Turbo Boost Pipe

I've had my car in for a annual service with VASSTECH (Darlington) and they have advised of an oil leak on the turbo boost pipes and advised a cost of replacing 2nr turbo boost pipes at a cost of £327.45.

From reading the DIY thread and others am I correct in thinking that this would be to replace the top and bottom boost pipes or are each of those made up of more than one pipe ?

I'm assuming this is the bottom 90 degree pipe out of the intercooler?

If it is then I wouldn't worry about it if the lugs on the pipe aren't worn and the pipe isn't popping off all the time.

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure it will be, and I'd take a punt on you not having a problem here.

It sounds like this garage aren't perhaps that familiar with the MK1 fabia vrs.

for the cost there asking for, you can diy that for half the cost. look for diy boost pipe in the forum fabia mk1 and in that thread somewhere there's a link to some one who has done the bottom pipes, i'm doing the tops at xmas (Christmas present off the daughter lol)

But when I collected the car there was no mention of "this is a common problem with the Mk1 vRS"

That's just it, it isn't a problem.

If it is the lower 90 degree pipe coming out of the intercooler its the lowest point in the boost circuit where oil vapour collects. It's nothing abnormal unless your turbo is nackered and barrelling oil through your boost pipes.

If that was the case, you would almost defiantly know lol. And besides replacing the pipe wouldn't fix that.

You could put a new 90 degree bend on and it would let oil seep through in exactly the same way.

The most effective way to reduce this is the elephant mod so you ccv isn't going straight back in to the TIP.

Well here is a pic which might help to paint a clearer picture.

20150913_111339_zpsfbnopir3.jpg

The intercooler is on the left on the picture, the 90 degree pipe in the middle and then the metal pipe goes off towards the turbo.

You can see my boost pipe kept popping off the intercooler and I did a temporary bodge with cable ties (which eventually failed).

Can you see the oil on the joint of the 90 degree pipe as it goes in to the metal pipe? I think this is what VASSTECH are bringing to your attention.

• Like 1

Correct, but so long as it holds boost, that is the main thing. The joint isn't supposed to be completely rigid as the intercooler is bolted to the chassis of the car and the other end of that pipe goes to the turbo, which is mounted to the engine.

The engine moves and vibrates on the engine mounts so if the joint was completely rigid, it would wear the pipe joints like mad as they aren't exactly over engineered. In essence, there needs to be a bit of play in them (well at least that's my opinion). A bit if dampness on that joint isn't the end of the world.

If you car isn't lowered you'll probably able to see this by looking underneath the car as there is a cut out in the undertaking where this joint is.

That is a bottom boost pipe but that is the one which comes straight out of the turbo.

I've never seen any shops selling an aftermarket silicon 90 degree pipe on its own which comes out of the intercooler.

This is a picture of the OEM 90 degree bend which goes in the the bottom of the intercooler against an aftermarket version but I've never seen these for sale

2011-04-19202932_zps1nnclkf5.jpg

DSCF0178_zpsrrcuorai.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As we're on the lower boost pipe topic i'm currently ordering parts to change mine and want to know what size the turbo coupler is (this part: http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/clip-connector-adapters-for-egr-asv-turbo-intercooler.html)

I've seen this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-TDI-FSiT-ALLOY-BAYONET-BOOST-HOSE-INTERCOOLER-HOSE-COUPLER-/321798940693?var=&hash=item4aecb62815:m:mc9xL8omJXsmKcBmTQB-9jA on ebay half the price of darkside and just wanted to know wether it's 50-51mm or 60-51mm? It looks like 50-51mm from pics on here but just want confirmation before ordering.

I'll also order a rubber o ring too as the ebay pic doesn't seem to have one.

Thanks.

As we're on the lower boost pipe topic i'm currently ordering parts to change mine and want to know what size the turbo coupler is (this part: http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/clip-connector-adapters-for-egr-asv-turbo-intercooler.html)

I've seen this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-TDI-FSiT-ALLOY-BAYONET-BOOST-HOSE-INTERCOOLER-HOSE-COUPLER-/321798940693?var=&hash=item4aecb62815:m:mc9xL8omJXsmKcBmTQB-9jA on ebay half the price of darkside and just wanted to know wether it's 50-51mm or 60-51mm? It looks like 50-51mm from pics on here but just want confirmation before ordering.

I'll also order a rubber o ring too as the ebay pic doesn't seem to have one.

Thanks.

From intercooler to pancake pipe 50-51

If you after the one that goes directly into turbo, it is smaller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Kgod1991

From intercooler to pancake pipe 50-51

If you after the one that goes directly into turbo, it is smaller

Sorry I should've said. Yes i'm after the coupler that fits directly into the turbo.

Any ideas on the size?

Cheers.

Sorry I should've said. Yes i'm after the coupler that fits directly into the turbo.

Any ideas on the size?

Cheers.

I just bought this when I did mine and then the rest was done with 50-51 fir intercooler top side

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Fluorosilicone_Turbo_Hose_for_SEAT_Ibiza_130_Diesel_and_Skoda_Fabia_VRS--product--274.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Kgod1991