Brief history

summerof44

Have been into bikes from very young .Went the usual route (for people of a certain age ) of moped (suzuki A50P) then onto an RD 250. Gave up riding bikes until about 96 when I bought an RGV 250. That was followed by a CBR 600,Fireblade,ZX7R And a GSXR 600.Decided then sportsbikes were too uncomfortable and fast so had a couple of KTM 640 supermotos and a Triumph street triple. Currently have a 40 year old Honda 550 and a DRZ 400.

post-48243-0-97358900-1449316279_thumb.jpg

Edited by summerof44
  • Like 1

How do you rate the treet triple?........ thinking of getting a naked bike for the road and turn my R1 into a track bike

youve come about 3 months too late. there was a member on here who would shoot you down at everything you said unless it was 'the street triple (particularly the R) is the best bike in the world' 

seriously though. if you like the R1, how about a naked Fazer 1000? FZ1N? 

• Like 1

youve come about 3 months too late. there was a member on here who would shoot you down at everything you said unless it was 'the street triple (particularly the R) is the best bike in the world' 

seriously though. if you like the R1, how about a naked Fazer 1000? FZ1N? 

Haha!... I've heard a few people say that but then they didn't like riding sports bikes.

The op has had sports bikes and has done a few td's so we seem to be similar in that respect and therefore would like his opinion.

Not really that struck on the FZ1N..... I like the triple engine/exhaust sound so was thinking along the lines of the speed/street triple.

Edited by RedRooster

Have to be honest and say I hated the street triple. Brilliant motor let down by terrible front suspension and ergonomics. The front suspension seemed to have virtually no high speed compression damping which meant not much in the way of damping if hitting any sharp bumps such as slightly raised or sunken manhole covers or repaired potholes. On a smooth surface it was fine but on your average single carriageway road was horrible. I suspect that the R is probably much better as there is at least some adjustability in the front forks.For me at least the riding position was uncomfortable with too much of a lean forward which put a lot of weight onto my wrists. The seat also has a profile which causes you to slide forward into the tank which in turn results in even more load on the wrists. I fitted a deeper Triumph comfort seat which I had re profiled and 20 mm bar risers which helped but in the end I decided I just wasn't enjoying riding it. I should point out that I am 53 and have suffered two broken wrists in the past so a younger person that has stronger joints and enjoys having their balls given a good pummelling might not feel the same!

• Like 1

Have to be honest and say I hated the street triple. Brilliant motor let down by terrible front suspension and ergonomics. The front suspension seemed to have virtually no high speed compression damping which meant not much in the way of damping if hitting any sharp bumps such as slightly raised or sunken manhole covers or repaired potholes. On a smooth surface it was fine but on your average single carriageway road was horrible. I suspect that the R is probably much better as there is at least some adjustability in the front forks.For me at least the riding position was uncomfortable with too much of a lean forward which put a lot of weight onto my wrists. The seat also has a profile which causes you to slide forward into the tank which in turn results in even more load on the wrists. I fitted a deeper Triumph comfort seat which I had re profiled and 20 mm bar risers which helped but in the end I decided I just wasn't enjoying riding it. I should point out that I am 53 and have suffered two broken wrists in the past so a younger person that has stronger joints and enjoys having their balls given a good pummelling might not feel the same!

Cheers for that mate, I've broken both wrists too, the left one was shattered at the joint - ulna just two pieces but the radius was in five requiring metalwork etc. also got a neck injury that keeps giving me trouble.  Slow road riding on a sports bike is unbearable after a short time hence the interest in an upright road bike, might try some bar risers before I give up on the R1 as its mega at everything and I like it :)

There are some sports bikes which have a fairly upright riding position and then of course some sports tourers which are not far off sports bike power wise. ZX9R has a very sensible riding position and is a great sports bike with plenty that can be done to make it a weapon. Lots of street fighter savaged ones about too.