Can't select a gear when engine running

I started up the car as usual this morning but I couldn't get it in gear. I pumped the clutch, pressed it down all the way, etc but no go. With the engine off I can select gears no problem.

The only thing different from normal yesterday was driving through a flood but it was only about 6-7 inches deep and how could that effect the clutch anyway?

Does the clutch pedal feel any different to usual? This can happen if the clutch isn't releasing properly. Try selecting a gear and then starting the car - if the engine starts and idles normally (And the car doesn't lurch forward/backwards (Depending on the gear selected) when the starter motor comes on) then this isn't likely to be the issue.

The linkages from the gear lever to the gearbox might be damaged in some way, but this doesn't explain why it works with the engine off, especially if the gear lever feels the same as usual when it is selecting gears.

It looks like my clutch pressure plate or slave cylinder has failed. Both are a gearbox off job so just as well it's still under warranty!

I have a Golf Bluemotion estate courtesy car from Europcar and am waiting for the not so Superb to be collected for delivery to the dealer.

I'll update this when I know what the diagnosis is.

• 2 weeks later...

The clutch worked for the dealer so the only explanation the mechanic could think of was that going through the flood had caused the clutch plates to seize together. Being transported or when removing the car from the transporter had caused the clutch to free up. A look around the forum found some Yeti owners with similar clutch issues after driving through water.

Interesting.

I know there were a few instances of juddering clutches on the MkII Octavia, where overnight condensation would settle on the clutch plates making the exit off the drive on a morning a little brisker than preferred  :D

Interesting.

I know there were a few instances of juddering clutches on the MkII Octavia, where overnight condensation would settle on the clutch plates making the exit off the drive on a morning a little brisker than preferred :D

I had this on my Octavia Estate! The first 4 miles where juddery as hell at this time of year...

• Like 1