335d Xdrive am I nuts?

Aspman

I'd stll take nearly new first tbh on straight hp.

Dealers looking and I'm also considering 5 series touring.

Would also take 330d rwd if the price was right. Hotels aren't that expensive if I get stuck.

• Like 2

I looked at these last year and decided the 330d xdrive was the best solution, just could not justify the extra for the 335.

There are loads of less then a year old low mileage 330d xdrives for low to mid £20's no need to be around £40k but that is your prerogative :)

There is a nice 2015 advertised as £40k new 6k miles and now only £24990that is a fair amount of depreciation in a year?

Getting shot of two cars that you own outright to get a huge debt on one car does sound a little crazy but you know your finances.

Edited by Defenderben

WBAC initial offer matches the dealer. So I'd expect to be knocked down a bit.

Need to chase Nissan since I asked them for a figure to buy back the Qashqui.

Peter Vardy will apparently buy back too so might try them.

Edited by Aspman

I had an M version for a week as a hire car Specifically 335d X drive M. In the dry, it may be that the rear wheel drive car could be more fun, but in the wet, deploying 465lb/ft through the rear tyres would be a no go. Personally, I was really impressed with it. OK, you don't get access to lurid oversteer, but the way the latest M3 handles being so snappy, that's probably a good thing. It gave a fair amount of throttle / steer interactivity, was consummately quick over all road types and conditions, comfortable, well screwed together and well equipped. Probably the best 3 series available at the moment. Oh, I got 46mpg out of it across a week on holiday too. Cake and eat it!

I've not seen a broker offering £10k or more yet.

I've seen discounts at that level before but not sure if this quarter is doing so much.

Broadspeed currently offering 9400 off, but that is on a base-spec version. Starting adding options and I suspect the discount will climb to the 10k mark :-)

I've seen discounts at that level before but not sure if this quarter is doing so much.

Broadspeed currently offering 9400 off, but that is on a base-spec version. Starting adding options and I suspect the discount will climb to the 10k mark :-)

Broker4cars shows just under £9K but does have a PCP reckoner, which although you can't alter the rates, does give you an idea what can be achieved :) That's were I got the £350 a month with £7k down :)

Btw Chris, my MB C350Cdi had around 460lb/ft and it was RWD. It was never a major problem, although sometimes traction was a little limited :D Perhaps it's just a 3 series issue?

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 2

Going to visit the Dundee dealer on Friday.

335d is xdrive only.

Active suspension is 'only' £500 so probably just worth getting if I do go down the new route.

I've got some time anyway, still waiting on the funds to actually do anything.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 3

Just done a quick search and you can get a new BMW 335D Xdrive for £31,359 (£9701 off). Obviously when you choose options the price will go up but you can get around 20% discount on each option. If you contact dealers saying you can get that price you can then contact other dealers and say that this dealership is doing it for this price and if you can beat it then you get my money. That's what i done for my M135i order and i ended up getting more than 22% off the price new.

Was it sometimes a minor issue on some roads in some conditions and required a bit of tippy toeing and taking into account the conditions more than the likes of Ford Fiestas that were keen to get a shift on and up the road?

it is fair to say it was an issue that was initially minor, taking into account some conditions and some weather stuff and some tippy toeing, that could become something a little more if you were a hoonigan and planted your wellies on the rather nice AMG floor mats (my spell check initially changed wellies into willies!!-it reads very differently with that word)

Interestingly the traction control gubbins kicked in much more quickly in the MB than it does on my M-lite (even with the BMW set in nannying Comfort mode). But there again the M-lite produces maximum torx from 1.300rpm and keeps that going for ages :) it also has much lower gearing :) Anyhoo, the long and short of it, is 460lb/ft or torxes isn't really a problem with RWD, it just needs a little.....respect ;)

The only C series I've driven was the C63AMG. It was comically traction limited in the wet, would go sideways at silly speeds on a hint of throttle, but was also beautifully easy to manage over the limit. Earlier M3s where similarly easy to over drive, but the latest ones seem very spiky according to a friend that has driven one hard in the rain and hated it.

The 335d on the other hand, was very accomplished and stable when really pushing on, even in very bad conditions. Wallowy, yes, when pushed hard on undulating roads, but this seems to be a 3 series trait across the board, the rear end seems to not check vertical movement well. The 335d was better in this respect than other 3 series I have tried. To put it in perspective though, body control seems better on a Jaguar XF sport / R than the 3 series generally.

Well worth a test drive I reckon. Look past tinternet opinions and see what the car is really like.

Just done a quick search and you can get a new BMW 335D Xdrive for £31,359 (£9701 off). Obviously when you choose options the price will go up but you can get around 20% discount on each option. If you contact dealers saying you can get that price you can then contact other dealers and say that this dealership is doing it for this price and if you can beat it then you get my money. That's what i done for my M135i order and i ended up getting more than 22% off the price new.

That'll be the intention. I really don't want to wait 3 months for a factory order either.

I took a 335xd out for a test drive a few months ago and like others here, noticed a distinct 'wallowy' feel when it was driven hard.

Would a 330xd miss out on the M Sport suspension too?

None of the xdrive cars get M-Sport suspension. The only option is the active dampers. although some guys have been fitting after market springs. TBH the active damping option is probably cheaper

Friend of a friend claims to have some sort of BMW n50d.

He's had plenty of expensive cars before so it's quite possible but my mate isn't that interested in cars so he can't remember what it is.

People with a BMW X6 M50d should stay off my jacksy, because there is a car in front off me, where am i supposed to go,?

move to let them tailgate the car i want passed.?

If i brake test them once or twice to see if they are still on the phone, or i wash their windscreen, and when the road is clear for me they keep up then they can pass when safe if i am holding them up.

Barstewards.

Rant i know, but i might be childish and dangerous, but they are the ones that think their weight, brakes and seatbelt / airbags have them safe.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

Dundee BMW not interested in competing.

Just said bring back an offer in writing from anyone else and they'll match it.

But tbh if that's the case I'd just give the deal to the other guy, they've done the work.

They had a 330d in stock but it wasn't the spec I'd have wanted and it wasn't much cheaper than a new one considering it was a year old.

Had look at Audi and Merc while I was in town. Audi looked dated compared to the Beemers and Merc just looked expensive. 330d money for a C220d.