red oil light issue, clean diagnostics

Hey guys, new to the Skoda world, purchased my first second hand one several days ago, a 2004 estate with 188K on the clock. 12 months MOT.

On the drive back from picking it up the dreaded red oil light started blinking and beeping, took it straight to a garage who checked it over, said they couldn't find an issue, wasn't showing any problems on the diagnostics. Had a clean bill of health and already had an oil change just before I bought it. They did say to take it back if it happens again. 

Red oil light seemed to disappear until about 40 miles into my next journey when it came back, on top of that the hand brake / brake light also started flashing and then stopped. The car is driving fine, and everyone is assuming a computer glitch? I did notice on the previous MOT notes that it mentioned oil had been overfilled at one point. 

My question is; I need to drive the car over the next couple of days, for those who are Skoda savvy does this sound like a simple computer / sensor error or should I not drive it until it has been back in the garage?

Yes it was private, but from a guy who had a fleet of them as ex taxi's and a breakdown recovery business, it has been serviced and MOT'ed under strict council regulations for the past year, seems legit by the paperwork. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on this, the oil light has stopped appearing now, the hand brake / brake fluid light occasionally comes on but then simply goes away, and now as of yesterday the yellow brake pad light has turned on. Does this sound like a computer glitch? Is there a way to just reset everything. Car drives absolutely fine and garage said they can't do anything until the lights are on, as they like to randomly come on it makes it tricky for them to do anything. 

Take it to another garage with the right kit, they can interrogate the codes logged and investigate. Its not a "glitch" you have potential safety issues and I wouldn't use it on the public road until its been properly checked over.

Almost every time you get a warning on the dash it logs a fault. The fault is recorded as a specific fault code. Those garages with the proper Ross-Tech software (otherwise known as VCDS) will be able to read the codes.

You can then cross check them here...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes

Find a member close to you who will scan the car for a few beer tokens...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/224376-vcds-owners-map/

The lights won't be a glitch, they are warning you of an impending problem.

Could it be that the brake fluid is actually low, or the brake pads are low?

Yeah fair enough, I will get it checked at a different garage, one that specializes in Skoda's, incidentally if there was a real issue with brake pads, etc would the light come on every time I drive? That is what is confusing me, the lights come on sporadically, a different one each time. 

It might not be pads, it might be a servo error, leak anything. Could be poor earth or wiring, you dont get ECU glitches, its either faulty or not. I would try a main dealer you don't have to get the repair done by them. You can also get a mobile tech to come out and plug in and read the code off. Either way I would not be happy driving that car as it is.