Radiator fan not running

skippy41

I noticed today that my radiator fan was not running, so went to see a mechanic , he asked me to turn on my manual air con, and nothing happened.

he recons it wasn't re gassed when the engine was changed.

would diagnostics show any fault with the rad fan thermo switches, or would re gassing sort the fan out

If the air con pressure is too high or low there should be a code. There are also plenty of measuring blocks for the air con to easily figure out what is going on.

Can you tell the air con is working? I know it can be difficult in this weather

Is there 1 fan or 2?

Edited by SuperbTWM

The fan will be controlled by the high side pressure sensor for the air con and will only run if the pressure is sufficiently high enough to warrant it. 

Even on cool days, the fan will eventually kick in as the condenser coil will warm up, causing the refrigerant pressure to rise accordingly. The fan runs to force cool air through the condenser to force the refrigerant to condense into a liquid, thus reducing the pressure. 

You should be able to feel chilled air with the system on full blast, provided the outdoor temperature is above 4ºC or thereabouts. 

There are 2 silver coloured A/C pipes on the driver's side of the engine bay, one should be body temperature (the smaller pipe of the two) and the other (larger pipe) around 2-5ºC when the A/C is running at full pelt. 

The fan has never run just to cool the engine,when the aircon is off, apart from the time it was overheating due to a cracked head, the temp sits at 90 all day long once warmed up

Edited by skippy41

Unless you can prove whether or not the A/C works in the first place, it's hard to know if the fan will run or not. 

If the system has no gas in it, then obviously it will never run as it will be held off by a low pressure fault. 

If and when the system is re gassed. I strongly advise you have the filter drier replaced at the same time. This is designed to catch any rubbish floating around in the A/C system.

More importantly, it catches and absorbs any moisture in the system to prevent damage. If the system has been sat with air in it for ages, the moisture in that air will saturate the drier and render it pretty useless once the R134a is recharged. 

The first thing I'd do is get a diagnostic on the A/C to determine if it's empty or if there's another fault with the system.