Media codec on Columbus MIB1

Hey everyone !

So as you may have seen, on the MIB2 version of Columbus unit, you have Apple CarPlay, WiFi, and a lot of other cool things added.

Unfortunately for me I bought the car a few month too soon and only got MIB1, which is still nice, but as I'm a technology addict I was a bit disappointed when I learned I couldn't retrofit the MIB2 unit in my car (at least that's what I've been told by my dealer).

Anyway that's not the reason I created this post and I'll survive to it   :)

One of the things added is the ability to read .MKV movies from a USB key or SD card. On the MIB1 unit I also have the ability to play movies but not in such a format; movies have to be .AVI files. As all the movies I download today are in 720 or 1080p, and consequently encoded in MKV, it would be convenient to be able to play them directly in this format on the Columbus.

The question is: Would there be a way to update the media codecs to play MKV files on my MIB1 like it's now possible on MIB2 ?

Thanks in advance for your help & have a great evening !

PS: A photo of my info screen on Columbus to show you that there is effectively (or should be) a media codec

post-136020-0-23276500-1449509113_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the answers !

Well mine is also playing Divx fine (.AVI files), but the problem is with HD films (encoded in .MKV) which are not recognized by the MIB1 system.

Well I guess I'll just live with it ^^

• 3 weeks later...

Im working on a installation guide how to install new codecs and vcds instructions. (its good to have a brother working for skoda). I have the orginal codec files - totaly 10 codecs.

I'll report back as soon I've come home and uploaded codec files on ftp server.

Nice, thanks ;)

Any news about that ?

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/22/2015 at 17:48, Frallan said:

Im working on a installation guide how to install new codecs and vcds instructions. (its good to have a brother working for skoda). I have the orginal codec files - totaly 10 codecs.

I'll report back as soon I've come home and uploaded codec files on ftp server.

Any update on this? Would be much appreciated. Thx

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but this is in my head and i need an answer.

>The files are branded per unit s/n ? How can we do that (we buy it from dealer ?), and does it work for bolero unit ?