Fabia VRS handbrake

caelite

Hey folks

So I was taking my Fabia in for its last MOT before I popped it up for sale (dont need the diesel anymore due to lower mileage). Passed with flying colours with the exception of the rear driverside handbrake. Mechanic told me the brakes are working fine but the back right caliper is stuck in the handbrake ON position and is applying no force when the handbrake is actually on. He also said he tried to free up the arm that the handbrake pulls but he said it wasnt doing anything and I would need a new caliper.

Went to price them up Ive seen that OEM VRS calipers are £150-200 from various places. Im obviously not wanting to spend this to fix a rather minor issue immediatly before I sell the car, does anyone know of any possible fixxes to this? Reading online it seems handbrake issues are fairly common on VAG cars at this age but none of the fixxes seem to apply (Most recommend changing the handbrake return spring but according to the mechanic the arm will return by hand but it wont disenguage the ineffective brake).

So after doing a bit of research I figure I have 2 options

buy a used caliper for £30-50, been trying to do this but green VRS calipers are a wee bit rare it sames (having a 1 grey caliper would look tacky especially well selling)

buy a standard fabia caliper new for £70-100, it is supposedly the exact same design but without £100 worths of green paint (really VAG! xD)

Anybody know anything else I could do other than these 2? Also is it difficult to pull a normal fabia caliper and paint it? If painting them yourself isnt difficult then it seems to be the obvious option.

I was having this problem and freeing up the lever and adding the helper springs only solved the issue for a month or so before it started sticking again.

In the end we took the whole thing apart and removed a seal on the spindle, freed it up, put in a load of grease and it's been fine ever since.

Wish I'd taken pictures.

I was having this problem and freeing up the lever and adding the helper springs only solved the issue for a month or so before it started sticking again.

In the end we took the whole thing apart and removed a seal on the spindle, freed it up, put in a load of grease and it's been fine ever since.

Wish I'd taken pictures.

I did the same, lasted a couple years but I eventually replaced the calipers.

****s sake. Decided to order the only VRS caliper I could find used online and it turned up today and it was... a grey standard Fabia caliper. Called up the scrappy livid and they want a tenner in shipping costs to give me a refund (it was £40).

So... does anyone know where I can get some cheap green caliper paint? (Thanks for the offer Stew but im up in the north of Scotland so it would be a bit of a trek :D)

Edited by caelite