Turbo? Noise

Hi, ive a 2001 octavia 110 tdi elegance. I have always had a weird noise that seems to be getting worse lately. Ive had the noise since i bought it at 119,000, its now done 138,000. Basically if you rev the engine at standstil, when you throttle off , there is a wa wa wa wa, noise, lately its got worse and you can hear it when the revs drop between 2nd to 3rd gearchange. The other day, the noise was coupled with the car coughing while accelerating in 3rd.there is never smoke, I do also have the occasional turbo cut out, which resets fine when restarting.

Today ive given it a damm good thrashing and added some diesel magic, (which is amazing stuff) and its better but not right. The engine is due a service as well. But I always change the oil and filter every 12 months... any ideas fellas? Is the turbo on way out or js it something worn or jammed... thanks

I have the same with my TDI 2002. I'm guessing it's to do with the sticking veins or egr. I'm going to delete the egr on mine see if that improves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah does get the occasional cough. Buy a egr delete kit, it's very easy just remove the egr block off the exhaust with the blanking plate included in the kit, then fit the delete pipe and job done.

Not that I'm aware of. To be honest it's more of a contributing factor to the veins sticking in the turbo. There is a Mr Muscle thread on here for cleaning the veins which works so I'm told. Mines only doing short journeys at the moment and is getting clogged up quicker.

I had sticky vane issues on mine.

2x vpower fills on empty

2x bottles of miller + vpower

proceeded to thrash it.

Now only fill vpower and drive with a heavy foot every now and then.

No more sticky vane issues :)

• Like 1

it sounds like the noise is a bit of turbo flutter (have a look/listen on youtube)

Check the intake piping is all sealed up as the air box etc normally muffles the sound.

EGR and sticky veins are fairly common and could be a clue to the coughing

restored horses courtesy of mr muscle here: 

Thanks mate tbh, I hate looking under the bonnet......Ill fix any petol car like my granada, but this scares me....which pipes do I check and where.

Update..... the noise is now louder and when i throttle down the engine seenes to shake as well, not badly.

Giving a run last week helped....

Hi. Well a turn up for the books this morning , pulls like a train. No noise no juddering no coughing, and a sweet turbo whistle..

When she got hot there was a bit of resistance in third and a grumble from the turbo

Im going to check all the pipework incase there is a crack that opens more when its hot..

I have the same thing now. Cleaned my egr as it was so caked up. Also took intercooler off to clean, full of oil.

Now my car sounds like it has turbo flutter. Could it still be the vanes?

Hi sorry for delay. Can you decribe the noise? Mines come back again now. Mainly when its cold or just started from hot. Its worse in third if you accelerate hard. Its almost a metalic wa wa wa sound and the engine stutters or coughs when it does it.