1.9 tdi with 312 brakes

I have an '07 1.9 tdi 105 with 288 brakes and the last MOT had advisories for brake disc pitting, so as I'm going to need to change them I thought why not upgrade whilst I'm at it. So my question is this: can I just get a new set of caliper carriers and use my existing calipers with 312 discs?

Cheers

Pete

Edited by MrVillage

Does the 1.9 TDi have 288mm brakes? I thought they had FSIII brakes.

312mm is possible if you have the seperate carriers. You will need the full lot though as the calipers are slightly different on the Fabia II to the Octavia etc so can't mix and match.

• Like 1

Does a 1.9TDI (non remap?) need 312mm brakes? I've got them as standard on the Superb and they are bloody heavy. It's a lot of mass out at the end of the suspension arm. I was surprised how heavy they are compared to the 288mm brakes I had on the Octavia. 

My brakes are fairly wooden, but I will be driving 150 miles to work tomorrow morning so they may perk up with a bit of use. The car has been sat on a garage forecourt for god knows how long so there is some surface corrosion that needs removing.  I ran a tape measure across them yesterday and they appear to be 288s rather than 256s. I might just get new (good) discs and pads and see what that does.  any recommendations of decent discs and pads?  I have used Black Diamond (on my T4 camper) and Green stuff pads (on various vehicles) in the past.

If indeed they are 288 check and see if caliper bracket is bolted to hub then all you need is to deside 288 or 312, if you go 312 it'll require new brackets, calipers and discs and pads

My brakes are fairly wooden, but I will be driving 150 miles to work tomorrow morning so they may perk up with a bit of use. The car has been sat on a garage forecourt for god knows how long so there is some surface corrosion that needs removing. I ran a tape measure across them yesterday and they appear to be 288s rather than 256s. I might just get new (good) discs and pads and see what that does. any recommendations of decent discs and pads? I have used Black Diamond (on my T4 camper) and Green stuff pads (on various vehicles) in the past.

Edited by joedemp
  • Like 1