Water pump Failure VRS

PaddyVRS

Hi all, 

Just had my car serviced about 3 weeks ago. Got it back and only a week later it started making a mechanical noise at idle and low revs. It got progressively worse so dropped it in to be checked. Water pump has gone apparently. The car is a 2011 CAVE model (new engine in 2013 but i presume water pump is original) with approx 59k Miles on the clock. 

Do you think I have a case for claiming premature parts failure through Skoda? I would have thought a water pump should last longer than 5 years. The real kicker is that because it is integral with the Supercharger pulley clutch mechanism its pricey to replace. I was quoted 700 Euros but they would give me a 10% discount (thanks a mil...) 

Any thoughts?

It's a "common" (or at least not unheard of) failure on older 1.4 TSIs with medium to high mileage. Quite a few Golf's have had it replaced and as you say it's a PITA because of its connection to the supercharger. It would not surprise me if some 180ps twinchargers like the Fabia started failing there once they were past the 60K mark. Not that every single one has to fail, but it's not an isolated case really.

Edited by newbie69

I believe the water pump is classed as a service item (Yet again) By Skoda in the diesels, at least. Change of cam belt usually suggests new water pump at same time. Not too pricey from Euro car parts or similar but it seems strange to replace an item that may be well within working tolerance! My bet is Skoda's pump, with the added VW logo, will be three times the price for exactly the same thing. (EGR valve anyone)?