LOUD BANG, WONT START

Hi, I have a mk1 SE vRS.

Was driving down the motorway steadily when I heard a real loud bang, the Mrs screamed (first time she has in a while), and I lost all boost and had to pull over on the hard shoulder.

The car ticked over loudly for about 5 minutes before cutting out on me, after being towed home and under inspection I saw the lower intercooler pipe has popped off, swung into my serpentine belt and tore it to shreds, this is what I thought had made the car cut out as the battery wasn't getting a charge.

Anyway, charged the battery and put the pipe back on properly (forgot to mention the clip that goes around the metal end of the pipe was half way up the pipe itself), and turned it over. It doesn't start now and I've put it down to timing as it looks like the cam belt tensioner has moved from its original position.

I've heard that the tensioners can fail and cause the belt to slip, knocking the timing out as its done to me (I'm hoping).

Now, is this true? I want to make sure completely before forking out for a new cam belt kit, just to find out I've smashed a valve or something.

Thanks in advance

Carl (on behalf of a friend)

Timing "knocked out" usually results in damage on these engines. So hope it's not that.

As it was idling and then stopped the potential for damage is limited. However, that could still mean bent valves.

J.

if you have the cambelt cover off   then it should be easier figure out if it's  moved if your not sure get help as timing is very critical

as it looks like the cam belt tensioner has moved from its original position.

Carl (on behalf of a friend)