Boot Liner

Othen

Good evening,

Recently I ordered a boot liner for my 2013 Superb Elegancy estate from an online retailer. The part arrived promptly and appeared to be of good quality, and was supposed to be tailored for my car. I have tried to fit the boot liner, and found it is about 3" too long. The tag attached (photo attached) says it is for a 2009> Superb Combi (manufacturers part number TLSK101519M), whereas I ordered one specifically for the estate (it would appear part number part number TLSK101519M-D).

I'm wondering whether there really is a difference in the boot areas of the combi and estate, and if so whether there should be a boot liner specific to the estate. Does anyone know? It may be that the two models do indeed have identical boot areas, and that the liner is just not very accurately manufactured (that seems slightly unlikely). I've attached a photo of the not very well fitting boot liner.

Best wishes,

Alan

post-98867-0-69699100-1451069150_thumb.jpgpost-98867-0-21622500-1451069165_thumb.jpg

The "combi" is the "estate".

For some reason in the UK we prefer to use the term estate, the rest of the word seem to prefer combi, but they mean the same thing.

Limousine is saloon, lift-back is hatchback etc.

The dimensions of the boot floor on the MkII estate have not changed since it was first introduced in 2008 right up until this year when the MkII was replaced with the MkIII so it sounds like a mistake by the boot liner manufacturer.

I have the twindoor (hatchback / saloon) and chose a genuine Skoda boot liner, more expensive but it's a perfect fit.

This is the one I have, it is made out of a soft but hard wearing rubber...

$(KGrHqF,!okFIlRjm)SiBSJeeG)0DQ~~60_12.J

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Skoda-Superb-Hatch-2010-Rubber-Boot-Mat-Liner-DCD800001-/261278902350?fits=Car+Make%3ASkoda%7CModel%3ASuperb&hash=item3cd56fa84e:g:5RYAAOxy4jxSJeeH

The same design is available for the estate too.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

Many thanks guys. It looks like a mistake by the manufacturer in that case. The supplier seems a reputable motor factor so I'll return it and perhaps get the genuine Skoda part.

Best wishes,

Alan

• Like 1

As already said....Combi = estate = shooting break = touring etc.

One liner might be for the 'non false-floor' version....which takes out about three inches as the rear seat back angle is taken into account.

If you don't have the false floor option then your boot is lower and the loading area a bit longer (if that makes sense...).

I remember having to order the false floor version for mine... Could be the difference?

Dave

• Like 1

Thank you Wile7.

I suppose my car could be the 'false floor' version then. It is an Elegance model and fully carpeted, without the tie down rails I had in my previous car (and quite liked, but that was probably deemed to utilitarian for the up market car by Skoda). Perhaps that is the answer?

I wonder whether Igor73 has the same issue?

Best wishes,

Alan

I have exactly the same boot liner as silver1011 that I ordered from Skoda. It is heavy and high quality non slip rubber.

Surprisingly though, the cheaper, hard plastic, dish styled, boot liner from my mk2 Octavia is almost a perfect fit too.

• Like 1

Interesting Kevberlin,

I quite like the quality of the soft rubber liner I bought, but I can't quite understand why it doesn't fit at the front. I'm guessing my Superb Elegance has the false floor option (instead of the closable cubbys behind the wheel arches (unlike Silver 1011's car, and my previous (2011) Superb SE, it has open pockets which are larger (from that perspective more useful, but I did prefer the closable solution)). Assuming that is the case then Wile7 may be correct, and that accounts for the liner being 2"-3" too long at the front. The other possibility may be that it is just an error by the manufacturer (Igor73 has the same issue, and also a Superb Elegance, which may support this view).

I have emailed the supplying motor factor (it appears to be a reputable firm, based in London) with the photos, and we'll see what that company comes back with. I'm hoping there will be a liner that fits properly to protect the floor from Bobby (the dog) moulting.

Many thanks for your interest and advice.

Alan

• Like 1

... I've found some photos of the raised boot floor option and concluded that my car does not have that. The level of the floor is below the bottom of the ski slot in the back seats, unlike the raised floor (in which it is level). So, that discounts that theory.

My car has a full sized spare wheel (invaluable, never buy a car without a proper spare wheel), but I don't think that makes any difference to the boot height, the spare wheel well would be the same on all cars. So, as Sherlock Holmes would have said: 'when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth'... it must just be a manufacturing error (a great pity as in all other respects it is a well made product).

I'll see what the supplier has to say.

Best wishes,

Alan

• Like 3

I bought one of the ones for the Skoda Estate from fleabay and mine was 3 inches too long also. I emailed them and they refunded the full amount including postage. I thought about cutting it down and gluing one part under the other to shorten it but it has a silicon coating on it that is non stick so no chance of that. Good for catching any oil drips from my old Volvo Amazon so it does have a use. I have been unable to find one of the correct dimensions for my car which does not have the raised floor other than one from the local Skoda dealer at 250€ which I am not prepared to pay. There are lots on EBay but if you check the dimensions they are all too long which is weird.

• Like 1

I have a MK2 FL estate and ordered the genuine boot liner when I had my car new. It is the same one as silver1011 has pictured above which is for the hatch.

The genuine estate version is narrower as it cannot cover the rails for those who have the cargo system fitted, so maybe my dealer made a mistake with the part number or maybe it was deliberate, but the hatch version fits perfectly in the estate, as you would expect. Very hard wearing, very good quality and a perfect fit.

• Like 2

Hi Alan,

yes, we are facing the identical situation with an identical car/boot/spare wheel configuration. I have emailed the seller yesterday with the pics and will wait for a reply from them. It is a shame because quality wise the product is great!

Cheers,

Igor

post-137819-0-23057100-1451123397_thumb.jpg

post-137819-0-11563900-1451123407_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Igor,

Many thanks for that. As you say, we have the identical product and car, with exactly the same problem. The liner is a good fit at the front, or the back, but not both simultaneously. As you say, it is a great pity because the quality and style of the product are otherwise very good indeed. It does look like a manufacturing problem.

I have also emailed the supplier (J&J Automotive, which appears to be a reputable firm), we'll see what the answer is next week.

Best wishes,

Alan

I bought one of the ones for the Skoda Estate from fleabay and mine was 3 inches too long also. I emailed them and they refunded the full amount including postage. I thought about cutting it down and gluing one part under the other to shorten it but it has a silicon coating on it that is non stick so no chance of that. Good for catching any oil drips from my old Volvo Amazon so it does have a use. I have been unable to find one of the correct dimensions for my car which does not have the raised floor other than one from the local Skoda dealer at 250€ which I am not prepared to pay. There are lots on EBay but if you check the dimensions they are all too long which is weird.

That is really interesting. It does seem odd that a manufacturer (or perhaps more than one) has mistakenly produced a batch of these liners 3" too long, but otherwise of good quality. Perhaps it was just a mistake with the dimensions? I thought about trimming mine down as well, but that seems pointless as I could have just bought some plain rubber mat from a DiY shop and done the same.

Alan

Hi Alan, J&J here as well, but I have noticed slightly different art. number: 0116040201 

Hi Igor,

I'm wondering whether that could have been a sequential identification number for each individual part, as the manufacturer's part number seems to be TLSK101519M-D (or TLSK​101519M). They do look identical and come from the same supplier. It will be interesting to see what solution J&J suggests on Tuesday.

Best wishes,

Alan

Hi Igor,

I have just received an email from J&J offering a partial refund (that is all it said). I get a feeling (and it is only a feeling) that in that case the company might have been aware of the problem. I can't realy see that a partial refund would help much: I'd still end up with a boot liner that does not fit (I suppose I could just try to live with it, but I know it would always irritate me).

What do you think?

Alan

Hi Alan,

just received the same reply. They are now offering £10 refund with me keeping the item. I am not that happy to be honest but i guess it is better than nothing. I will try to cut it to measure and see how it goes. I will post some pics once finished the job.

Regards,

Igor

Hi Alan,

just received the same reply. They are now offering £10 refund with me keeping the item. I am not that happy to be honest but i guess it is better than nothing. I will try to cut it to measure and see how it goes. I will post some pics once finished the job.

Regards,

Igor

Hi Igor,

I had not replied yet. I'm not sure whether I'd ever be happy with something I'd cut by hand, I suppose I could have achieved the same with a piece of rubber sheet from a builders' merchants. I'll think about it, but let me know how it comes out.

Alan

Why are you guys putting up with an inferior product albeit from a mistake but which now comes with to me a wholly unacceptable response.

If they are a reputable company they should provide the only acceptable response and either collect and replace with correct item, collect and refund or let you keep it as it costs too much to collect given its value and still give the refund.

Hi Danny,

I have just spent some time outside with the car trying to work out whether the boot liner could be made to fit, and have concluded that it cannot. As can be seen from the photos it is 3" too long at the rear if the front is made to fit.

I have concluded therefore that you are right, and consequently I have emailed JandJ Automotive asking to arrange a return and a refund. The cost was only about £20, but there is not much point keeping something that just is not correct (it would just irritate me until I changed it).

Igor may have accepted the offer of a partial refund, which will make it a very cheap boot liner (only £10).

Best wishes,

Alan

post-98867-0-51707600-1451144992_thumb.jpg

post-98867-0-81179400-1451145007_thumb.jpg

The genuine article is here for £36 (plus postage at £10),  £2 cheaper than the Ebay one but £2 more on postage so same price overall, but at least it will be right with no hassle, and a two year warranty.

As I mentioned before this is for the hatch, but if your estate doesn't have the cargo system it fits perfectly full width, the genuine estate version leaves quite a large gap either side of the wheel arches - see link below.

Alternatively pop down to you local Skoda dealer with the £36 advert price and see what they can do it for.

Hatch version (as shown by silver1011 earlier) http://www.skodaparts.com/product/superb-rubber-boot-mat-2008-2011-21305

This is the estate version but for those with the cargo system so really too narrow for the standard non cargo floor http://www.skodaparts.com/product/superb-rubber-bootliner-estate-2010-2012-38286

Hi Alan,

any news from the seller? I didn't accepted the partial refund in the end and asked for a full refund, postage included. Since then I have not heard from them.

CNC, many thanks for the link; think I will place the order today.

Regards,

Igor

Hi Igor,

I have done the same, and heard nothing from JandJ since, I suspect the office may be closed until Tuesday now (assuming Monday is observed as the Boxing Day holiday).

I'll let you know what the outcome is. I feel a little sorry for JandJ because it must be a genuine mistake on its part; but there isnot much point keeping a boot liner that does not fit and I have no use for.

Best wishes,

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Igor,

I m becomming slightly irritated by JandJ now, as you know I requested to return the item (because it was not as described) and it has come back with an offer of a £5 refund.

Alan

Edited by Othen