USB Type C Android Phones

Has anybody tried connecting a USB Type C Phone to the Car (to use Android Auto for example)?

I'm due an upgrade but am concerned about going for the beast that is the Nexus 6P if USB-Type C isn't supported. If not, then a Moto X Style is my second choice.

Thanks!

Has anybody tried connecting a USB Type C Phone to the Car (to use Android Auto for example)?

I'm due an upgrade but am concerned about going for the beast that is the Nexus 6P if USB-Type C isn't supported. If not, then a Moto X Style is my second choice.

Thanks!

If you use a Type-C to Micro-USB cable there should be no difference at all

That's what I was thinking, but a few people with Fabias and the Bolero system have mentioned that their Android phones that are USB Type C (such as the Oneplus phones) are not connecting to Android Auto.

Hmmm... 

That's what I was thinking, but a few people with Fabias and the Bolero system have mentioned that their Android phones that are USB Type C (such as the Oneplus phones) are not connecting to Android Auto.

Hmmm...

I think it is a SW feature, chinese brands probably do not bother to implement...

Pretty sure you're safe with nexus (stock android).

• Like 1

I think it is a SW feature, chinese brands probably do not bother to implement...

Pretty sure you're safe with nexus (stock android).

My Nexus 6 running stock Android 6.0.1 works fine with Android Auto.

Is the Nexus 6 not the usual Micro-USB connection as opposed to the new USB Type C on the Nexus 6P?

It's the new format that I'm curious about.

USB-C is backward compatible with USB 2 and USB 3 (but not the original USB 1).

As the connection in the Superb is USB 2 this should not be an issue if using a good quality (and by that I mean correctly and fully wired) USB-C to USB-A cable.

Try to avoid using adaptors. A directly connected single cable will give you the optimum connection.

A 12" cable is the ideal length for connecting and storing the phone in the phone tray - it all tucks away quite neatly under the sliding cover.

• Like 1

Yep, thanks BillyJim

I've got some high quality (expensive for cables!) Anker USB leads which are Micro USB and just about a foot long which will be perfect for most phones. I might just save myself the hassle of it (for whatever reason) not working with Android Auto etc and just upgrade to a Micro USB phone - Moto X Style it is!

Usual disclaimer - I don't work for Anker or Motorola or Google!

Edited by Dilz

• 1 month later...

The issue with USB-C appears to be incorrect implementation by non-OEM cable manufacturers. There have been a number of incidents in the IT press recently of incorrectly wired 'C' connectors either not working or setting fire to both laptops and phones or putting 5V onto the data lines, or not implementing current limit controls properly. None of which it good for the hardware!

OEM cables should work with no problem from USB A to USB C, as should more reputable alternative supplier brands.

The issue with USB-C appears to be incorrect implementation by non-OEM cable manufacturers. There have been a number of incidents in the IT press recently of incorrectly wired 'C' connectors either not working or setting fire to both laptops and phones or putting 5V onto the data lines, or not implementing current limit controls properly. None of which it good for the hardware!

OEM cables should work with no problem from USB A to USB C, as should more reputable alternative supplier brands.

True. They need to have the 56k resistor, if they don't it may damage the charger (and in this case the headunits USB)

So stay away from crapcables :)

I have found some cheap cables that passed the 56k resistor-check (appname: CheckR in google store), let me know if you need the url.

It's like £1,2

Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk