Bikes and hatch

Have a 150 dsg l&k due next week and am exporing bike transport will my bike fit in the back with or without front wheel and has anyone come up with a transport solution without a towbar any hints or tips gratefully recieved.

I've had my hybrid\mountain bike in the back of my estate and didn't need to take anything off the bike. I did have to remove the retractable parcel shelf though.

What worked well in a friend's Octavia II estate was to remove the front wheel and seatpost then put the bike in upside-down, rear wheel to the front of the car and handlebars on the floor keeping the bike upright.  We could get two or three bikes in and still have plenty of room for the rest of our paraphernalia.  I haven't tried this in my Superb yet though, I suspect it's not tall enough for the forks to fit in.

In my previous Alfa 156 Sportwagon, I would remove both wheels, lay the bike frame on the floor and bungee the wheels to the side of the boot using the seat back catch and one of the hooks on the floor.  This way saves lifting the whole bike at once, reduces the chance of damaging anything and isn't too much hassle; it means the bike takes up a lot of space though.

I've had a play at fitting my mountain bike in my estate now; as I suspected, the roof isn't high enough for the forks to fit in upright.  With the wheels removed, it doesn't quite fit flat in the boot either so it's necessary to fold one side of the rear seats down, see attached picture.  A road bike would fit easily.

I'm quite pleased with the folding boot liner too.

HTH,

Simon

post-140050-0-69755100-1457521507_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm sure the arrangement I've shown would work equally well in a hatch except for the wheels; I'd lay them down on top of the frame.

• Like 1

I dont have a problem getting my MTB in the back of my Octy3 hatch leaving all the wheels on. It goes ion rear wheel first then has the front wheel pointing upwards with the bars side on to the bike frame.

I guess it will be even easier in the SIII