Cleaning seatbelts

Has anyone any advice or suggestions about how to clean a seatbelt?

I've just had to update from a 2006 to a 2010 Octavia Estate via a dealer, and the new vehicle seems fine except that it has light coloured seats, mats seatbelts etc., which are already showing tons of mud from the wet ground. But the driver's seat belt is all darkened by what looks like an oily, soaked in, infusion. It's as if either the previous owner has had very oily hands when he put the belt on or maybe someone has tried in the past to oil the seatbelt mechanism.

The dirt is worst where you grab the belt to put it on, but extends over almost the total length of the belt. Not really a problem, more just a bit yuck-making every time you get in the car.

Anything better than a few hour's work with washing-up liquid? Obviously I don't want to weaken the belt.

Hmmm, I've now tried a couple of spray-on all purpose cleaners, and can see a small amount of dirt coming off on the towel or papaer towel, but the seat belt still looks very dirty in the small area I've tried. Most of the belt is dirty, so it's going to take forever at this rate.

Can you suggest the particular type or make of cleaner you have used?

If I can't get this better without wearing the belt away with the scrubbing, I think it's going to have to be back to the dealer. It's only the driver's seat belt that is affected.

if you are confident you could try taking the whole seat belt mechanism out as there is just a couple of bolts behind the trim and disconnect wiring, and give the fully extended  belt a quick warm shower in the bath with autoglym upholstery cleaner

(just don't get the mechanism wet as there is electronics inside for the tensioner)

Hi, got this from a german website and translate it via online translator...not perfect but that should help...

An intensive cleaning of the seat belts often requires doing a few auxiliary utensils and minimal hand skills. You will need a diluted, liquid light-duty detergents in a small bucket, a handy viscose, a terry towel, a sturdy cardboard box, a toothbrush, a plastic bag, some tape and a little clear water.

Car belts: Preparations for the purification
The cardboard box next to the open door on the floor. Evert Now the plastic bag completely over the carton, so that the surface is taut, and fix the lower ends of the tape. This creates a water-repellent surface, which is needed later. About this surface now insert a damp towel. The bucket with the diluted cleaning solution you provide in addition to the cardboard. Here it is very important that the cleaning agent used is not too strong - that does not contain corrosive substances such as citric acid.

Car belts: Purification
Roll each one small area of ​​the vehicle seat belt to be cleaned off. This piece of the belt put now on the wet towel surface of the cardboard boxes. Wash with the viscose and the wash solution the subregion concerned drenching from. Through the damp towel the underside of the seat belt is soaked and is easy to clean later. Do you have the upper side treated finished, turn the seat around easily. Only when the entire belt length has been cleaned, it goes on with the belt guide. To do this, take the toothbrush handy, wet it with the washing solution and brushing intensively all gaps. Finally, you need only wipe with a damp towel the cleaned belt to thereby completely remove all residues of the wash solution. With a dry towel, the belt will now be dried and fixed to the belt guide so that he does not wound up during the dry phase in the air of its own accord. Thanks to this approach, you will get in no time back the original color or flexibility of your belts.

Edited by 0ctavist