'07 beetle showing 0 miles after gearbox change.

VRSPhil

Hello. Before I sign up to a VW specific forum, can anyone suggest any reasons why the odometer on a be beetle would reset to zero after a gearbox change?

Sensor missed off somewhere? I was under the impression that the mileage was stored in the ECU/cluster so I'm a bit stumped.

It's a petrol engine with manual box. Not sure of the engine size as I haven't seen it yet, but it's not a V5/6 or a turbo.

Any ideas appreciated!

Where is the vehicle advertised or for sale, or is there some other story,

and how do you not know the engine the vehicle has, have you not asked?

Could the vehicle be accident damaged and repaired, or similar?

Knowing what engine a vehicle has is helpful.

?

Do you know a registration number to check the MOT History Checker on the car?

Mileage showing!

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

The vehicle isn't for sale. It belongs to a colleague. I said I would scan it/look for anything obvious.

It was fine until the gearbox was replaced last week. I'm starting to think the cluster or ECU may have been damaged when the battery was disconnected/reconnected.

The vehicle isn't for sale. It belongs to a colleague. I said I would scan it/look for anything obvious.

It was fine until the gearbox was replaced last week. I'm starting to think the cluster or ECU may have been damaged when the battery was disconnected/reconnected.

There is a method of resetting mileage, but I thought it needed a dealership computer. I'm now wondering if there may be a method of flashing the bistables that clears the memory and can be done accidentally.