My marmite Car !

Trotts

I have owned my Roomster since Feb 2014 when new.  Basically a special when they had the 9995 deal.  I have posted previously  that I went from a 105 tsi engine down to the 85 one.   The car is great.  My wife hated the looks of it and called it an 'old mans' car but even she has come round that it is rather useful with loads of room and actually a good drive with reasonable performance.

I can afford another car and have thought about an Octavia estate and fancy the 1.4TSI engine.  A Skoda dealer said my car was a Marmite car, people love them or hate them I guess, but he always shifts them if tidy (as is mine).  Today done a 100 mile round trip and returned grand daughter to home and in all fairness the car will crack along easy at well above the legal limit but I have found that if you can discipline yourself to stay at 70 or just under the MPG is so much better.  I recently did a 500 mile cross country round trip and driving at around 70 got best ever MPG at 48MPG (when filled out by brimming tank and working it out.  The trip/computer was quite accurate as well.)  

I now see that quite a few reputable car centres will remap the TSI and actually take it up to 129bhp and improve the Torque.  I have been quoted 399 by the same people who did my VRS some years ago and after having it done the car was so much better and  I did another 35K on it before I sold it without any issue.    So I am contemplating getting mine done as a gift to myself, appreciating it will write off the last year warranty on my car if i had a engine issue.  They told me they had done a few 1.2TSIs with great results  and all adding no extra stress on the unit, not as if you would be red lining a roomster for long !

I have a service plan, will get second service done and then go for it :clap:   Look out for a Flying Roomster ! 

Jabba.  used them before, very good.  Peterborough.

Brave having it done after first service.   :peek:   I got a good deal on a service plan when i got mine, and after 2nd service I then have a years warranty left.  The only issue I ever had with a Skoda was a leaking radiator on a 12 month old vRS that was replaced in a day or so.  So if ever a problem like cropped up it should be safe !

Remapping will always increase stress on the engine and drivetrain. It's like saying that putting 20kg in a rucksack will not increase and strain on your shoulders. You may be able to continue to walk but your body will eventually tire sooner that it would have done without the extra weight and effort required.

For a car to produce more power or capability to do more 'work' then a greater input is required (fuel, air) and this greater capacity to work harder (if used) will increase the wear rate on the components that are involved in carrying out the work. There is no escaping from that fact.

What they mean is there has been no noticable deterioration on any major components that they have observed. Or to boil it down more basically - they have not had any comebacks.

It's likely that any issues will emerge a lot further down the line, perhaps when in ownership of someone else though.  :nerd:

Remapping will always increase stress on the engine and drivetrain. It's like saying that putting 20kg in a rucksack will not increase and strain on your shoulders. You may be able to continue to walk but your body will eventually tire sooner that it would have done without the extra weight and effort required.

For a car to produce more power or capability to do more 'work' then a greater input is required (fuel, air) and this greater capacity to work harder (if used) will increase the wear rate on the components that are involved in carrying out the work. There is no escaping from that fact.

What they mean is there has been no noticable deterioration on any major components that they have observed. Or to boil it down more basically - they have not had any comebacks.

It's likely that any issues will emerge a lot further down the line, perhaps when in ownership of someone else though.  :nerd:

Possible indeed, but is there more wear on a 105 1.2TSI than  85 1.2TSI ?  It simply has a slightly brisker performance higher up the rev range, in fact I might have to rev the 85 a bit harder to make same progress as the 105 ?  Interesting view mind but like anything is it about how maintained which amounts to longevity ?

It's likely that any issues will emerge a lot further down the line, perhaps when in ownership of someone else though. :nerd:

True say but what about when the hardware is identical and the software map is differentiating the 2 different horse powers

As I was lead to believe the 86 is a detuned version of the 105 only the mapping is different

Vauxhall had a similar thing with the astra mk5 the 120 and 150 bhp engine was identical only the ECU was different also the vxr was available on the continent in a nonvxr model with a slightly lower output again only the software was different

Yeah sorry I wasn't referring specifically to the 1.2tsi - just remaps in general and the lack of proper investigation completed by tuning companies

As far as I understand the 1.2tsi in 85 form when mapped takes it to 130hp and the 105 when mapped goes to the same - they are both maxed out. I have no idea of the increase in boost psi increase from 105 to 130 but I'd guess that at the 130 the turbo is working pretty hard as its only a small unit.

Also the torque produced is greater and continues higher up the rev range so a basic conclusion is that a remapped 1.2tsi will work the turbo harder and for longer. This will obviously take its toll over time. This is just speculation though but a fairly obvious guess.

I'm really countering the belief held by many that a remap is not a risk and makes no difference to longevity - it has to. That said it may be so far down the line that its of little concern to current owners.

This is why manufacturers make it difficult to remap them and void warranty - not because they don't like people enjoying their cars, just then know there is a risk of components failing earlier and they don't want to foot the bill.

But that's the kicker

You would have no way of knowing if mapping prematurely causes component failure or additional stress on the engine

2 identical engines from the same factory one will cover in excess of 150k miles and never miss a beat

Other engine will spend most of its life in and out of the workshop

I can't see how anyone could prove or disprove the theory I guess like most things in life you pay your money and take your chance

Manufacturers will look for any way possible to not have to pay for warranty work and a remap is a very easy get out clause on most major components ie engine clutch and gearbox

Tbh i would like mine mapped but its a lease car and we may or may not keep it after the lease runs out as it does tick a lot if boxes for my family

It seems adequate in 86bhp form