Front Brake pads for 1.9 DSG. 280 or 288mm?

My front brake pads need renewing, but I'm not sure which I need.

If I put my reg into EuroCarParts, I get two different options, one for 280mm discs and one for 288mm discs

I'm fairly sure that I've read the the DSG got the larger discs, but is that always the case?

Is there an option code on my vehicle sticker that will determine which size I have fitted?

Look in your service booklet inside front cover. There is usually a sticker with loads of 3 digit codes. These are the PR codes for your vehicle. One of these is the code for the front brake setup. Gsf usually have the applicable pr code under the vehicle info tab.

Iirc the 280mm disc pads have a straight inside edge as opposed to an curved edge for 288mm

Edited by xman

If I put my reg into EuroCarParts, I get two different options, one for 280mm discs and one for 288mm discs

I'm fairly sure that I've read the the DSG got the larger discs, but is that always the case?

Is there an option code on my vehicle sticker that will determine which size I have fitted?

Very similar car to mine, although mine - estate. Mine were 288mm. Have just checked sales invoice.

FS-III stamped in the side of the front calipers = 280mm discs.

See the picture in this thread on uk-mkivs titled "280mm FS-III Fronts" for what to look for:

http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/9932-the-brake-discussion-upgradessizesinfo/

This site shows the brake assignments according to engine size (although I've seen a couple of instances on Briskoda where the brake setup on some cars hasn't matched this - could just be due to previous owners having changed brake setup though):

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/octavia-mk2/brake_systems/technical_data/brakes/brake_variants_and_their_assignment/

Yeah not all DSG equipped cars came with 288 brakes.

Mine are 280mm. As above if there is FS-III stamped on the front brakes then they will be 280mm.

In my experience the front brake PR code isn't always on the sticker. It is in the full car data, obtainable via erWin for a small fee, or free if you have a co-operating dealership parts person.

Just look for the FSIII or absence of it on the caliper.

Edited by Wino

The 288mm disc's are only 4mm wider on the radius than the smaller 280mm ones.

If they fit inside the calliper without rubbing at the outer edge I cannot see why having the slightly larger disc's would cause too much of an issue.

This may be why some people get a ridge on the outer edge of their brake disc's. ie because their discs are slightly larger than usual / necessary?

Edited by Tilt

Have you tried putting the precise car details in, rather than the registration.

This sometimes gives a better / more accurate outcome.

Very simple, the strenght of a break depends on several factors, the weight of the car, the power of the engine etc., etc....

The simplest way is measure with a screw clamp or similar the diameter of the brake disk. Another way ist via VIN.

It is not a clever idea, changeing the complete geometrie of front/rear/right/left/ABS/ETC etc.with a simple modification of grooved or bigger or, or, or....That is not always a helpful upgrade for saving lifes or material!!

Edited by 0ctavist

Very simple, the strenght of a break depends on several factors, the weight of the car, the power of the engine etc., etc....

The simplest way is measure with a screw clamp or similar the diameter of the brake disk. Another way ist via VIN.

It is not a clever idea, changeing the complete geometrie of front/rear/right/left/ABS/ETC etc.with a simple modification of grooved or bigger or, or, or....That is not always a helpful upgrade for saving lifes or material!!

No one in this post is talking about upgrading anything, including brake's.

288mm discs will not fit 280mm setup, the disc is thicker and wont fit with new pads, it will foul the caliper and carrier. Just ring your local dealer and ask for a part no. From there you can cross reference.

Edited by xman

Have you actually just been out to look at the brakes and see if it says FS-III on the caliper or not? You can see it without taking anything off. If they are FS-III then they will be 280mm.

Ah yeah. My winter wheels are steel wheels with little round holes so you can barely see the brakes.

Looks like you'll have to remove a wheel to check then.

Mine has the FS-III brakes and so are 280mm. Looks like my rear discs and pads will need doing at some point too... no idea what size they are on the back!

Once you have worked out which size you need I would recommend the Pagid discs and pads. They are very good.

Edited by Phil-E

I contacted the dealer with my reg, and they confirmed the standard brake pad set for my car is 5K0698151, so 288mm discs. 

There is currently an offer on with ECP so a set of Pagid pads can be had for £26 so happy days :)

Glad you managed to find out in the end. It is confusing how they change it and use so many different sizes (just a few mm difference too!)

I always had it in my head that cars with DSG got 288mm brakes but it seems they changed that at some point and switched to 280mm... maybe to save a few pennies?!

I think when I got new discs and pads I paid about £70 in total with a bottle of brake fluid too.

Well I got them from CarParts4Less in the end.

A set of Pagid pads for £23.86, you really can't complain!

I guess they moved to the smaller discs to have money like you said Phil.