S3 2.0 TDI 150bhp MPG Thread

Interested to hear the MPG people are getting from the 150 TDI unit in thier new S3 Hatches or Combi's,

Understand there are many many factors into MPG, but would be good to start seeing some ball park figures from owners. (Also helps those members who are yet to order!)

Once I get my car I will be recording via fuelly.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

Only 1200 miles so far in my 150hp 2.0 litre diesel DSG with an overall average of 49.8. Mostly country roads, some urban and speeds of 30-60 mph.  Equals 79% of claimed test figures for 'combined'.

One long jourmey (260 miles each way) and I averaged 56.2 for that journey, That equates to 82% of claimed test figures for extra urban or 89% of combined figure.

That'll do for me for now. I will get to know the car better so will expect to see some improvement over the next few months.

Driving style is pretty relaxed but I don't hang about when the road is there. Smooth, soft acceleration and minimal use of the brake is a watchword for me. If the car in front of you is taking a second slower to 60 than you would like or slowing down, rather than braking at the last minute, approaching red traffic lights; that's me in front of you :D

80-85% seems to be high end results for many, if not most, everyday cars. When choosing a car that is the max I expect to be able to get.

• Like 2

Are these all Maxidot MPG figures, or measured ?

On the Yeti (as with other cars I've had) the Maxidot/computer MPG is usually optimistic by some margin.

The Yeti was around 10% optimistic, until I corrected it with VCDS.

• Like 1

On the Yeti (as with other cars I've had) the Maxidot/computer MPG is usually optimistic by some margin.

Agreed, could do with some tank-to-tank stats.

I did take those readings from the Columbus but the fill up after the long journey came out at 55 mpg taking the volume that I paid for according to the dispenser reading.

I am not sure that fill to fill is really accurate either. Lots of variables even doing that. Checking service station to service station is not the same as 'fill to fill tests' done under controlled conditions. Just saying ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Still getting 50+ most journeys. Lowest has been 45.3 when 'boosting' the driving a bit. Figures simply taken from the journey record on Columbus so indicative only. 1800 miles on the clock now

• Like 1

Average over 1300 miles 41.7, average on last tank 42.8, average on last long drive (175 miles 50-70mph dual carriageway/motorway) 47mpg. Was really expecting high 50's on this drive. All figures via Maxidot.

Acc is set to sport so wondering if that may be affecting it a bit as its almost always on.

Intresting... friend of mine has a Octy 3 with the 2.0 TDI 150 and is pulling low to mid 60's on long runs...  but this does include a lot of 50mph spec routes

4300 miles done. 51.7mpg at an average 35mph. Taken from the maxidot. Both figures have decreased since my last post on 8th December.

I've been off work the last two weeks so most journeys have been much shorter than usual.

I find the on board computer figure accuracy varies a lot between different cars and models/engines of the same car

2003 Superb I 1.9pd usually did about 50mpg measured tank to tank (mainly commute) and showed about 46mpg on the on board computer (about 8% pessimistic )

2014 Superb II 1.4tsi does about 46 mpg measured tank to tank (mainly commute) and shows about 46mpg on the on board computer (nearly accurate)

2006 Panda 1.2 Elaganza does about 39 mpg measured tank to tank (just around town) and shows about 43mpg on the on board computer (  about 10% optimistic)

Edited by bigjohn

I am not sure that fill to fill is really accurate either. Lots of variables even doing that. Checking service station to service station is not the same as 'fill to fill tests' done under controlled conditions. Just saying ;)

How can brim to brim not be accurate? If you fill to the brim, do a journey and then go back to that same fuel station and fill to the brim again, that's about as accurate you are going to get for that given journey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1000 miles in. Filled tank today with 61 litres. 620 miles since last fill. That works out at 46.2mpg. Maxidot reported 46.2mpg since last fill so seems to be pretty accurate. That tank was a mix of short 5 mile commutes and a few bigger motorway trips. Drive mode set to Eco. Car is manual Estate.

How can brim to brim not be accurate? If you fill to the brim, do a journey and then go back to that same fuel station and fill to the brim again, that's about as accurate you are going to get for that given journey.

Brim to brim? Do you mean to the point where the dispenser trips or truly brim to brim. Either way you still have variables.

The latter practice is, as I am sure you know, against the published guidance for most vehicles for lots of reasons. The Skoda manual, for example, clearly states "The fuel tank is full just as soon as the pump nozzle switches off for the first time, provided the nozzle has been operated properly. Not continue refuelling." (their English not mine)

I was simply challenging the general perception that 'brim to brim' is the way to go to determine more accurate results. Yes you most likely will get a difference between the two methods but my opinion is that the result over time is unlikely to be significantly 'more accurate' than most modern on-board systems. After all, we are only looking at indicative figures because we are not doing this under adequately controlled conditions. Just saying ;)

Indeed, and the more times you fill it to work out the average the more accurate the figure. If you under-fill one time you will probably slightly overfill next time

Edited by bigjohn

Just wondering if folks are playing around with the drive mode in their new SIII's. I'm using a Nissan Juke at the moment until mine arrives....hopefully later this month and switching from Eco to Sport makes a dramatic difference to performance and mpg.

Switching from a 2.0 Kia Sportage diesel with a lowly average of 38 mpg I'll be more than happy with anywhere near the mid to late 40's but I'm expecting more.

Leave mine in individual with acc and steering on sport, engine on normal.

Occasionally put it in sport. Tried Eco but it blunted the performance too much for me. Am getting low 40's mpg on my 150 tdi though so maybe I should put it in Eco more often.

Edited by Bugginbob