Remove door trim

josj

I don't fancy chrome, so I'm considering my options in getting rid of it. I will probably have the trim around the windows foil wrapped, but I don't know how to do with the trim on the door sides. The best would be if it could be removed and give a nice, clean look. But that depends on how it is attached to the door. Does anyone know if there are any holes in the doors, or if it's just using double adhesive tape?

The lower strips on the doors are held on with adhesive. If you look at this listing you can see the tear offs that protect the adhesive prior to application. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Skoda-Superb-Chrome-Sill-Protector-Scuff-Moulding-Strips-KGA800001-/131577964898

KGA800001 is the part number for the set of strips. 

Removing the trip will still leave a gap. You're better off coating it in plastidip or similar if you want less chrome.

Edited by psycholist

Removing the trip will still leave a gap. You're better off coating it in plastidip or similar if you want less chrome.

How is the gap? Is there gap that the trim fits into or something? I was hoping the door would just be smooth and flat behind the trim, but it seems like that isn't the case then.

Maybe I can get another set and have them painted in the same color as the car (which is Candy White by the way)

Found some threads now that I know what to search for (side strip/bump strip). English isn't my native language.

Seems like quite a hassle to get the glue off, but could end up nice.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got around to take some pictures of the result after the de-chroming. The trim around the windows has been foil wrapped professionally and I dipped the wheels myself. Some of the dip has already come off though, because if degreaser dripping from the fender. Will probably buy some new wheels when it's time to change the tyres.1b7bae1e58f6b7a8d139337a4bd3c047.jpg

Edited by josj
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

i want to do something similar to mine, how did you remove the trim from around the windows josj.?

i previously plastidip the roof bars an the trim around the windows and the lower door strips but it didn't come out to good so i peeled it off lol. 

• 3 years later...
On 13/06/2017 at 12:56, mcin01 said:

i want to do something similar to mine, how did you remove the trim from around the windows josj.?

i previously plastidip the roof bars an the trim around the windows and the lower door strips but it didn't come out to good so i peeled it off lol. 

Hi, 

Does anyone have an answer to this please as I am also wanting the chrome removed.

Many thanks