slack somewhere in drivetrain?

Hey all,

Wondering if you can help with my lovely BKD based car! I've noticed for a while some slack when accelerating which can be felt very easily if you're using first gear in a carpark or similar and makes you have to try really hard to crawl smoothly. As another example, if you're on a flat piece of road just maintaining your speed, then put your foot down the tacho will jump up about 50rpm then instantly settle back down to where it was, and the car then accelerates as you'd expect.

I'm pretty sure its not clutch slip, the RPM jump is too small and it certainly if you were to test the clutch in 5th will not slip at all. Whether its relevant or not I also have a rather metallic tapping sound on shutdown when you have your foot off the clutch in neutral. I'm guessing it's something gearbox or DMF related but I'd appreciate any input any of you can give :)

Thanks

Edited by -mike-

I had a a bit of slop in my Golf BKC. I think it was the combination of the driveshafts (noticed play in them when I did the CV boots) and part of me thought there was some play in the gearbox/diff as well. (I think the remap didn't help)

I had the same symptoms as you regarding using first gear and hearing clunks as you let off the pedal, never noticed any fluctuations with RPM though. My Mrs never noticed it so it never got repaired and we sold it on

Edited by SuperbTWM

Check your CV joints as clunking when pulling away is a classic sign.

It doesn't really clunk when pulling away, its more when you come off the throttle when Dorris pulls out infront of you on a roundabout!

I had a a bit of slop in my Golf BKC. I think it was the combination of the driveshafts (noticed play in them when I did the CV boots) and part of me thought there was some play in the gearbox/diff as well. (I think the remap didn't help)

I had the same symptoms as you regarding using first gear and hearing clunks as you let off the pedal, never noticed any fluctuations with RPM though. My Mrs never noticed it so it never got repaired and we sold it on

The dealer went full tilt checking the fuel pump etc for the fault I've described - no idea why, thankfully it's under warranty but I think maybe play in the gearbox and a driveshaft issue may be on the money :)

Thanks both of you for your reply :)

It doesn't really clunk when pulling away, its more when you come off the throttle when Dorris pulls out infront of you on a roundabout!

Could be the engine mount then.