Superb I number plate light

Hi all,

Hate for my first post on any forum to be a request for help!

I have a Superb Edition 100, nice car but trying to tidy up a few problems. The rear tailgate is rusty around the lights, I've read this is due to water getting in and sitting against a foam seal (long since perished).

I opened it up and had a look, it's pretty hard to describe not knowing the exact terminoligy but hopefully someone will undestand! The bulb holder part which incorporates the plastic lens is knackered, the contact is completely corroded away on one side, the part which this same electrical contact sits against on the body of the car is also goosed, completely gone.

I'm just wondering if any kind person can point me in the direction of where I could buy these parts and also just very rough instructions on how to get the offending article out.

Thanks all for having me on your forum, it really is a treasure trove of info on these cars and I look forward to contributing over the next wee while.

Cheers

Best bet would be a scrapyard.  The whole part including the lights, plastic moulding and door handle / switch is one piece I believe.

I've not had it out myself - you can buy all the workshop manuals for the car for about £5 via the ERWIN website (information site for 3rd party repairers).  Comes as PDFs which you can keep on your phone, etc.

Best bet would be a scrapyard.  The whole part including the lights, plastic moulding and door handle / switch is one piece I believe.

I've not had it out myself - you can buy all the workshop manuals for the car for about £5 via the ERWIN website (information site for 3rd party repairers).  Comes as PDFs which you can keep on your phone, etc.

That's great, I'll see if I can find one being broken on eBay or something. The tailgate is rusty, the car is unfortunately just over ten years old by a couple of months. Took it into Skoda in Dunfermline but they didn't want to know.

I'll need to look into that workshop manual, it's something I was actually looking for so if I can get them for a fiver, ideal.

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old post but as an update it’s always the negative side of the bulb holder that get corroded due to electron flow you will normally find both lights are affected a quick fix is to replace the contact with one from the other one giving you  one working light. 

But a pair of  LED number lights are £12 on eBay