1.6L Misfire Code P0302 - Problem goes away when engine get warmed

subscribed.gifHello Guys,

I really appreciated your help.

Cars is a 2002 Octavia 1.6L petrol engine with only 70,000kms

Just yesterday, when I started the engine in the morning it misfires stumble/hesitate and can fill a small shake in the engine, sometimes fill like a hiccup at idle.  If the AC is on, the problem is a little more worst.

This was at my building garage, I was having my door open and I can fill a strong fuel odor (like when is very rich) I am pretty sure I have start the engine before in other occasions with my door open and never smell that strong fuel odor.

As soon as the engine get semi warm (engine not quite up to temp) the misfiring goes away and the car behave like nothing happened and runs perfectly.  At Idle I still fill sometime the hiccup.

There is no illumination of the Check Engine Light..

Scan for codes with my OBD FUSION and it throw P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

So I went a make the test of using a spray water bottle to spray over the coil pack and there was no misfires neither any electrical arcing.  

I done this test with the engine at idle and also with some body helping me pressing the gas accelerator to rise the RPM. I spray very heavily and there was not a single hiccup.

I then use a garden hose to throw a lot of water over the coil pack and neither misfired.

I have not removed yet the plugs to check them but these plugs are almost new.  I installed new 101-000-033-AA OEM plugs at 60kms (Does was the same part number plugs I remove and the same part my VW dealer says my car use with my VIN No.)  

Any advice what other test I can perform to pin point what is the exact part I need to change? Or what other test I can perform with the OBD Fusion code scanner?  Maybe I can make a test when starting it in the morning before the engine get warmer.

I really don’t want to throw money changing and changing parts.

Thank you for your help and time.

Regards,

Isaac
IMG_0341_zpsxqxzffpj.png

IMG_0342_zpsnnbalp6s.png

Not sure if the 1.6 has coilpacks or old school distributor & HT leads, but if has coilpacks that would be my prime suspect.

Coilpack failure is extremely common on MK1 Octy's, & there is a VAG coilpack replacement campaign. If your car is covered then your main dealer will replace the coilpacks free of charge.

Not sure if the 1.6 has coilpacks or old school distributor & HT leads, but if has coilpacks that would be my prime suspect.

Coilpack failure is extremely common on MK1 Octy's, & there is a VAG coilpack replacement campaign. If your car is covered then your main dealer will replace the coilpacks free of charge.

Hello Pauldazzle,

This engine does not use the coilpack on top of each plug, neither it use a distribuitor.  It use only one single coilpack were the four plug wires goes conected.

Here is a pic of the coil pack it use.

THX,

Isaac

032%20905%20106_zpsma6fqvgg.jpg

Edited by Turbo_Boss

SO either a single solid state pack, or 2 double-ended coils on the lost spark method. Since you only have a misfire on one cylinder, I'd think the pack itself is ok, and either the spark plug or the coil lead for #2 cylinder is faulty.

SO either a single solid state pack, or 2 double-ended coils on the lost spark method. Since you only have a misfire on one cylinder, I'd think the pack itself is ok, and either the spark plug or the coil lead for #2 cylinder is faulty.

Hey KenONeil,

Thx for your help.

Does spark plugs are almost new.  I installed 10,000 kms ago BUT I am going to remove the spark plug to check it.

I will check the plugs wire and see what I found.

THX,

Isaac

Hey KenONeil,

Thx for your help.

Does spark plugs are almost new.  I installed 10,000 kms ago BUT I am going to remove the spark plug to check it.

I will check the plugs wire and see what I found.

THX,

Isaac

No problems; one of the advantages of being mates with garage mechanics is that you get to see these "rare but sometimes all the facts add up" problems like a new spark plug (and it can mean 100km ago new) failing.