Oil filter location - 1.2 TSI

Hi.

I would like to do my own "in between services" oil and filter change.

Planned on doing it today but where the h**k is the filter?[emoji15]

Is it only accessable from the underside.?

I was planning in doing a top side oil extractor oil change and then put on new filter.

Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never seen one of these engines before in the flesh but im sure it changable from the top. Some one will be along soon to tell you. Sometimes I think to my self that if you not able to locate an oil filter you should not be servicing your car.

I seem to remember catching sight of the filter on wife's new Polo 1.2TSI, which makes me think that it is down the side of the engine, I have seen enough of it to know that VAG has changed back to a "spin on" metal skinned filter element. Bit of a pity in a way as I am just now used to reaching across the top of the engine and unscrewing the plastic top - which made a change from reaching down the front of the engine in wife's previous 1.4 Polo. Still it looks like it is back to spilling some oil when removing and replacing filter - oh joy!

So, I'd think that it should be easier to reach from below with the car raised up.

Edited by rum4mo

@gazpot0111645 - cant really argue with that. Just thought I might do some small maintenance on the girlfriends new car I bought for her. I have been quite sucessfull untill now on my previous MB E280 CDI, golf MK6 and plan on the same on the (not yet delivered) Golf GTE I ordered...

I've just checked wife's Polo again and yes the oil filter is located "well down" the front of the engine - so it will be easy to grab it from below, no hex section now on oil filter so it will be a case of using a filter removal tool at least for the first one as I've discovered that VAG engine plants seem to fit them dry so the seal does stick a bit!

Hi.

I would like to do my own "in between services" oil and filter change.

Planned on doing it today but where the h**k is the filter?[emoji15]

Is it only accessable from the underside.?

I was planning in doing a top side oil extractor oil change and then put on new filter.

Anyone?

Won't you affect your warranty?

Not having the vehicles serviced with the recommended fluids and oem parts at a vat registered establishment to the manufactures guidelines. / Schedule is in the warranty exclusions. They forget to say that the owner can not service and maintained properly inbetween services their self. They would need to know you changed your own oil and filter. And who is telling them

Not having the vehicles serviced with the recommended fluids and oem parts at a vat registered establishment to the manufactures guidelines. / Schedule is in the warranty exclusions. They forget to say that the owner can not service and maintained properly inbetween services their self. They would need to know you changed your own oil and filter. And who is telling them

Possibly by the filter fitted when it next goes back for the next dealer service.

At least it's not the previous cam chain engine where you could damage to the oil filter no return valve by over-tightening causing a longer cam chain tensioner oil pressurisation time after being stood for a while (oil drainback) - If this had been done outside the dealer network it is has been a reason to refuse a warranty claim

That would be a reason to refuse a Warranty Claim within a Dealership Network, and the Dealership might need to pay.

The is a Free Market in the EU and the Warranty Provider of a Manufacturers Warranty can make their rules and exclusions,

but 'Restrictive Practices' are illegal.

It is kind of obvious, if you do not know what you are doing, or are prepared to pay where a mistake is yours or someone you use,

then walk away from the tool box, or the tool that is not Qualified / Competent and insured.

I will be using OEM parts only. :-) [Allthough now oil only]

I am sure you are perfectly able to do the work (I have done the same job myself on my other cars)and I know dealers charge as much as they think they can get away with but have you looked at the cost an independent vat reg garage would charge to fit the OEM filter and correct oil you then have proof of following the manufacturers rules. I think dealers and insurance companies are similar it does not take much to stop them paying out. Just look at the 19 pages of pre week 22 owners who have tried to get recompense from Skoda over the Mirrorlink fiasco Joe

• 1 month later...

If we are keeping this tightly to doing what would have been done in the engine plant, you will be refilling with an oil that has a fluorescent dye in it, this is what separates Castrol Edge from Castrol Edge Pro, and same for other "Pro" oils.  Now if you don't have any warranty issues with that engine, no problems, but I'm sure that VAG, now being run like a money machine, would like to escape from sorting thing out on an engine that seems to have lost most of its marker dye from its engine oil.  I'm just playing devil's advocate here, as I don't have any experience of what happens when or if you hand the car in under warranty with a serious engine issue, just handing out a warning that is all. I'm not sure what type of oils dealer workshops use on "still in warranty" cars, though I'd guess it will be whatever they have been able to source locally and that complies with VAG specs, though maybe without marker dye.