I am just about to get a new superb estate  SEL TDi.    Are there any software up grades that can be done on this to add features?  Also  can the  audio/media  system be  upgraded to play  DVD's?

The SE L comes with Columbus so you'll have the DVD player already, located in the glove box. It will play audio and video "out of the box".

For software updates look in the VCDS options thread.

Edit: Should have said the SE L Executive comes with Columbus. The SE L Business comes with Amundsen, in which case you won't have a DVD player or support for video.

Many Thanks.  Yes, its the  SE L  exec  model.     Can this be altered to run on the move?

Yes, by someone with VCDS or similar (you need to change the 7kmh Video-In-Motion limit to a ridiculously high value) - but it is unlawful and a distraction to the driver.

I don't care what others say, it's human nature to be distracted by the video.

If playing video (be it DVD, SD or TV) only the visual part is turned off - audio will continue with a black screen (and a message to say VIM is active). Video will come back on automatically when your speed drops below the threshold.

Making such a change would indeed be contrary to The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. Reg 109 and could lead to commitiing an offence. Both for the driver and possibly (??) for the person making the changes. This is why all such devices are supplied locked out in the way they are.

Interesting though that it seems the Regulation still appears to refer to cathode ray tubes!! Don't think I would want to test that in court though

Reg 109.—(1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information—

(a) about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;

(B) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

© to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or

(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.

(2) In this regulation “television receiving apparatus” means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer.

Edited by Sagalout

The new Mercedes style 'splitview' screen sounds very good. On the same screen the driver and passenger see totally different things, so the passenger can watch a film while the driver sees the sat nav for example. Something to do with using different pixels and viewing them from a different angle - clever technology.

http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/en/splitview/detail.html

Video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87dKUpUjjHc

• Like 1

Making such a change would indeed be contrary to The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. Reg 109 and could lead to commitiing an offence. Both for the driver and possibly (??) for the person making the changes. This is why all such devices are supplied locked out in the way they are.

Interesting though that it seems the Regulation still appears to refer to cathode ray tubes!! Don't think I would want to test that in court though

Reg 109.—(1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information—

(a) about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;

( B) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

© to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or

(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.

(2) In this regulation “television receiving apparatus” means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer.

Your correct and it's outdated legislation that really needs bringing up to date for modern technology.

Although now retired, as a former traffic officer I would go for s.3.1.[a] of the Road Traffic Act - Driving without due care and attention or reasonable consideration for other road users. It's what we used for people using a mobile phone whilst driving before specific legislation was introduced.

There's no offence that could be levied at the person changing it. The nearest would be aid & abet, but you'd have to prove that there was some kind of persuasion or threat by the person making the change that forced or actively encouraged the owner to use it whilst driving. It's a bit like the radar blockers - it's not unlawful to sell them but it's unlawful to use them (under the Wireless & Telegraphy Act) yet the retailer commits no offence as he offers no threat or persuasion to the customer to actually use it.

• Like 1

The new Mercedes style 'splitview' screen sounds very good. On the same screen the driver and passenger see totally different things, so the passenger can watch a film while the driver sees the sat nav for example. Something to do with using different pixels and viewing them from a different angle - clever technology.

thats pretty cool

New to Merc but not new - LR / Range Rover have had this for sometime.

Dad has it in his RR.

Didn't know the Columbus model could play videos... another tick for the Superb.

They have been able to do this for several years... my 2010 Superb’s Columbus could play DVD’s

• Like 1

They have been able to do this for several years... my 2010 Superb’s Columbus could play DVD’s

Indeed, but only DVD - what's new is the ability to play digital video (avi, mov, mp4, mov, mpg) from SD Card, USB, or Jukebox (the internal drive), albeit at no higher than normal DVD resolution and subject to the same VIM restriction.

• Like 2

I took 4 kids to alton towers about a hour and a half away, had VIM enabled on my old Columbus, I never looked at the movie that was playing and the car was silent for the journey, unfortunately I only took one film they wanted to see! the drive back was like Friday night at the pub!