AEG Lavamat washer/dryer problems

Clunkclick

You do have the knowledge of where the repair was carried out last time - but do they??

I did some subbing for Severn Trent many years ago; we were sent to locate a sewage pipe running from a remote house, across some fields and into a local pumping station.

Problem one, the pipe wasnt where it was supposed to be (running straight across a huge field).

Problem two, the PUMPING station wasnt where it was supposed to be!!

Problem three, we couldnt follow the pipe from the house, because it then crossed some MOD property we couldnt access.

We finally (after about 4 hours waving that wand about) found the pipe line running along the far side of the field, then followed it to its destination - except the pumping station wasnt the one listed, but a completely different one that didnt appear on the map, and wasnt listed on ST's asset list.

From memory, the station we found had been built in the mid 1970's and hadnt had an engineer visit since (according to the station log book) - this was in the early 90's.

We never did find the pumping station listed.

Honestly guys, the longest run of pipe they have to deal with is 30 metres, unobstructed in the kerbside road. Easy Peasy.

Unless the Emergency Repair Team have switched allegiances to ISIL, we're all OK.

And as I saw Dave on TV shaking Francois's hand yesterday and, then , shortly, afterwards, Francois doing his shaky hands man impersonation with the Saudi Interior minister, I think we're all OK on that score, no matter what the ACMP says !

Nick

GG- no surprise there ,then. I've been in this house for almost 20 years, with problems on supply= rate of supply and pressure, as we're on a shared( with over 5 other houses,) supply.ST bloke says solution is simple- turn up pressure and volume, and regulate pressure to each house, but the supply lines couldn't cope. So we get the same answer- over 24 hours, recordings say pressure and rate are (on average) ,within limits. So WHY do I have to shower with one hand on control valve, and often the shower refuses to heat, as the PRESSURE IS TOO LOW.

Then, we got stacks of muck in the water. Filter jug had to be cleaned out almost daily. We've had a replacement pipe sitting waiting connection , but ST have no record of a request for connection.

Twas on a Monday morning the Waterman came to call - but he'd got stopped in a flood, caused by a ST main bursting, and flooding the road.

Sounds like one excuse we got for low water pressure- a pipe in a park a few miles away had burst.

:notme: :notme: :notme: :notme:

I feel your pain.

Perhaps I should detail the SEVEN WEEKS it has taken Royal Mail to send an activation code for a business postage service; I have been spending ~£10 per week on phone calls to them, and have 50+ emails from various people (you email a/ and b/ replies, you email b/ and c/ replies)

Affinity's excavation team pitched up yesterday and dug-up a trench from the front garden, across the public footpath, to the kerbstone and replaced the communication pipe (About 12 feet's worth):-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/narobs/25040815684/in/dateposted-public/

Affinity engineers advised that there was "No leak" on my Supply.

But, as you can see from this post-repair photo, there is an awful lot of water on the roadside of the trench and the kerbstone appears to have been undermined and this seems to be greater in quantity than the small amount around the base of my new Stop-Valve enclosure:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/narobs/25044597443/in/dateposted-public/

That's an awful lot for groundwater, given that my property is on the 50 foot OS contour, that the road slopes right to left (Per the photo) at 1 in 20 and that the nearest brook is a third of a mile to the left margin.

Affinity are now digging at a location in the road, 30 metres up the slight hill (To the right of the  photos) looking for a leak outside the Church.

I reckon with that amount of water, in this location,  its got to be a leak in Affinity supply or a broken drain.

No word back from Affinity yet on the sample taken on Friday from the water in the newly installed stop-valve enclosure.

Postscript

I realise now, looking at the photos, that Affinity have re-located the stop-valve enclosure from my front garden into the public footpath:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/narobs/25370489190/in/dateposted-public/

Going left to right in the photo, that's wooden boundary post (My garden), then prefab concrete edge stripping (Demarcating the boundary between my garden and the public footpath) and finally the stop-valve enclosure. Why do that ?

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

Snap. Same problem.

Every time I sign-in on here this week  I need to renew my password.

What's the chances of that ?

Groundwater survey contained in "Hydrological outlook UK",  produced by British Geological Survey in conjunction with Environment Agency, says that Groundwater for the Chilterns and South-East is at a historical/three month outlook  at "Normal to below normal

setting".

http://www.hydoutuk.net/latest-outlook/further-information-february-2015/

I don't think normal for round here is as high as in my pictures and if it is, then there's a real danger of heavy vehicles moving along the road causing hydraulic movement in everything around it i.e. infrastructure and buildings. This suggests to me that extra land drainage is required.

First step, I'll take a sample of that water and get it tested, just to make sure it isn't sewer water.

Nick

The water in the excavated trench has increased over the last two days, despite the sunny weather, and, from the tests I've just done  on a sample taken from it appears to be drinkable !!!!!!

There are no active bacteria, according to the test strip results (Swimming pool test kit) and the Total Dissolved solids meter is showing 242 parts per million. Water is drinkable below 420ppm. Ditch water/brackish water starts at 500 ppm and upwards.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/narobs/25068467754/in/dateposted-public/

TDS

https://www.flickr.com/photos/narobs/25580288062/in/dateposted-public/

Active bacterial content (Only a "T" line, no "C" line, QED no contamination)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/narobs/25068467674/in/dateposted-public/

The tap water, also measured today, shows TDS of 226ppm.

If there's no  fresh water leak, then I'm a Dutchman selling refurbished VAG gearboxes stuffed with sawdust as new.

We shall see,. I await the promised phone call from the Customer Service lady.

Nick

Had a look at the other trench Affinity excavated yesterday. This is located 30 meters up the rise, outside the Church. There's no more than a cup full of water in that trench:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/narobs/25068467914/in/dateposted-public/

There's has to be a leak either in the public road or in the service road that accesses the flats behind me.

Even Time Team have modest ground penetrating radar or, failing that, food dye in the mains and spot where it comes out.

IMHO, back-filling the trench outside my place with water accumulating at that rate, even if they pump it out beforehand, will just result in the road and buried infrastructure being broken under hydraulic effect of heavy vehicles  and they'll be back in six months to do a major repair and paying damages to all other interests adversely affected.

Nick

Had a look at the other trench Affinity excavated yesterday. This is located 30 meters up the rise, outside the Church. There's no more than a cup full of water in that trench:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/narobs/25068467914/in/dateposted-public/

There's has to be a leak either in the public road or in the service road that accesses the flats behind me.

Even Time Team have modest ground penetrating radar or, failing that, food dye in the mains and spot where it comes out.

IMHO, back-filling the trench outside my place with water accumulating at that rate, even if they pump it out beforehand, will just result in the road and buried infrastructure being broken under hydraulic effect of heavy vehicles  and they'll be back in six months to do a major repair and paying damages to all other interests adversely affected.

Nick

They wont care about that, any more than the gas board care about the fact the gas pipe running down our road is falling apart and needs replacing; they dont have ANY budget for new pipe (but DO have a massive repair budget) (as told to me by one of the engineers)

They have dug the road up within a few hundred meters of my house about 4 or 5 times in the last year - and I can smell gas again outside, so they will be back again soon.

They wont care about that, any more than the gas board care about the fact the gas pipe running down our road is falling apart and needs replacing; they dont have ANY budget for new pipe (but DO have a massive repair budget) (as told to me by one of the engineers)

They have dug the road up within a few hundred meters of my house about 4 or 5 times in the last year - and I can smell gas again outside, so they will be back again soon.

Probably one that could be referred to your MP.

There's got to be a statutory duty in there somewhere subject to criminal proceedings in the event of a lapse of that duty. Take your pic, Gas Supply Regulations, CAA, COSH, EPA, COPA, RIDDOR, PHA. And, the gas companies pipes travel through Local Authority subterranean areas, presumably on some sort of licence. So the LAs must have oversight and could be roped-in.

Any heavy vehicles transit up your street ? Any street firework parties in the offing ? Any ad-hoc signage going up with regard to dangerous fumes ? Anything which might generate the need for an independent third party to do a risk assessment.

A parallel statutory framework applies to water. 

And, of course,  additionally, in both cases,  a large body of civil law regarding the escape of  fluids and noxious substances onto or into  someone else's land and into someone else's air space ! Which has Rylands v. Fletcher at its base.

And, then there's Nuisance to a Highway which has a criminal law and civil law component.

And if the escape enters your land and then flows onto someone else's land, I presume that a chain of liability ensues.

Not forgetting Occupiers liability if someone comes on your land and suffers ill-effects from an escape for which you are primarily not responsible.

Do as I did, don't fanny about, write to the CEO. That way the liability for anything that happens then appends from that point on to the fountain-head in corporate and personal terms. That's the way your insurers would look at it.

However, they carve up their budgets is their concern, but, if they do it inappropriately in relation to the real needs of the business, then it will have consequences and the ill-effects of those will be legally actionable.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

I live on one of only two roads that transit Malvern N-S, the road is very busy with cars, buses and lorries; so every set of road works causes issues - not helped by the fact they have barred through traffic on many of the housing estate road that could be used to bypass the almost constant roadworks.

All the above post may be true, but after nearly 8 weeks of trying to get Royal Mail to send a simple activation code, I am too tired to take on the gas board AGAIN - I had BG cap my supply last year after several years of issues, so a ruptured pipe doesnt affect me too much.

You were right.

I'm now in "Smoke and a pancake" territory.

Contractor pitched-up "Early Bird" before 08:00 and filled in the trench. I'm not sure whether they pumped-out the accumulated water before back-filling. That leaves the footpath remedial work still to be done.

Needless to say the Customer Service lady who phoned  to "Update Me" at 10:45 yesterday, although I did previously advise her colleague that I would be at the hospital AM, didn't get through to me PM. But, I already had a "Heads-Up" yesterday on the contractor's activities when  speaking to one of the workers at the time I took  water sample (PM)-  I was told that they were supposed to fill in the hole yesterday, but a job at Chalfont had delayed them.

I take it from their actions, that they are content that there is no further significant leakage, despite the water that accumulated in the trench, post replacement of the communication pipe. That's despite the fact that he info on Expert Third Party website tells us that a leak  as small as 0.5mm can cause the loss of up to 20 litres an hour.

What's happened here doesn't seem all that methodical - it would interesting to know whether a proper Affinity Engineer, not just a techy or a workman,  visited the site, post-repair, to sign-off the work. Or does the "Customer service" roller coaster when set-on one of its company protocols just roll-on to the bitter end of the procedure regardless of contra-indications  and "Bury the evidence".

I will be requesting confirmation in writing that Affinity are content with the repair and state of water supply here.

What can you say, only time will tell what happens next.

If that's the QUALITY  of result that the combination of foreign ownership, private capital and part direction by British Merchant bank can produce in the Water Industry, what price Hinkley Point, eh readers ?

Nick

Hinkley Point may never happen, EON DONT want to build it, but wont admit it; instead they have been saying "a decision will be make later this year", since 2008. The Nuke was supposed to be built and operating by next year........

(Even though the government keep throwing money at them for it)

(Actually, having seen the quality of Chinese made cement, I doubt they will be able to finish the last of the construction before the first built they built falls down.)

What ? Impossible (In a French accent). As well as skanky quality electronic goods ? Deuxieme impossible !

When I think back to the '60's, there was a succession of Labour Chancellor's having to go cap-in-hand to get loans from the IMF "Gnomes of Zurich" because the ol' Balance of Payments (Visibles) was a bit out of kilter and the boys in the City of London were reported as  having sleepless nights (Before the age of therapists)  "Worrying" about the Trade Deficit (That, of course, didn't stop them speculating against the pound, when the inclination so took 'em - no need to ask a Social Worker where Lupert gets it from !) .

And nowadays, the City of London is so well rowed-in to the Davos inspired International Trade bonus-go-round that  eyelids don't even get a flicker when considering an enduring Trade deficit 10 times the level of the 1960's.

Nick

The contractors Team 2 pitched-up at just before 11.00 and within 20 minutes, had re-made the footpath.

Very efficient in that respect.

But, unfortunately, that isn't the real issue.  Its whether the trench should have been closed without investigating the source or cause of the apparent fresh water that accumulated in the trench following the work on the Communication pipe.

Stating the bl''ding obvious(As usual), it just seems to me that once the Customer Service Protocol juggernaut is set in motion, nothing will stop it mid-stride, ' 'cause for  those executing it at each stage, failure to complete action in a timely way risks a possible adverse annual assessment or worse - or if you are a contractor payments withheld. Is this this really the way things should go, a  "We were only obeying orders" culture ?

As far as I'm concerned, two out of three of the issues originally reported i.e. variable water pressure and low flow have been resolved and I have been verbally  assured that the water issuing from the kitchen is fit for human consumption. It would be nice to have an e-mail confirming that.

If there is still water in the external stop-valve enclosure, then as all areas south of the external stop-valve towards the communication pipe and the mains are Affinity's responsibility, then anything that subsequently occurs due to their oversight sits squarely with them. You can lead a horse to water, but cream buns are a different proposition.

Being cynical and self-interested, here's hoping the rate of the undetected leak is great enough that there's never enough standing water in it such that bacteria level increases and gets re-ingested into the pipe as the Sheffield Uni model (See my earlier post) confirms.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

BUT, a great opportunity going begging here for one of our  Entrez pruners.

A new "A-blast"  brand of clothing designed for Somerset residents exclusively (How "Special" does that make you feel ?), with an innovative tin-foil textured finish.

It will be all the rage - at least for the  half-life of uranium.

Nick

BUT, a great opportunity going begging here for one of our  Entrez pruners.

A new "A-blast"  brand of clothing designed for Somerset residents exclusively (How "Special" does that make you feel ?), with an innovative tin-foil textured finish.

It will be all the rage - at least for the  half-life of uranium.

Nick

If they ever remake those 70's ReadyBrek adverts, they wont need special effects, just recruit children from the area around Hinkley Point.

Here we are Wednesday, a week after the latest repair work was done on the Communication pipe and I've still had no advice what the outcome is.

No knock on the door, nothing.

But I observed  an Affinity van turning up yesterday PM and today, again AM. The occupant got out and lifted the external stop-valve, took-out the polystrenne bung in the top and took and looked down it  - the guy had a tape measure with him.  Again, no knock on door.

I can only presume that two visits in two days means they are monitoring something in the external stop-valve enclosure -  varying water level, perchance ? if it was just a check on the state of the hole/footpath re-instatement, then it would have just been one visit.

When I get a few free nanoseconds free today, I'll  have to take a look myself and give 'em a ring to find out what the fudge is going on.

So, re-stating the situation again,  as it was Friday last. Verbal advise to me was that there was no further leak. After the repair work was completed,  the trench dug for the replacement of the communication pipe outside my property had CLEARWATER in it, varying in depth between 6 inches and 1 foot over a three foot run (Which went under the road, and could have gone further, but I couldn't see) and a sample taken from it by me tested @ 242 ppm TDS (Within limits of acceptability for drinlking water and bacteria free). The last smattering of rain we had round here was Wednesday last (Not enough to wet a dog's bowl), And,  the other hole, dug at the direction of the Affinity Leak detection team, 30 metres up the road, which sits probably about 1.5 feet above the level of my property, was practically  BONE DRY - no more than a cup of water in the bottom.

Conclusion, unless water has spontaneously decided to flow uphill now, is that if my connection is secure and there is still accumulated water in the newly installed stop-valve enclosure, and as there was no observable leak in the hole dug outside the Church, then  it would seem that there is a leak, of freshwater, in between the hole that was dug outside the church and the one dug outside my place. My less-than-educated guess is that the leak is near or under the road that serves the flats behind. This joins the public road at a location mid-way between the two holes dug by Affinity so far.

And the other thing to remember, of course, is that just because a measured water level appears to stay static doesn't mean there is no leak. That proposition is based on flawed logic. There could be, at the same time,  a quantity X flowing into the SC enclosure from a leak and the same quantity X draining away to lower levels.

However, variations in pressure and flow-rate over the day due to varying consumer usuage would cause that level to vary over several days. Maybe that's what they are currently looking for ?

The Americans don't seem to make such a meal of finding leaks:-

Here we are Wednesday, a week after the latest repair work was done on the Communication pipe and I've still had no advice what the outcome is.

No knock on the door, nothing.

But I observed  an Affinity van turning up yesterday PM and today, again AM. The occupant got out and lifted the external stop-valve, took-out the polystrenne bung in the top and took and looked down it  - the guy had a tape measure with him.  Again, no knock on door.

I can only presume that two visits in two days means they are monitoring something in the external stop-valve enclosure -  varying water level, perchance ? if it was just a check on the state of the hole/footpath re-instatement, then it would have just been one visit.

When I get a few free nanoseconds free today, I'll  have to take a look myself and give 'em a ring to find out what the fudge is going on.

So, re-stating the situation again,  as it was Friday last. Verbal advise to me was that there was no further leak. The trench dug for the replacement of the communication pipe outside my property had CLEARWATER in it, varying in depth between 6 inches and 1 foot over a three foot run (Which went under the road, and could have gone further, but I couldn't see) and a sample taken from it by me tested @ 242 ppm TDS (Within limits of acceptability for drinlking water and bacteria free. The last smattering of rain we had round here was Wednesday last (No enough to wet a dog's bowl), And,  the other hole, dug at the direction of the Affinity Leak detection team, 30 metres up the road, which sits probably about 1.5 feet above the level of my property, was practically  BONE DRY - no more than a cup of water in the bottom.

Conclusion, unless water has spontaneously decided to flow uphill now, is that if my connection is secure and as there was no observable leak in the hole dug outside the Church, then  it would seem that there is a leak, of freshwater, in between the hole that was dug outside the church and the one dug outside my place. My less-than-educated guess is that the leak is near or under the road that serves the flats behind. This joins the public road at a location mid-way between the two holes dug by Affinity so far.

And the other thing to remember, of course, is that just because a measured water level appears to stay static doesn't mean there is no leak. That proposition is based on flawed logic. There could be, at the same time,  a quantity X flowing into the SC enclosure from a leak and the same quantity X draining away to lower levels.

However, variations in pressure and flow-rate over the day due to varying consumer usuage would cause that level to vary over several days. Maybe that's what they are currently looking for ?

The Americans don't seem to make such a meal of finding leaks:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvTwPi0mX4s

Sorry, about the obvious server  software error on this post (Repitition of post).

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

I don't think this helps the situation . .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/narobs/25834499225/in/dateposted-public/

(Taken about 25 minutes ago from the front door, when I was taking a home delivery !).

10 - tonner on the pavement (My home delivery came in a Sainsbury's van !), within 20 feet of the recent repair outside my property. Presumably he would have mounted the pavement outside my property to get there.

Seems to be a regular feature of behaviour now.  As you can see from the yellow lines, this road is part of a Parking Control Zone.

These drivers or their companies don't mind, in the absence of intervention from the authorities, doing any amount of damage to the pavements or the infra structure, if you don't mind paying for it. 

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

If it is any consolation, ST are re-piping one of the roads around here, new plastic mains pipe and feeds to the houses; yesterday their brand new pipes sprung a MAJOR leak; a river of water flowing down the street that they still hadnt managed to fix by lunchtime today, even though they hadnt had time to fill in the trenches before the leak occurred.

Last Thursday, got a phone call  PM from a lady at Affinity claiming to be the CEO's PA.

I gathered she had been tasked to determine whether I was satisfied with the work done so far.

To which I said, broadly, yes but with a couple of reservations

I was now happy with the water pressure and flow coming out the kitchen tap and  the re-instalment of the groundworks excavation had been done to a good standard, but the water quality and the continued existence of a  leak, after the completion of the last repair to the Communication pipe, was an issue still to be determined - witness the large of amount of water that accumulated in the trench following the repair and which was still there 3 days later.

Its was agreed that I would send an e-mail detailing the issues I considered settled and closed and those I regarded as still open  and what I considered needed to be done to close them - I attached photos (The same selection as posted on here), taken at various stages during the repair process to back all this up. I explained that In addition to further detection work that I thought would be necessary to verify (Or discount)   the continued existence of a leak that I required a written assurance that the verbal advice I received from the Water Quality Team who sampled my kitchen supply ( Which occurred before the latest re-location of the external stop-valve) and who had declared it as safe, still stood.  My E_mail  response, to this effect,  was sent the same evening.

So today, PM I get a further phone call from the same lady. Having had the benefit of seeing the photos, she, unofficially  stated (After acknowledging that she had no real technical expertise) that she thought that the amount of water left in the trench after the last repair was carried out was unusual and, I got the impression, that she thought it was a leak and that the local teams wouldn't do anything about it.  What sort of organisation is this ?

When I maintained that I still considered there was a leak at the site and that I  still required written confirmation of water quality, if only in E-mail, she whinged about Affinity then having to dig the site up again, and  tried to pass the issue off onto a "Supply manager", offering me a face-to-face meeting. Which I declined. Seemed to me I was getting the usual "Customer service" BS.

Basically, my response was that post-repair testing was required.

I'm told that all the test results are in and that I will be sent copies in due course, but, there is no explanation being offered-up as to where all the water in the trench outside my place came from.

You'd have thought by this stage, two months in, that Affinity would have been in a position to provide an explanation. !

Seems to me, just from viewing the leak detection and repair videos on the net, that  Affinity have only done half the job.

Their water leak detection team came for two days before the latest repair was carried out , and, I'm told, installed data loggers (Could be either ultrasonic Transducers (Accelerometers) to measure water flow or just leak listening devices)  on the water system at various points to determine where the leaks were (I couldn't determine what they really did, as they appeared to be sitting in the vans most of the time) And on the basis of this marked -up the location outside my house and another 20-30 meters up the road outside the church for excavation. As far as I know they found and did nothing at the Church excavation, which turned out to be a dry hole (So the data loggers were only 50% accurate ?) and simply replaced the Communication pipe in the other hole outside my place (Which the Water Detection Team Leader had advised me was probably unnecessary) and left the trench full of water, which stayed there until it was back-filled 4 days later. They haven't been back since.

Surely, the methodology is wrong. The leak detectors should have come back as  a matter of routine procedure after the repair, but before the trench was filled-in, to determine whether the repair had been successful and whilst here they could have taken the opportunity to determine where the hell all that near-tap purity water in the trench had come from. They didn't. 

I've subsequently learned from sources on the web that leak detection results  using these data loggers are wrong on average 1 out of 5 times. And that good practice dictates that the data loggers should return after the repair is done, to confirm that it has been successful and that the leak has been addressed.

I've also learned that whilst the first two stages of leak detection i.e."Localise" and "Locate"  are done using data loggers that the third "Pinpoint" stage is usually done nowadays using road hydrophones which are trailled over a pipe run by a operative carrying the kit - per the You Tube videos. I don't recall seeing the Affinity guys doing the "Pinpoint" stage. Had they done so they might have actually found the leak, which I reckon is bracketed between the two previous excavations at the junction of between the unadopted service road  (Tarmac on brick rubble - now lets guess, as amateur "Professionals", what would  the passage of heavy trucks do to that ?) which runs down the side of my place and the public road - I advised the PA accordingly.

Not only that, but the data logger methodology can be undermined by the fact that measurements (If they are using flow-rate data on the loggers) are inferential as regards leaks. In a system which seeks to detect leaks over a wide area, the possibility of systematic error through compensatory effects done a line will probably apply. What effect, for instance,  would dirt ingested into pipework as a result of a leak have on the detector readings ?

On the positive side, this  amateur split-arse mechanic has just re-commissioned, in less than 3 weeks (Includes waiting for internet ordered parts to arrive) the table top dishwasher, after replacing both door hinges and neoprene bushes, both door seals, the plastic door fascia, the galvanised mild-steel undertray, the outside mild-steel shell and the plastic door frame. Tested and worked first-time. A - OK.

With the stance that is currently being taken by Affinity i.e. that the CEO is unable or unwilling to order his chaps to go forth and fix it, I think the hot place will probably freeze over or there will be a great flood (Que Mr Crow, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfBckq9pTGM, ) before Affinity gets its arse in gear.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick