New Rapid

I've been a Skoda fan for years. My Dad had an original 120 Rapid and we've both had Felicia's and Fabia's. In laws also have a Fabia and Rapid Spaceback. Collecting the wife's new Fabia on Sunday - excited much, although it's her car!!

Test drove a 13 plate Rapid a few weeks back and whilst pleased with the engine pace and space, a little disappointed in the comfort and ride. As above, wife's getting a new Fabia on Sunday and can't help thinking the Rapid felt a little dated.

Would go for an Octavia but feel the Rapids offer better value for money. The point of my post is does anyone know if the Rapids have been upgraded since 2013 and would handle different to the one I test drove? What are peoples honest thoughts on this car? Are they cheap for an reason?

The ride was hideous on the 2012/13 cars, much improved in late '13 when the Spaceback came out, and is alleged to be even better now.

The diesel rode even worse ( based on my test drive of a '13 model back to back with my crappy old Proton), and the specs of the 12/13's were stingy in the extreme.

The steering was changed in late '13 at the same time as the better suspension settings.

You should test drive a newer one.

Edited by camelspyyder

I have a 2015 Rapid sport and well, let me try and be fair and diplomatic. It's a bit like Skoda said to themselves, "it's all going really well for us at the moment, but let's try and build a Skoda a bit like how we used to build them in the 70s & 80s, cheap and a bit crap!!! It looks ok/ good in Sport form, but and this is a big but, it's awful in comparison to modern cars, if it was the 90s then ok, but it's just not up to acceptable modern standards build and quality wise. Having said all of that I love the way it drives, that might sound strange to say after the slating I've just given it but it's a good honest no frills car, you don't have to depress the clutch to start the engine. It doesn't turn off every time you stop in traffic, it doesn't have annoying auto wipers or auto lights. It's a petrol which is unusual in these days of turbo diesel and it sounds good when you put your foot down. It's kind of the best bits of older cars but also some of the worst bits too, you just have to learn to love it.

• Like 1

I have a 2015 Rapid sport and well, let me try and be fair and diplomatic. It's a bit like Skoda said to themselves, "it's all going really well for us at the moment, but let's try and build a Skoda a bit like how we used to build them in the 70s & 80s, cheap and a bit crap!!! It looks ok/ good in Sport form, but and this is a big but, it's awful in comparison to modern cars, if it was the 90s then ok, but it's just not up to acceptable modern standards build and quality wise. Having said all of that I love the way it drives, that might sound strange to say after the slating I've just given it but it's a good honest no frills car, you don't have to depress the clutch to start the engine. It doesn't turn off every time you stop in traffic, it doesn't have annoying auto wipers or auto lights. It's a petrol which is unusual in these days of turbo diesel and it sounds good when you put your foot down. It's kind of the best bits of older cars but also some of the worst bits too, you just have to learn to love it.

Strangely, I do have to depress the clutch to start, and it does switch off in traffic (saving about 6% on mpg).

Whereas, in comparison to @liveseytowers, both the ride and handling on my '14 model (whilst OK without a comparison) are quite inferior to my '15 Ibiza.

A trip around the forums here would indicate its not just the Rapid.  A fair few unsatisfied Octy 3 owners too.

Skoda seem to be having a quality slump like Mercedes did in the late 90's with the rusty 5h1tbox W210 E-class and C208 CLK coupes.

Edited by camelspyyder

Strangely, I do have to depress the clutch to start, and it does switch off in traffic (saving about 6% on mpg).

Whereas, in comparison to @liveseytowers, both the ride and handling on my '14 model are quite inferior to my '15 Ibiza.

Admittedly mine isnt run in yet so whilst the ride quality is as good if not better, ive not thrown it around any corners yet to really test the handling.

As others have said its a good spec car, very good size car that seems to be made badtardised from the VW parts bin. It does seem to get quite a bit of negativity in this forum but im very happy with mine so far.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Admittedly mine isnt run in yet so whilst the ride quality is as good if not better, ive not thrown it around any corners yet to really test the handling.

As others have said its a good spec car, very good size car that seems to be made badtardised from the VW parts bin. It does seem to get quite a bit of negativity in this forum but im very happy with mine so far.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Mine's approaching 2 years old from buying new, and my positive reasons for buying it are still valid:

1. Cheap as chips (the sticker started with the numbers 1 & 2)

2. Good Spec

3. Nice Looks

4. Loads of Space

5. OK drive

I'm keeping it for a few years yet.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

I'm really glad I don't have to press the clutch down to start the engine, means I can start it whilst standing outside, then get straight on with scraping ice off windows, rather than having to pointlessly sit down then get back out again. Might sound like a small thing but it greatly pleases me. The stop start annoys me too, I've heard it takes more fuel to keep starting the engine than if you just left it running and it knackers the starter motor, don't know if either are true but I'm happy it stays on.

It does indeed look good, especially as a sport and it's definitely got lots of space, I don't know how they do that??

The stop start didn't work for the first 4 months I had it, but now it does its gving a 6% fuel saving (£120 a year) and its in a cheaper Tax band (£30 instead of £110)   ;)

Edited by camelspyyder

It does indeed look good, especially as a sport and it's definitely got lots of space, I don't know how they do that??

Well the Polo takes 4 people and baggage, and the Rapid has the same chassis with a 132mm wheelbase stretch (hence the great rear legroom)

The overall length is 533mm / 354mm longer (Hatch/Space) hence the big boots too.   :)

Still don't see how SEAT UK / Skoda UK dealers are able to discount them so much though?  Zero miles Rapid SE or Sport or SE Tech are £12k today on Autotrader!!

Edited by camelspyyder

TBF the Rapid is based on now quite aged tech being heavily Mk2 Fabia based....though that said I think the 2016 MY cars have been significantly improved with more standard kit and the adoption of MQB platform electronics (so bang up to date infotainment etc). Compared to the cost of a Fabia an SE Tech sportback seems like alot of car for the money and as others have said I bet some good discount can be attained as well.

I drove a fairly early 1.6 TDI 105 SE hatch some time ago when my Octavia went in for a service and thought it was entirely decent.

Edited by pipsypreturns

TBF the Rapid is based on now quite aged tech being heavily Mk2 Fabia based....though that said I think the 2016 MY cars have been significantly improved with more standard kit and the adoption of MQB platform electronics (so bang up to date infotainment etc). Compared to the cost of a Fabia an SE Tech sportback seems like alot of car for the money and as others have said I bet some good discount can be attained as well.

I drove a fairly early 1.6 TDI 105 SE hatch some time ago when my Octavia went in for a service and thought it was entirely decent.

On Monday when the 1.4 TDI SE Sport Spaceback in Red arrives i will post some photos up inside and out.

• Like 2