Security floodlight

kenny

Hi all,

I've been looking for a security floodlight (PIR) but was looking to see if you could get a dual function.

Ideally I'd want it running dusk till dawn at say 33-50% light output then on pir detection it would raise to full 100%

Would prefer LED but not sure if light exists, any help much appreciated

I havn't heard of a light doing that function, the only way round it I can see is if you have a dusk till dawn light with an LED or fluorescent lamp and then a halogen security light as well

I would stay away from built in LED lights, they are pretty bright and consume low power but the reliability isn't good enough and then you end up having the change the whole unit, i have tired a few and they have all ended up in the bin along with the potential energy savings

After all, they don't spend that much time actually 'on'

• Like 1

Toolstation now do replacement LED bulbs (6W vs the standard 150W+ in 78 and 118mm) as a fitment for standard floodlights, at £4.98 so a replacement light is not always required. You may still need a separate lamp for the dusk till dawn lighting.

Another "don't know if the dim option is available". Possibly is but at what cost?

I'D BE TEMPTED TO LOOK AT .I HAVE A 500W halogen out back, and it's only on for minutes at a time, except for when I bypass the sensor ( dog out back/ Swimbo getting in washing) .

But ( and I'm not up on the reliability of LED, UNDER RUN) , if it's possible to use a dimmer on an external LED set, then some sort of switching on a PIR LED lamp should be possible.

BUT- with the extra cost of a switch panel, I'd suggest that the better option would be two lights( and even then on the PIR one, switching is possible) ,with a dawn to dusk photo cell controlling the low wattage one.