DAB aerial

i want to fit a dab radio so need a good aerial and was looking at a Sonichi Magnetic roof mount http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-car-stereos/sonichi-magnetic-roof-mount-dab-antenna  what would be the best place on the roof for it and to get the cable inside or has anyone got any better suggestions 

Magnetic aerials can damage your paintwork so be sure to make sure that you take adequate precautions  - I'd find some sort of film to stick to the roof surface and then place the aerial on top of that. As for placement -the easiest thing to do is to place it on the rear of the roof and feed the cable in between the roof and the boot-lid. Have a look at a few minicabs and you'll get the idea. If you do it to one side, then you can probably tuck the cable in between the edge of the rubber door seals and the head liner and then feed it down one of the front pillars.

There are other types of aerial you could use for example the film type that glue to the inside of the windscreen (but these tend not to be as good as a roof mounted one). The ultimate solution is to replace the existing roof mounted aerial with a powered amplified version - but you'll need to remove the head-liner at least partially to run wiring and mount the new aerial

I bought the windscreen mounted one from halford and it works a treat.

Stuck in the very top left of the screen, cables through the sun visor and roof lining, down the A pillar into the dash.

Total forgot its there until i flick to DAB Radio

I'm rocking this in my Volvo with a dabmotion rola to get dab radio and it work superbly. It's stuck to the rear side window inside and I have no reception drop out at all. Great piece of kit for the money and is nicely hidden away from view.

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-car-stereos/autoleads-dab-film-antenna-smb-dab-aa1

• Like 1

There are other types of aerial you could use for example the film type that glue to the inside of the windscreen (but these tend not to be as good as a roof mounted one)

In my experience, they are every bit as good.

I spent £80 on a Calearo DAB/AM/FM antenna from dabonwheels.com (co.uk - whatever) - Calearo made the OE aerial fitted to my MK2. It was good, but it lasted 13 months before the amplified base packed up, the same way the OE ones go in the end. I bought an Autoleads film aerial from Halfords for £20 and stuck it top left inside the windscreen. I noticed that I didn't fit it properly, insofar as I mounted it horizontally and didn't earth it to the frame. It worked perfectly. I then bought one for my car and mounted it properly (vertically, copper tape attached to frame under the A-pillar trim). It works perfectly. I've since fitted 4 of these to other people's cars and have had no reports of poor performance.

@ j0hn -I did have a windscreen mounted aerial on my Fabia in conjunction with an RCD310  and never had a problem with it to be honest, I think a lot of people do not follow the installation instructions properly.

I'm rocking this in my Volvo with a dabmotion rola to get dab radio and it work superbly. It's stuck to the rear side window inside and I have no reception drop out at all. Great piece of kit for the money and is nicely hidden away from view.

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-car-stereos/autoleads-dab-film-antenna-smb-dab-aa1

Ive ordered this one and a new head unit with a 20% discount code from ebay, happy days