Christmas lights on

notyeti

John H.  That's a good point, and perhaps you are right. Let's see what Skoda say.  The variable servicing plan doesn't work, does it?  Have I been missold?

The fixed or variable service plans were sold to me as alternatives, and the fixed interval items in the service book were not discussed. I was not told those items were in addition to the variable plan. Since I use the car about average (8000 miles a year) I thought there was nothing about my usage that would require one type of servicing or the other.

I assumed the car decides when it needs servicing on the variable interval plan, based on everything that potentially needs servicing. The car is definite when it wants servicing, as the mileage and time to service (yes time to service - it could include a 4 year constraint couldn't it?)  are shown a few hundred or thousand miles after a service has been done. Or is this variable servicing interval thing just a marketing ploy to make servicing costs seem cheaper until something breaks, or just about oil changes?  

Another thing, when the Skoda dealer rings up to suggest a service, and I say I am on the variable plan, they say oh right, and ring off without advising me I needed to consider the items that need to be done on a fixed interval - yes it is a woman ringing me up!  Was it a case of them knowing I had to have stuff done, and not telling me, or just ringing me as a standard service marketing call?  We both treated it as a marketing call, not a technical call.

Latest update: Skoda rang back as part of their investigatation. Took another history, said they would not pay for work done by independent mechanics or compensation, but they will investigate about variable servicing vs fixed interval items and might pay a goodwill sum. They will report back in 48 hours.      

The thing that determines when a non-fixed interval service is required is basically the quality of the oil. To assess this, sensors on the car look for various indicators and obtain an "image" from information like engine temperature, exhaust temperature and CO content from lambda readings, condensation, hours of use, speed, load etc to create a "driving style image". That image then dictates when it thinks an oil change is advisable. The data being collected is very basic and its decision is not foolproof by any means, but there's no way it's clever enough to know when other items require attention too. It merely decides the oil "probably" needs changing and lets you know that a service is required. The agent then undertakes whatever other service items require attention at that time in accordance with the time/distance recommendations in the service schedule.

Edited by speedsport

The number of 'cold starts' is probably the most important statistic along with the number of times an 'operating temp' is NOT reached.

I would think an oil contamination sensor for 'metal' would be a possibility.

If you understand that short trips, particularly not reaching a satisfactory temperature, are the worst types of treatment for an engine, you should be able to work out what's best for you.

But in this throw-away world, are you actually going to keep it long enough to matter..........a couple of oil changes will probably see out the current fashion/ tech trend, then it gets recycled.

But I can't bring myself to be THAT rational.

"misrepresentation" and mis-selling are the catch phrases of those who would like to be litigious but lack the application to learn and understand law but think they "know their rights" their natural habitat involves working in call centres and bothering me about PPI I have never had or accidents I have not been involved in.

Well final judgement from skoda customer services.  

• Variable servicing means every 2 years or sooner if car indicates earlier
  • Car indication "Servicing required in xxx miles, xx days" means oil change required
  • Since remedial work not done in skoda dealer can't offer any discount - instead offered £50 coupon ex gratia to be used in accredited skoda service garage, which I accepted

My problem was having first  variable service after 1 year - so next came after 3 years.  So now out of step.

My view is skoda have mangled the english language  (variable = every two years or earlier), service = oil change, and could easily have built the time constraint into the service indication on the car.  Plus the dealership should have been clear about when servicing was due, and in its reminders known whether the car was on variable or fixed, and given advice accordingly.  I asked for variable servicing when I bought the car. I think the dealership sent me a fixed reminder after 1 year, then we had a discussion that I wanted fixed, and then the next service at 3 years was out of step.  

Not impressed by the whole saga.  They could definitely do better! 

Variable serving is not suitable for your usage, so I cannot understand why you choose that. It is only suitable for high mileage users. 

Just checked my documentation. Despite me buying the car on 5k. per annum PCP it states the servicing as Flexible! No discussion took place.

Not that makes any difference to me as I'm going to get the oil and filter changed at 12 months anyway and probably every 12 after i.e. change to fixed.

When I bought one of my Passats in 2005 I was offered Fixed or Flexible servicing and chose Flexible then as I was doing quite an annual mileage.

Since then with further VW's, Audis and now a Yeti I've never been offered a choice and it's always been Flexible, they never ask you how you use your car and it's likely annual mileage.

I had the oil and filter changed after 12 months/4k. miles in the TT (Flexible) and almost had an argument with the service woman because she said it didn't need it! The car will tell me when it's required! Technically correct but I know how I use the car (infrequently) and know it's good to change the oil frequently for the sake of the timing chain etc. And I'm old fashioned about oil etc. never mind how good the modern stuff is.

This Flexible servicing is rather indicative of the throwaway society and the manufacturers trying to make us think that it gives lower running costs. It does for some but for many Fixed servicing would be the better option. But then again I suppose it depends on how long they keep the car. It will be future owners who may get the problems!

Edited by VAGCF

If it is based on the number of cold start/short runs, it works both ways, in that it will warn of oiled degradation earlier than a fixed regime.......so there's nothing wrong with variable at all.

Maybe, but for me the first oil change being potentially at 2 years and whatever the mileage (was 20k. for my VW) is far too long in my book.

Wouldn't be so bad if there was still a first oil change at around a 1000 miles.