blues in place... well, I've liked how it looks anyway; the less buttons and distractions, the better. And a bluetooth-aux adapter is far cheaper than the whole radio. Good thing that I've asked here first before ordering anything. :)

The TSI 110 is a great engine. With the DSG 'box it is a tremendous combination and suits the Fabia perfectly. With about 1200 miles on, mine is feeling very similar to my old Mk1 vRS. Sports seats would be my only addition...possibly.

• Like 1

Hi mate. Sorry you might not be able to get the deal you hoped for on the Fabia 1.2tsi. If you are going to test drive both engines, see if you can give a new Citigo a drive too. I had a Fabia tsi dsg and swapped for a Citigo. We now have 2 - mine and mum's. There is a difference in that the new Citigo's gearbox seems quieter than the older one (improvements?) and the one on steel 14' wheels is noticeably softer on the bad roads round here than the one on 15' alloys and lowered greentech suspension. You might find a new one better than yours and that you can get one for your budget with the glass roof (I have it and like it very much!). Mum actually prefers the back seat of the Citigo to the Fabia. I also had a 1.0mpi Fabia on basic steel wheels on holiday with 2 passengers and it rode well and was fast enough, though you did sometimes reach the limit of its performance on hills. Good luck.

Hi mate. Sorry you might not be able to get the deal you hoped for on the Fabia 1.2tsi. If you are going to test drive both engines, see if you can give a new Citigo a drive too. I had a Fabia tsi dsg and swapped for a Citigo. We now have 2 - mine and mum's. There is a difference in that the new Citigo's gearbox seems quieter than the older one (improvements?) and the one on steel 14' wheels is noticeably softer on the bad roads round here than the one on 15' alloys and lowered greentech suspension. You might find a new one better than yours and that you can get one for your budget with the glass roof (I have it and like it very much!). Mum actually prefers the back seat of the Citigo to the Fabia. I also had a 1.0mpi Fabia on basic steel wheels on holiday with 2 passengers and it rode well and was fast enough, though you did sometimes reach the limit of its performance on hills. Good luck.

Great idea and actually I've already thought about some variations of it, however... I don't want to get an Up again, it has its advantages but still I'd rather exchange it for something else; also new Fabia and Up with similar equipment cost about the same. A new upgraded Citigo might be a good alternative (I've actually wanted to buy a Citigo before getting the Up), but whoever is responsible for importing Skoda cars to Croatia, stopped importing Citigos a couple of years ago. :( The lineup starts with Fabia, for some time already. All the Citigos in classifieds are about as old as my Up, so I assume share the same faults from the early years of production. Importing from another country is possible and not prohibitively expensive, but, eh, too many complications and unknown and unplanned expenses... Opel Karl is another interesting alternative, however even the most expensive version doesn't have the front assistant automatic trouble avoidance braking thingy that I could specify for cheapest Fabia. I'd specifically like that; while I wasn't involved in an accident yet, say my uncle lost all his teeth in one, didn't see a car in front of him in time. So for now I'm going to stick with Fabia and talk to new dealer on Monday, they already mentioned free insurance and that "other benefits are possible", a reduction in price hopefully being one...

• Like 1

Another reader in a different thread mentioned that VW/Audi/Skoda may be very keen to sell lots of new motors soon and there may be some good deals coming. No promises but it might be worth waiting a bit.

Wow - sorry they are not importing the Citigo any more but, if you can get the Fabia for similar money, I am sure you will be happy with it. The basic one with 1.0mpi and smaller steel wheels I had on holiday was very comfortable. Do they import the SEAT Mii?

I’m planning to buy a new Fabia Combi 1.2TSI 110ps DSG, I have some questions.

1. Does sport suspension mean only shorter/stiffer springs and everything else in the chassis is the same (shocks for example)?

2. About tinted windows – is it possible to choose the % of the darkness? In my country (Estonia) there are 4 equipment levels available (Active, Ambition, Elegance and Monte Carlo) for Fabia. Ambition and Elegance levels have windows in green color as standard – if I order tinted windows are these going to be green in any case? I’m going to choose between Ambition or Elegance levels only.

Tõnu

1. Does sport suspension mean only shorter/stiffer springs and everything else in the chassis is the same (shocks for example)?

2. About tinted windows – is it possible to choose the % of the darkness? In my country (Estonia) there are 4 equipment levels available (Active, Ambition, Elegance and Monte Carlo) for Fabia. Ambition and Elegance levels have windows in green color as standard – if I order tinted windows are these going to be green in any case? I’m going to choose between Ambition or Elegance levels only.

Tõnu

Ive got an Elegance with the sport package - but have no idea if it differs besides the 15 mm lower ground clearance, possibly stiffer springs.

Also "sunset", tinted windows . Fixed value. Looks dark grey from the outside but grey/greenish from the inside. The green color is suposed to be heat-reflectant.

Wow - sorry they are not importing the Citigo any more but, if you can get the Fabia for similar money, I am sure you will be happy with it. The basic one with 1.0mpi and smaller steel wheels I had on holiday was very comfortable. Do they import the SEAT Mii?

No, no Mii either (while they do have the rest of the Seat range), only Up of the three. Yet Toyota and others do sell all three versions of Aygo/C1/whatsitsname. Weird.

Test drove a 1.0 mpi Fabia, had no complaints at all, feels very nice to me. On a familiar hilly road, it was capable of going upwards in third gear - exactly as Up. Significantly quieter and with better suspension, as expected. Now only to make the final decision... I'm not too happy with dealer prices, but all dealers refuse to go any lower. I could get free insurance and servicing for the first couple of years though, which, in total, would be about as good as getting a good discount, and some financing plans look reasonable...

Regarding suspension, wasn't interested in sport one but asked what happens with 'rough roads package': it makes the car about 7 mm higher and suspension is softer than standard one. Web configurator pages in some countries seem to incorrectly claim it's stiffer.

Edited by ptae2000e

Glad you liked the Fabia. I'm sure the ride is fine if you stay on the smaller wheels but nice to have the option of the higher 'rough road package'. Free insurance and servicing are good to have and I went for 0% finance PCP on mum's Citigo - fixed monthly amount and hand it back at the end. We have websites in this country that find you a good deal from a main dealer like carwow and carfile but I guess you don't have them. It all depends on getting a good price for your trade in though. If they won't play ball perhaps wait till they are desperate near Christmas! Good luck.

Edited by fabandy

A question about Xenon lights - if changing only bulbs in head lights for Xenon ones will it be ok for drivers driving towards you or not? In some cars - 2010 Kia Pro_cee'd for example - the front lights are built in a way that Xenon bulbs don't blind other drivers, did test that. Changing only the bulbs is not legal, I know, but let's leave that aside for now, just a technical question about how Fabia's head lights are built.

Tõnu

I've found another Fabia at another dealer - perfect in every way and with fair price, except it doesn't have the front assistant thingy. Do I really need that? I'd feel safer with it, but I don't want to miss a great opportunity due to my stubbornness... Then again, due to Murphy's law, if I don't have it, I am going to need it...  :think: 

I've found another Fabia at another dealer - perfect in every way and with fair price, except it doesn't have the front assistant thingy. Do I really need that? I'd feel safer with it, but I don't want to miss a great opportunity due to my stubbornness... Then again, due to Murphy's law, if I don't have it, I am going to need it...  :think:

It's the first car I've had with it and to be honest, whilst it's a good safety aid, I wouldn't be bothered if I didn't have it, it wouldn't stop me buying a car without it.

i have front assist on mine and tbh I really don't need it. It pops up a symbol if i am too close to another vehicle etc but if you're driving properly you hardly see it in use anyway. no need in my book. 

Tõnu

Talked to the dealer, they told me that the sport suspension means only shorter/stiffer springs and tinted windows will be greenish from the factory, it's possible to choose the % of the tint (if it's not 35% that you get from the factory when you order tinted windows) and the tint job is done by the dealer for 190 eur.

Tõnu

• 4 weeks later...

At cold weather, let's say -10..-15C, does the 1.2TSI 110hp warm the cabin quickly enough or not? For comparison - I had a 2010 Kia Ceed with a non-turbo 1.6 petrol engine and it's cabin got warm very quickly in winter. I've read some comments recently in other forums that the 1.2TSI takes it's time to reach it's working temperature and you should get warmer clothes ready for winter. I mainly drive only 7km distance between home and work.

Tõnu