Justifying an upgrade to a MK3 from a MK2 FL

Ok,

So I got a great deal when I purchased my MK2 FL back in 2010 and have been thinking about upgrading to a MK3. I Like the MK3 but from my estimation I'm looking at a £8k-£9k trade-in (32K on the clock + Full Skoda History) with at least a £23.5K spend (used carwow for a starting place) on the MK3 with my Spec.

So here is my dilemma:-

The MK2 in my spec I got for £16.4K new which was a great figure in my eyes for the car (paid in full the day I got it)

I cannot get my head around paying £7K more at the new price and I cannot see £14K+ improvement in the car but I do like the MK3.

I'm interested in peoples thoughts especially if you have had the same issue and did you stick or swap?

I loved my VRS mk2 and the mk3 is nice but a huge jump in price so I bought my R36 instead 3 years ago still saved 11k on the new price then . It also seems owners are getting little in terms of trade in , but then still ask silly money for that same car on the forecourt

You don't say what model you have but I wonder if your anticipated trade in price might be a bit high? Apart from cost, the increased size of the Mk3 puts me off - I don't need the extra space - so for now I'm sticking with the Mk2.

Sorry my model is in my signature but it is a VRS.

R36, very nice. Have never thought of something like that?

I love the Mk2 VRS still but always thinking of getting something newer. May be the new superb but may be just a little big for what I really require.

The days of cheap Skoda's are over.

The last run of the MkII vRS (including the Blackline) was as cheap as it'll ever be again.

Since then the Skoda brand has become fashionable.

My mate tried to get himself into a MkIII Octavia but ended up getting a brand new Audi A4 Sport for less money.

• Like 1

I've been pondering over the same situation myself for nearly a year now. I've decided that there's nothing wrong with my mk2 vrs, it's a great car and that I'll keep it until the mk3 is towards the end of its shelf life - then see if there's any good end of run deals and consider my options then.

• Like 1

I imagine youd be disapointed because it will be the same car with a bit of a facelift here and there, you wont be able to tell that much difference, the same models keep the core elements over and over. I think only way you'd feel value for money is if you got a different car or if you were having a lot of niggles and problems with your current car.

Edited by solidsponge

You are paying more for Skoda's recent marketing success and the amount of tech and toys. It's a better car in almost every department but unless you really want one and your MKII is high mileage and you have spare cash then you should probably stick with your MkII. I kept my MKII VRS for 7 yrs and it was fantastic, I had the money, wanted a change and wanted a new car with all the toys. After looking at many cars, the price, space, performance still made me choose a MkIII. If you need a guaranteed value for PCP end of term you might be disappointed, because although the new model costs significantly more, it's retail second hand value drops dramatically. They are very good cars but due to the price rise and lack of VAT free deals are much more expensive. I still wouldn't go back to BMW though. For the money and standard of performance and economy it puts other brands to shame.

I've been pondering over the same situation myself for nearly a year now. I've decided that there's nothing wrong with my mk2 vrs, it's a great car and that I'll keep it until the mk3 is towards the end of its shelf life - then see if there's any good end of run deals and consider my options then.

I'm the same, probably nearly a year now pondering. Coming to the decision to stick for a while longer or move away from Skoda for something completely different.

This is a topic I discussed on a thread about a year ago - was the MKIII a significant upgrade on the MKII to justify the extra cost?? - IMHO the answers still remains an emphatic no. As I previously commented a year ago, the MKII FL vRS was the last Skoda to hit the right balance of good product/competitive pricing.

Still got mine, admittedly toyed with selling it but will now keep it to the bitter end. Done 102k since new in 2010 when bought VAT free!!!! Can't see Skoda doing that again. She's looked after really well and serviced every 10k!!!

Skoda have shifted their cross-hairs on a different target market and are no longer the value proposition they once were so I won't be buying the MKIII at what would be £27k+ based on a similar spec as my MKII. Also I don't need another load-lugger so I decided to spend considerably less of my hard-earned cash on a new Mazda MX-5 Sport Recaro.

This is a topic I discussed on a thread about a year ago - was the MKIII a significant upgrade on the MKII to justify the extra cost?? - IMHO the answers still remains an emphatic no. As I previously commented a year ago, the MKII FL vRS was the last Skoda to hit the right balance of good product/competitive pricing.

Still got mine, admittedly toyed with selling it but will now keep it to the bitter end. Done 102k since new in 2010 when bought VAT free!!!! Can't see Skoda doing that again. She's looked after really well and serviced every 10k!!!

Skoda have shifted their cross-hairs on a different target market and are no longer the value proposition they once were so I won't be buying the MKIII at what would be £27k+ based on a similar spec as my MKII. Also I don't need another load-lugger so I decided to spend considerably less of my hard-earned cash on a new Mazda MX-5 Sport Recaro.

Thats good to hear a 2010 @ 102K doing well. From your detail yours looks to be a diesel and I must say my petrol  @34K also serviced every 12 months (about 6K a year) has been looked after.

Your £27K spec seems about the same as I did on the carwow which got me a quote back of £23.2K.

All the responses on here are telling me to stick unless I have the desire to spend £££££££££££££'s and really want the MK3.

The responses you've had so far are based on cold-hearted facts and figures with no emotional attachment to the decision. In reality this is how you need to approach this if you can - it's certainly what I did. Ask yourself the question - Is this car going to give me a significantly better experience for significantly more money?? The fact you are questioning it already suggests you've already got your answer but on the flip-side whenever was a car purchase not tinged (to varying degrees) with emotional attachment??

If you still intend looking get a price from Drive the Deal. I got a much, much better deal on my Mazda via DTD than carwow.

The responses you've had so far are based on cold-hearted facts and figures with no emotional attachment to the decision. In reality this is how you need to approach this if you can - it's certainly what I did. Ask yourself the question - Is this car going to give me a significantly better experience for significantly more money?? The fact you are questioning it already suggests you've already got your answer but on the flip-side whenever was a car purchase not tinged (to varying degrees) with emotional attachment??

If you still intend looking get a price from Drive the Deal. I got a much, much better deal on my Mazda via DTD than carwow.

If everyone used your cold-hearted approach to changing their car for a new one then car sales in the UK would drop dramatically!

I have a MKII vRS that is approaching 4 years old. Changing it for a one year old version would cost me around £9-10K - no way is that worth it to me. However, I won't be replacing it with another Octavia vRS, partly because I no longer need a car of that size with a boot that big. My mileage has also dropped from 13K to less than 8K per year so also probably going back to petrol.

Edited by philbes

If everyone used your cold-hearted approach to changing their car for a new one then car sales in the UK would drop dramatically!I have a MKII vRS that is approaching 4 years old. Changing it for a one year old version would cost me around £9-10K - no way is that worth it to me. However, I won't be replacing it with another Octavia vRS, partly because I no longer need a car of that size with a boot that big. My mileage has also dropped from 13K to less than 8K per year so also probably going back to petrol.

Very true! Pity my cold-hearted approach didn't apply to the Mazda. But like you a change in circumstance meant that I didn't need another large(ish) diesel car and I hadn't had a two seater since my 1990 Toyota MR2 GT T-Bar. So why not?? In this instance totally different type of car for a different set of circumstance. If my circumstances were the same and I needed a load-lugger then I wouldn't swap my MKIII for a MKIII...............

Very true! Pity my cold-hearted approach didn't apply to the Mazda. But like you a change in circumstance meant that I didn't need another large(ish) diesel car and I hadn't had a two seater since my 1990 Toyota MR2 GT T-Bar. So why not?? In this instance totally different type of car for a different set of circumstance. If my circumstances were the same and I needed a load-lugger then I wouldn't swap my MKIII for a MKIII...............

Apologies typo - MKII for MKIII