Polarizer filter on a dashcam

Citigo2032

Anyone tried a polarizer filter on a dashcam before?

I just got mine this evening - ordered three different sizes from DealExtrme. I tested the smallest one indoor. It's cool how the reflections shift from the floor to the cabinet as I turn the filter around :-) I will print out an adapter so the filter can fit the dashcam. The hope is to get rid of reflections from the windscreen and the road on wet days.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/OeBEyZLvwFk

I've been meaning to get one for my Mobius cameras but there didn't seem to be an easy option last time I looked other than making one yourself using the factory dust cap and cutting a hole in it etc (which I have long since misplaced). What one are you using on your camera, how does it attach and do you have a link? The mini series seem to have a specific part option which is a big selling point to me. 

What's the night time footage like? I know general polarizers on SLRs will lose you around 1 stop of light - does it affect the low light footage much? I thought of getting one, but didn't want to be swapping it on/off all the time.

I use polarising film on my dash cams front and rear.

I simply got an off-cut for a few quid and cut enough for the front of the Blackvue's.

Easy to test and setup the polarising direction and fix on with double sided tape.

Does the job! :thumbup:

Items like this on eBay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Offcut-of-Polarized-Filter-Film-Sheet-Gel-for-Science-Photography-Physics-1p-/262177955163?hash=item3d0b061d5b

I purchased a ready made one for my Blackvue 650 but have removed it after 6 months of use - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOOVIKA-Polarizer-Filter-Clip-Compatible-BlackVue-DR650-/131415076235

Whilst it reduced close to 100% of the dash reflections, it also blurred the edges of the screen - say the last 10-15% either side which is no good for catching numberplates of cars going in the opposite direction. There was also slightly more grain in the night time footage due to it compensating for the lack of exposure.

• Like 1

I purchased a ready made one for my Blackvue 650 but have removed it after 6 months of use - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOOVIKA-Polarizer-Filter-Clip-Compatible-BlackVue-DR650-/131415076235

Whilst it reduced close to 100% of the dash reflections, it also blurred the edges of the screen - say the last 10-15% either side which is no good for catching numberplates of cars going in the opposite direction. There was also slightly more grain in the night time footage due to it compensating for the lack of exposure.

Interesting James - I hadn't seen these when I was looking... i'll look around for a better price.

My adhoc install is ok - but I figure i'll need to re-apply tape after 12 months or so.

I have attached an night time footage with and without the filter. It is quite obvious that the filter block out light - specially when there is night or early mornings.

The day time image do not show that much of a difference.

post-114237-0-48034900-1449826698_thumb.jpg

post-114237-0-99601500-1449826876_thumb.jpg

• Like 1