Fitting Daytime Running Lights

andyinweymouth

I had a 2012 diesel Roomster which had DRL's, unfortunately we had to change the car to petrol (long story) and this one does not have DRL's.

I would be happy to buy and fit them, just wondered if anyone had already done this and could advise the best solution and where to connect the wiring?

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy

Hi, I fitted some Philips LED'S just recently, they link up to the side lights and go out when you switch your lights on.

They are a very well made light. The only thing I would say about these is this, the lights themselves click into a mounting bracket, make sure you have everything working, and in the right place before you click the lights into the brackets, it is "almost" impossible to get them out again.

Apart from that, there good lights. :nerd:

Had real prob's loading pic's, sorry they don't enlarge. There should have been two different pic's.

Carn't remember where I got my DRL'S from, but there's some on Amazon at a good price, I paid a lot more. Philips DRL 4 Led.

Edited by NZ100

Thanks for the info guys, just to be sure - I have not checked but are you saying there is a 12v available at the sidelight even when it is switched off?

I like the look of the Phillps DRL, any chance of a close up shot to see how / where they are mounted?

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,had a real job uploading pic's, I've never had prob's before.

I fitted mine next to the fog lights, as you can see.

There's no real way of taking a picture to show how there fitted.

The bracket on the lights allow you to fit bolts upward and backwards.

I fitted my first set of DRL's into the front grill, was a lot easier.

The lights themselves,they link through a box between the battery and side lights.

Thanks for the update and useful info. I may be being dumb so forgive me (I'm not being lazy but there is no point in re-inventing the wheel if the knowledge is already out there), but I am still a little unsure about the wiring.

I am about to fit DRL's to my Sprinter motorhome and found an ignition switched power connection for this purpose which means whilst the ignition is on so are they.

Regarding the Roomster, you mention connecting via the battery and sidelights, is there some sort of relay which is switched via the ignition key??

Thanks for the update and useful info. I may be being dumb so forgive me (I'm not being lazy but there is no point in re-inventing the wheel if the knowledge is already out there), but I am still a little unsure about the wiring.

I am about to fit DRL's to my Sprinter motorhome and found an ignition switched power connection for this purpose which means whilst the ignition is on so are they.

Regarding the Roomster, you mention connecting via the battery and sidelights, is there some sort of relay which is switched via the ignition key??

Hi Andy, the box I mentioned does all the switching on and off, no looking for spare fuses or wiring up to ignition etc.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I know that this is a 4 year old thread, but I am wondering whether I can switch the DRLs on in my daughter's 2009 Fabia 3. I had the light switch out and pin 3 is labeled TFL, the wiring diagram shows a yellow / blue (ge/bl) wire to clamp 56b in the main wiring loom - see attachment.

My question now is whether anyone knows where I can easily find and tap into this ge/bl wire?

Also does anyone know whether the relays 2.1 and 2.2 (DRL relays) are fitted as standard?

TFL.pdf Relay Holder.pdf

When you say "switch the DRL's on", are they already fitted but aren't working?

Or are you looking to utilise the dipped headlights or front fog lights to perform the DRL function?

Or are you wanting to fit some aftermarket DRL light units?

DRL's were not not fitted at the factory on UK-spec 2009 Fabia's so I am assuming you're looking at option 2 or 3...

2009/59 SKODA FABIA 3 1.4 TDI 80 **1 YEAR MOT - JUST ...

The Fabia above has it's front fog lights turned on. It is possible to set these to operate as DRL's but at a lower intensity.

Is your Fabia possibly a MY10 (model year 2010) but registered late in 2009, so is actually the facelift where DRL's were introduced to the Fabia for the first time?

Skoda Fabia (2010 - 2014) used car review | Car review | RAC Drive

image.png.2a84c1de2e7fb298cd2082f00e571cbb.png

Either way you might find this thread useful...

Hi Silver1011,

The Fabia is on picture 1. We do not have the switch in the fuse board or the wiring in place - or if it is in place, I missed it. I am I did think about connecting to clamp 56b as on Elsawin wiring diagrams for the MY2009, but I am going to utilise clamp 61 now which switches the fog lights (DRLs) on when the engine is running. I am going to use a relay and tap into the fog light wire via a fuse.

I did look into the MY2009 cornering light set up but that requires new fog/cornering lights, bumper trim, the controller J745 - I think from memory - and lots more wiring.

I am also toying with the idea of changing the light switch to one with an "Auto" setting.

If the first photo from my previous post is the set-up of your Fabia then the cleanest and most OEM look will be to utilise the front fog lights to perform the role of DRL.

If it is possible on the Fabia then you'll need VCDS or perhaps even Carista to adjust the coding.

I used VCDS to set the front fog lights as DRL's running at 60% brightness on my 2008 Octavia...

DRL's - Skoda Octavia Mk II (2004 - 2013) - BRISKODA

DRL's - Skoda Octavia Mk II (2004 - 2013) - BRISKODA