Loud squealing noise from front OS?

Bellaa

Hi guys, had this problem for a few weeks now, every time I cold start the engine, it makes a squealing noise as I'm about to set off, if I let the engine warm up however, the sound goes.

I've read up about it and people on several forums have suggested numerous possibilities, ranging from fan belt, to alternator, to clutch. Does anybody know what it could be?

It also is more prominent when the heaters are on. 

I have a MK1 1.4 MPi if that's any consolation.

P.S. I could upload a video of it if it would make it easier to identify the noise?

All comments are appreciated. Thank you :).

It's either the:

- Aux belt is loose

- The aux belt tensioner bearing is worn

- The alternator pulley bearing is worn

I'd agree with above and change the aux belt as it is dirt cheap and easy to do yourself. 

I've recently had a similar thing and diagnosed it as alternator worn pulley bearings.  I'm in the process of swapping this out (just waiting for new part to arrive) and will do a write-up on DIY alternator pulley replacement in the next few weeks.  Easiest way to diagnose is to first of all swap the belt for a new one (if it is due a replacement).  If this doesn't work, take the belt off and check for any roughness or end play on the alternator and tensioner pullies.

Auxilliary belt is probably the easiest and cheapest to check and change. The rubber is probably hard in this cold weather and slips on the pulley. Does it do it when starting the car up?

Andy

Yeah if I'm on an early start as well, especially. (because it's obviously colder).

Yeah if I'm on an early start as well, especially. (because it's obviously colder).

Yeah sounds like what I've had in the past. You could check that the tension is okay but if its only started doing it recently then its probably the belt giving up

Easy and cheap to change anyway

• 6 months later...