Rapid Spaceback 'New Owner' Advice on Subtle Mods

Hi Skoda Community,

I have just taken delivery of a Rapid Spaceback Sport SE as my daily driver as I need something new and fairly economical for work. I am impressed so far with general looks/comfort/drivability. 

I also have a 10 year old 3 litre flat 6 cylinder Subaru Legacy Spec B for weekend B Road driving so the 1.2 Rapid does feel a little un-rapid when stepping from one to the other but different tools for different jobs....

I am hoping to make 2 very subtle styling changes to set it apart from the (very few) other Rapids on the road.

1. Change the grill surround (or powder coat) from silver to black to compliment the Sport SE standard black styling of the sunset rear windows/black glass roof/ light surrounds.

2. Swap the 5x100 17" Silver Camelot alloy wheels and rubber (450 miles so far since delivery) for something VAG but in black, again to pull the black/red styling together.

Any advice gratefully received.

Lee

Black grill surround can be purchased from SuperSkoda.

Many black wheel options available, or you could just have your existing ones repainted black - it will be the cheaper option.

Thanks for the heads up on the grill/wheels Chris and Stormchaser. I'll check that out on SuperSkoda.... I've had my Legacy 18s refurbished with a colour change  by a reliable guy not too far away so have a contact and price is reasonable....I'm just not that struck with the Camelot's, maybe they will look better in black, will look for pics in/around this here site in case anybody has tried this already.

L

If your looking to change wheels, personally I would look into lighter wheels as they will improve fuel economy and make the car feel quicker. Oz superleggra (premium choice) or team dynamic pro race 1.2 (more affordable) seem to be the popular choice and you could go for an 18" wheel in black/anthracite.

Hi, Newbie alert - I've made the mistake of posting to  3 areas of the forum!

Like the idea of 18" Anthracite. I think the colour of the car is known as the 'I'll have the same one as the marketing literature because you've made it look good by airbrushing out the massive arch gaps, Red'.

L

Red looks good with black wheels, check out Rapid Projects for @kenreid7's wicked Red Spaceback on OZ's

JonB says lighter wheels are good for economy but fatter tyres are not.

215/40R17 (factory option) take about 3 mpg off the Petrol compared with the smaller options.

One poster on here says 18's cost 6 mpg on his diesel Rapid.

Edited by camelspyyder