SAGA Motor Insurance. Charging :£10 Renewal arrangement fee:

Ootohere

On 30/01/2016 at 09:05, Skoffski said:

So in comes my Certificate & Policy, i had notice of how much my Renewal was a few weeks ago.

Been with them for years, so i thought best check all the Declaration, vehicle and insured details are correct.

So in the cost.

Comprehensive. £XX.XX

No Claim Protected (Yes / Free)

Legal Protection. £28.50

(& Discounts & Charges) 

Renewal arrangement fee £10.     *That is a charge of £10 for renewing*

So it says.

"The amount payable includes Insurance Premium  Tax where applicable.

*The arrangement fee of £10 is charged under a separate contract with Sage Services Limited."

I look forward to where i signed and accepted this SEPARATE CONTRACT to pay a £10 Charge 

for them to arrange my Insurance Renewal with them.

No doubt at some point they sent me something telling me in with previous letters, but they need to tell me where and when.

Only £10, but they are at it, IMO.

CHEAP, compared to AF, who charge up to £45 FOR ARRANGING A POLICY ETC. Strange, as I'd always thought that the brokers got paid by the insurance companies for introducing clients. SO have we got a new breed of greedy brokers, who NEED to be named and shamed.

List 1- Adrian Flux for a £45 renewal /intro fee on my last policy. Sadly, AF profits fell as I told them that I'd go elsewhere and BE A "brand new customer" ,elsewhere and get the benefit of nt paying for the privilege of them renewing my policy and getting paid by both sides.

Feel free to add other brokers in list 2- infinity. Perhaps it's time to name and shame the brokers on here who offer ( but don't live up to the promises) of cheaper insurance for bog standard motorists, with a good claims record and a clean sheet.

• Like 1

'Saga no more' for me five years ago.

Saga's first year premium was competitive (rather than cheap) but increased 33% for second year cover, despite no motoring offences and 50 years NCD.  Saga refused to even discuss the considerably lower quote I had received from Direct Line because there was a marginal difference in excesses between the two policies.  The Saga rep I spoke to was abrupt, almost to the point of rudeness.

Here in Brum, AA & RAC insurance seems uncompetitive at around £100 more than Direct Line.  It's probably be a postcode thing but it shows the importance of shopping around every year.  And when I swapped my Roomster for a Yeti, Direct Line made no charge for change of vehicle and even refunded a few quid because they considered the Yeti a lower risk.

• Like 1

it's as the old Nationwide ad " Brand new customers only".  I've gone back with RAC this year again, as their quote ( even with the addition of legal cover ,free for first year) made it cheaper than a lot of other companies.

As I've said before- no one charges you if you take out a life policy. Rather the reverse- the broker/agent gets a commision, so I rather suspect that the brokers are using the line of "arrangement fees" as another excuse to fleece the motorist. PERHAPS an AF rep MIGHT be brave enough to come on here and explain WHY AF  wants £45 to renew, when BISL don't charge.

• 9 months later...

Just to mix it up some more ...

I was insured with RAC, but I changed car and rang them to amend details.

"We can't insure that car with your current insurer, we would have to give you a new policy "

Ok, says I, does that mean I have to pay a cancellation fee ?

"No, as you are staying with us"

I ask the new premium and it has more than doubled !

So I ask what my cancellation fee is (worked out at just under £50).

Go on t'internet and get quotes, see Saga is a fiver more than best quote but is £150 less excess.

I go back a few days later and saga has disappeared of the comparison site, go direct for a quote and get it £15 less than the best quote still with £150 less excess … SOLD :)

Honestly I think half the time they stick a pin in a random group of numbers for the price !

Scrolling down the comparison site, the 4 most expensive are literally 5 times the price and want a black box fitted 🤣