Hi all,

As you may have already guessed from previous post I like to keep my car in order and try give them as much love as I can. So despite the dull, rainy english weather we're having I've been trying to keep the car clean and free from salt.

I'm about a 1/3 of the way through a proper deep clean (pressure washer pre wash/snow foam/rinse/wash/rinse/Alloy wheels cleaned with wonderwheels & rinsed/claybar/rinse/wash again/dry with monster purple towel/machine polish stage1/Alcohol wipe down/machine polish stage2/Alcohol wipe down/glaze/wax and hover out the inside (again properly!!!) - when I say a 1/3 I mean I've got to the clay bar and dry part on the whole car but only completed the bonnet and the right hand side of the other stages.

Anyway, long process but worth doing. However, whilst cleaning the wheels I notice one of them has discoloured and going a horrible brown/bronze colour! As you might imagine I'm not a happy boy!

Any thoughts??? 

I'm about a 1/3 of the way through a proper deep clean (pressure washer pre wash/snow foam/rinse/wash/rinse/Alloy wheels cleaned with wonderwheels & rinsed/claybar/rinse/wash again/dry with monster purple towel/machine polish stage1/Alcohol wipe down/machine polish stage2/Alcohol wipe down/glaze/wax and hover out the inside...

Anyway, long process but worth doing. However, whilst cleaning the wheels I notice one of them has discoloured and going a horrible brown/bronze colour! As you might imagine I'm not a happy boy!

Any thoughts???

Shall I say what many are probably thinking?...

Are you washing too much?!? Sounds like you're polishing the car away...

(I like a good multi-stage wash/polish/wax too, but I often wonder about some of these powerful wheel cleaners and how corrosive they are)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Dealership or whoever inspects it will say Environmental damage (your cleaning products) 

So get pictures,  and have the Dealership Warranty Manager (Service Manager / Technician) take Photos and send them in with your Warranty Claim to Skoda UK. 

Unless they agree and support your Warranty Claim.

Maybe post pics if you can of a going yellow wheel and one still as should be.

What chemical are you using to clean your rims - I'm wondering if it's too aggressive?

Also, we really need some pics to understand the extent of the discolouration properly.

Edited by chrisgreen

I think it may be down to wonder wheels, which is very aggressive , ww hot rims is safe on any wheel but the original and super alloy , Just about any rim or surface that isn’t lacquered, plastic or steel is ruled out, including chromed wheel nuts. :nerd: Iron x or equivalent is the way to go, but protection with sonax bsd after every wash prevents  the  salt from harming 

Edited by blueR36

Good spot, didn't see the words Wonder Wheels when I first read the OP's first post.

That will almost certainly be the culprit - WW is nasty, nasty aggressive stuff. More than capable of eating through your clear coat and if there's any surface damage on wheels (kerbing, even tiny paint chips) that'll be enough for the stuff to get in under the top layer.

Recommend binning the Wonder Wheels, and suggest that the OP seals their wheels with a good wheel wax (Bouncer's Looking Sweet or Auto Finesse Mint Rims are both good) or spray on Whel sealant (Armorall Shield for Wheels is very good).

Then the OP will be able to maintain the wheels with nothing more than a strong shampoo solution or a dedicated wheel soap.

• Like 2

Good spot, didn't see the words Wonder Wheels when I first read the OP's first post.

That will almost certainly be the culprit - WW is nasty, nasty aggressive stuff. More than capable of eating through your clear coat and if there's any surface damage on wheels (kerbing, even tiny paint chips) that'll be enough for the stuff to get in under the top layer.

Recommend binning the Wonder Wheels, and suggest that the OP seals their wheels with a good wheel wax (Bouncer's Looking Sweet or Auto Finesse Mint Rims are both good) or spray on Whel sealant (Armorall Shield for Wheels is very good).

Then the OP will be able to maintain the wheels with nothing more than a strong shampoo solution or a dedicated wheel soap.

I've been using Dodo Juice's 'Ferrous Dueller' on my my wheels. They come up lovely but I wonder about it's potency. Any views?  I might look into some wheel sealant but so far I have been impressed with how the rapid's wheels appear to stay clean compared to other cars (or at least not look as dirty - probably because of the black inserts)

I've been using Dodo Juice's 'Ferrous Dueller' on my my wheels. They come up lovely but I wonder about it's potency. Any views?  I might look into some wheel sealant but so far I have been impressed with how the rapid's wheels appear to stay clean compared to other cars (or at least not look as dirty - probably because of the black inserts)

Ferrous Dueller is a great product (I also use it myself on the whole car, not just wheels). While it has cleaning abilities, it is primarily a powerful iron remover rather than just a pure-play cleaner product (hence the purple bleeding effect when it comes into contact with iron deposits). it is particularly good for decontaminating bodywork paintwork prior to claying, as well as being good on wheels.

However, it's something I use every few months or so only as part of a deep clean, rather than as part of my weekly car cleaning regimen. That regularly would be overkill and increases the risk of damage.

On the Black and silver diamond cut wheels, the Armorall Shield for Wheels aerosol sealant is the best bet - leaves no residue and no discolouration - just spray on, leave it (don't even need to buff or wipe off). The longer you can leave it to cure, the better. 24 hours of curing in a garage (or indoors if you do a wheels off job) will give you well in excess of six months protection. Four hours curing time outdoors will still do a good 3 months protection. My record is 10 months protection from a single application (wheels in question were off the car - I had my winter rims on - and left to cure indoors for a solid 24 hours at room temperature).

• Like 1

On the Black and silver diamond cut wheels, the Armorall Shield for Wheels aerosol sealant is the best bet - leaves no residue and no discolouration - just spray on, leave it (don't even need to buff or wipe off). The longer you can leave it to cure, the better. 24 hours of curing in a garage (or indoors if you do a wheels off job) will give you well in excess of six months protection. Four hours curing time outdoors will still do a good 3 months protection. My record is 10 months protection from a single application (wheels in question were off the car - I had my winter rims on - and left to cure indoors for a solid 24 hours at room temperature).

Thanks - i'll look into a more gentle wheel cleaner and some of the amorall shield. I;ve used a pure canuba wax on my rims (on a previous car) and that did help kwash the brake dust off more easily. I plan a bit of a deep clean and wax in a couple of weeks.

That's safe for all  wheels, like iron x , but will strip waxes, but not clear coat, ph of 7 , so as long as you wax or some protectant on after ok, and lets face it, so much salt on the road I think that will be a lot less than the salt is 

WonderWheels is properly nasty stuff.  If I remember correctly, it's basically just a very harsh acid, and likely the cause of any discolouration or corrosion.

My personal preference is ValetPro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner.  It's well regarded over on Detailing World.  Very safe cleaner which doesn't cause any damage, but powerful and gets the job done.  If you buy in bulk, it dilutes down and goes a long way.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/valet-pro-bilberry-wheel-cleaner/prod_499.html

I use it dilute 1:5 on our cars, just spray on, allow to dwell for a couple of moments and pressure wash off.  They very rarely need any contact.  I've been using it once a week, every week for years now and the wheels on our cars always look great.

On a car with badly baked on brake dust, I use it neat and agitate with a soft brush.  It's incredible to watch it just melt the brake dust away.

Here's my friend's SAAB we cleaned the other day.  Unfortunately, I don't have a before picture but it's done 175k miles and the wheels were absolutely caked in solid black brake dust before using Bilberry.

IMG_20160116_155419.jpg

Edited by naxtek