335d Xdrive am I nuts?

Aspman

Very nice!

What headlights does it have?

Round ones.

Halogens I think. Don't really notice any difference to the Xenons that were on the Mazda.

Thought they looked like Halogens, unusual for such a high spec car to have them!

I thought they looked like halogen as well.

BMW (may be other "premium brands" as well) seem a little odd when it comes to standard equipment and options people choose. We couldn't find a single "nearly new" x3 at the time with memory seats and xenons, but almost every car had "premium entertainment" with the bigger screen even though it's an expensive option. Volvo on the other hand, almost all the D5 XC60s basically had every option offered.

I suppose minimal options will become even more common as people move to leases.

Edited by gullyg

This is a pre LCI car and apparently the LCI only has the option of standard halogens or LEDs.

I think on mine it was halogen or adaptive xenons. Cos they were adaptive they weren't cheap so not widely specced.

I did once spec a new 335d, I was surprised at how reasonable the options were on it but then you start to realise you need to spec rather a lot of them to get exactly the car you want.

[grumpy hat on] Things it's missing I've had on other cars which I miss-

Electric Folding mirrors (option)

Armrest power socket (option)

Lumbar adjustment (electric seats only, option)

Heated front screen (not an option)

Was glad to see it has "Unfathomable ICE" fitted as standard just like the Mazda.

But then what I really bought it for was a 300+ hp twin turbo engine and four wheel drive.

• Like 2

Mine (and all the other ex-bMW staff 335d that were there) has premium sound, satnav, extended info display, heated seats and exterior lighting (puddle lights) as options.

Ah not too bad then.

I fell into the trap you almost did aspman - about £12k worth of options before discount. But then it's a car we're apparently keeping for 10 years.

As for grumpy hat: I had to pay for map pockets on the backs of the seats!

What I wasn't allowed (by swmbo) to pay for was the 35d :( - she insisted after 2x vRSs we were getting a more "sedate" car.

Edited by gullyg

Sensible shoes on I think I should be able to get 42-47mpg from it. Which is remarkable considering how much power is on tap.

Sensible shoes off and you're quickly into petrol V6 consumption.

Cheers peeps appreciated the positive comments.

Certainly its the first time since my VRS that I have a car I just want to drive.

Few more pictures as requested.

post-18480-0-13553000-1485107159_thumb.jpg

post-18480-0-66843100-1485107170_thumb.jpg

Couple of problems I have spotted. One of the radio buttons has split, it's only apparent when the lights are on. Seems quite common on the F30 and fixed under warranty.

Also when moving the steering wheel position I spotted that the binnacle glass is cracked. Spoke to sales manager and passed pictures on. Hopefully both things will get fixed without argument.

Also thinking about mudflaps, it does seem to kick up a lot of muck. Washed car this morning, 50mi later, needs washed.

• Like 1

Cheers peeps appreciated the positive comments.

Certainly its the first time since my VRS that I have a car I just want to drive.

Few more pictures as requested.

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

Couple of problems I have spotted. One of the radio buttons has split, it's only apparent when the lights are on. Seems quite common on the F30 and fixed under warranty.

Also when moving the steering wheel position I spotted that the binnacle glass is cracked. Spoke to sales manager and passed pictures on. Hopefully both things will get fixed without argument.

Also thinking about mudflaps, it does seem to kick up a lot of muck. Washed car this morning, 50mi later, needs washed.

Looks lovely Aspman. Shame about the infotainment button and dash binacle...you'd think being an approved used BM these things would have been spotted and addressed as part of its prep but I am sure you'll get it sorted by the dealer no arguments.

They're just the standard wheels. The optional ones were 20".

The rears are 255/35. I'll get ready to have a wee cry when then need replaced.

It's good to be back in a blue car. Like Race Blue on the VRS I think this just works really well. My mate's 4yr old daughter complemented me on it this morning which is nice.

They're just the standard wheels. The optional ones were 20".

The rears are 255/35. I'll get ready to have a wee cry when then need replaced.

It's good to be back in a blue car. Like Race Blue on the VRS I think this just works really well. My mate's 4yr old daughter complemented me on it this morning which is nice.

I do believe they are an option wheel, the standard wheels are not diamond cut.

fmpfa.jpg

I do believe they are an option wheel, the standard wheels are not diamond cut.

fmpfa.jpg

Correct Ally, the 19's are optional either on their own or as part of the M Sport Plus pack I gather.

All the 335ds are MSport or Luxury.

So I'd taken these to be the norm for an MSport version. Honest truth is that I'm not a massive fan of diamond cut alloys. these are fine because they're not too garish.

[Clicky click] Ok they are options. Never really noticed - 19" M Star-spoke style light alloy wheels

2 hours ago, Wardy said:

Latest pictures look good. Agreed on the colour; works really well B)

I'd probably de-badge the rear, but that might just be me. 

No I agree, would look better de-badged.

On 1/22/2017 at 10:06, pipsypreturnsagain said:

Lovely motor Aspman, I think they are probably the most complete daily driver out there. If I were doing less miles, be what I would be driving.

If I were doing less miles I'd have got an XFR 5.0 or an M5 :devil: 

• Like 2

Into BMW today.

Bit disappointed tbh. Not really all that interested in fixing things.

With the crack the service manager claims no way his guys would have missed that. Which by implication means they say I did it. Which I bleeding well didn't.

This isn't a great day for me today tbh and I'm somewhat on edge anyway. So I did blow up at them in a minor way.

Anyway they are putting it in  as a warranty claim and we have to see what BMW say. Apparently they're not very generous with their warranties. The Dealer doesn't want to repair because they can't buy the glass, it's the whole dash unit £1500.

How did you miss them you might say. Well the button only shows when illuminated and that crack is completely hidden by the steering wheel unless you move the adjustment quite far out. I hadn't needed to move it much so it was really by chance I spotted it at all.

Button seems to be a known issue (as usual never seen by your particular dealer)

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1463192

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1241380

With the crack the service manager said he did a 'pen test' which is to run a pen down the crack to look for chips which would indicate an impact to cause the break (they do the same with glass) there was nothing. My guess is is was damaged when fitting, you can see a very straight crack through the black surround, that shouldn't be there, I'd guess it's been there since the factory. Think that has created a stress point. However, they missed it in inspection and I didn't see it until a week after taking the car. Which probably means I'm fecked.

button.PNG

crack.PNG

Edited by Aspman

Well there you go I am a cynical bugger.

Phone call today, BMW has approved both items under warranty. £3k worth of parts

• Like 3

Does she have the coupe?

I've seen one other Estoril blue in town but it's not a saloon. Still have the 65 plate on mine it'll change to my private 77 when I pull me finger out.