Rear Brake Noise Video Skoda Health check

Hi,

My 62 plate vrs is at the dealers for it's first mot and 3rd service plus the brake fluid is being changed as well but they have discovered a noise coming from the rear drivers side wheel which needs looked at, should I just get them to look at it and maybe it only needs cleaned or have my own local mechanic do the job?

Here is the video.

https://video.citnow.com/vtfp_0GrQHX

Hi, seems odd that they say it needs "further investigating", can't be many things really if its just the noise in that video, either handbrake squeak or pads squeaking maybe. Has it passed the MOT like it? It looks from the video as if it is binding a little. I'd prob ask them how much they would charge, and let them do it once they have told you what the fault is (unless they want an hours labour to diagnose it, and then an hour to fix it ) in which case id challenge that!

As above. Probably just the pads sticking.

Best case scenario is they have just become stuck and need a clean... worst case is the calliper is ceased.

If they are just stuck then I would get both sides stripped down and cleaned just to be sure.

Phil

I always remove & clean up & apply a touch of copper slip to my brake pads on my car when i service it to avoid this problem,most decent garages will do the same on a major service,my car had its big 4th (major) service done at my local dealer as it was still under warranty(car was under 3 years old)......when i got the car back & checked it over i found the brake pads were seized in the carriers & the wheels stuck onto the hubs as well as some other issues they had caused.......i asked the dealer about this & was told that they dont even remove the wheels on a service if they can see the brakes through the wheel......

Thanks for getting back to me I got my local mechanic to strip down both back wheels and give everything a good clean and all seems well now. The biggest issue probably is the fact I only do around 5k miles a year and my work is less than a mile from my house, so my brakes are not really getting a work out especially the back ones as they do the least amount of braking, so I am going to start giving the brakes a good hard workout from time to time along the straights outside my town and some other members have mentioned on their threads about using the hand brake slightly along a straight road and this also helps keep the discs clean.

Hi, seems odd that they say it needs "further investigating", can't be many things really if its just the noise in that video, either handbrake squeak or pads squeaking maybe. Has it passed the MOT like it? It looks from the video as if it is binding a little. I'd prob ask them how much they would charge, and let them do it once they have told you what the fault is (unless they want an hours labour to diagnose it, and then an hour to fix it ) in which case id challenge that!

My car passed it's first mot with flying colours and as I said above I have got the brakes sorted out.

I had to strip and clean my rear calipers the other weekend, they too were squeaking. Slide pins were fine but cleaned and regreased anyway. What I did find was baked on brake dust in the anti-rattle clips preventing the pads from moving freely and one pad had a small bit of rust on one of the tabs which had jammed in the holder, made it very difficult to remove and impossible to refit. Filed off the offending rust and copper greased the contact points before refitting and all is well again.